• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Western Force 2025

Yoda

Jim Clark (26)
Are we just talking the big names or all players? Because that makes no sense at all to me. Even with all the players who have left the Tahs and the guys already signed OS there are still going to be 15 odd players without a contract. Why would RA discourage them from signing with the Force?
Ask them.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
I’ve heard on good authority that one of your Brumbies wanted to go to the Force but was told he couldn’t. Stick that in your tin foil hat. It won’t come out because it may harm his Wallaby chances.
Yeah and I heard on good authority, they didn't... You know the more truth of the matter, if its even true, is they had a contract with the Brumbies and the Brumbies wouldn't let them go.

and unless your willing to put names to it, I think your full of shit.

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
I’ve heard on good authority that one of your Brumbies wanted to go to the Force but was told he couldn’t. Stick that in your tin foil hat. It won’t come out because it may harm his Wallaby chances.
So basically, you’d like RA to manage and distribute talent how they see fit, unless that means blocking a Force signing.

Yoda

Jim Clark (26)
So basically, you’d like RA to manage and distribute talent how they see fit, unless that means blocking a Force signing.
It’s more the BS that Rugby Australia espouses that they are trying to create 4 strong franchises.

Last edited:

Yoda

Jim Clark (26)
Yeah and I heard on good authority, they didn't... You know the more truth of the matter, if its even true, is they had a contract with the Brumbies and the Brumbies wouldn't let them go.

and unless your willing to put names to it, I think your full of shit.
We’ll agree to differ. You believe what you want to believe but Rugby Australia is hardly a well run organisation.

seabasss

Bob McCowan (2)
And yet, Feliuai disputes this…
Feliuai signed with the Brumbies, not the Force

If it was the case, and ex-Rebels are more than willing to share that, it would be remarkable if the journos had missed or passed up that story given the media climate surrounding RA and the downfall of the Rebels.
A player mentioning something in conversation with a friend is very different to speaking with a journo.

Time will tell if this is true or not, but as of now I am not aware of any RA contracted Rebels player signing with the Force, or even being linked. All the big name players have either been signed or are rumored with the East coast clubs so the Force may get to pick from scraps, if they want any of them. I've said in a forum here that I'd like to see the Force sign Ripley but right now he's playing club rugby in Brisbane.

TBH my wording was probably a little cut/dry... "Discouraged", as pnut said, is probably more accurate.

Mick The Munch

Cyril Towers (30)

A player mentioning something in conversation with a friend is very different to speaking with a journo.

Time will tell if this is true or not, but as of now I am not aware of any RA contracted Rebels player signing with the Force, or even being linked. All the big name players have either been signed or are rumored with the East coast clubs so the Force may get to pick from scraps, if they want any of them. I've said in a forum here that I'd like to see the Force sign Ripley but right now he's playing club rugby in Brisbane.

TBH my wording was probably a little cut/dry... "Discouraged", as pnut said, is probably more accurate.
Sad to agree @seabass, it was always the plan I suspect

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)

The point being that there are so many other factors at play that would have likely influenced players' decisions, regardless of RA involvement.

Let's not forget that the Force have picked up Swain, Robertson, BPA, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes), and a few others for next season - on top of White, Stewart, Donaldson, Hoopert, and others over the last couple of seasons. That's a pretty damn good injection of East Coast talent that RA didn't get in the way of (or were even supportive of)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Yes, he said his preferred options were the Brumbies and the Force…

Obviously the Brumbies needed an inside centre, the Force have a Wallaby squad member at 12, and it seems nobody told him he couldn’t head west if he wanted to.

I’d love to know which players put down the Force as their preferred destination and were were allegedly blocked…

I just don’t buy it.

Again, it comes down to the simplest explanations…

Opportunity, contract availability, and geography.

Last edited:

pnut

Charlie Fox (21)
Yes, he said his preferred options were the Brumbies and the Force…

Obviously the Brumbies needed an inside centre, the Force have a Wallaby squad member at 12, and it seems nobody told him he couldn’t head west if he wanted to.

I’d love to know which players put down the Force as their preferred destination and were were allegedly blocked…

I just don’t buy it.

Again, it comes down to the simplest explanations…

Opportunity, contract availability, and geography.
No your right well done. Feel better?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Rugby Australia very clearly tried to direct already contracted players from the Rebels to the Tahs. I don't think there is any mystery there. They cleared the decks at the Tahs because they were financially liable for the contracted Rebels players and had control over the Waratahs contracting going forward.

A whole bunch of them unsurprisingly wanted to go to the Reds (because a lot were from Queensland originally and the Reds were pretty good in 2024 and the Tahs were awful).

The reality is always likely to be that the bulk of players come from NSW and Queensland and given there's a decent contract available there, they'll probably prioritize that over heading to WA.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Rugby Australia very clearly tried to direct already contracted players from the Rebels to the Tahs. I don't think there is any mystery there. They cleared the decks at the Tahs because they were financially liable for the contracted Rebels players and had control over the Waratahs contracting going forward.

A whole bunch of them unsurprisingly wanted to go to the Reds (because a lot were from Queensland originally and the Reds were pretty good in 2024 and the Tahs were awful).

The reality is always likely to be that the bulk of players come from NSW and Queensland and given there's a decent contract available there, they'll probably prioritize that over heading to WA.
Marvelous to have such an 'even playing field' across the 4 Australians teams (sarc).

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
The point being that there are so many other factors at play that would have likely influenced players' decisions, regardless of RA involvement.

Let's not forget that the Force have picked up Swain, Robertson, BPA, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes), and a few others for next season - on top of White, Stewart, Donaldson, Hoopert, and others over the last couple of seasons. That's a pretty damn good injection of East Coast talent that RA didn't get in the way of (or were even supportive of)
Oh and White wanted to stay at the Brumbies but RA wanted him to move...

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Marvelous to have such an 'even playing field' across the 4 Australians teams (sarc).
Maybe some of these guys with all the inside information and players ears should convince them to go to the Force. Seems like since you all have such close and personal relationships shouldn't be to hard to do.

Mr Pilfer

Dave Cowper (27)
I would like to see some more transparency with the Wallaby top up system and how it actually works.

e.g. how much of Tupou's salary do NSW pay and how much do Wallabies pay? How much counts towards the salary cap?

Does someone like Will Harris for the Force for example cost the Force more in $$$ and salary cap space than Tupou or Leota or Kellaway cost the Tahs ?

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I would like to see some more transparency with the Wallaby top up system and how it actually works.

e.g. how much of Tupou's salary do NSW pay and how much do Wallabies pay? How much counts towards the salary cap?

Does someone like Will Harris for the Force for example cost the Force more in $$$ and salary cap space than Tupou or Leota or Kellaway cost the Tahs ?
Its by nature unfair and I don't think there is any easy way to resolve it.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)

Maybe someone more enlightened can correct me if I’m wrong but I think you’ve touched on a key point there BH. My understanding is that RA effectively low balled some players that the Tahs would have otherwise liked to keep as they knew they had to find a home for a group of Rebels players.

Whilst I completely understand angst from Force supporters (and Brumbies supporters at this point of time) with the lack of apparent signings it is worth noting that the Tahs also seem to have had to give up some players they would’ve liked to keep to make room.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Maybe someone more enlightened can correct me if I’m wrong but I think you’ve touched on a key point there BH. My understanding is that RA effectively low balled some players that the Tahs would have otherwise liked to keep as they knew they had to find a home for a group of Rebels players.

Whilst I completely understand angst from Force supporters (and Brumbies supporters at this point of time) with the lack of apparent signings it is worth noting that the Tahs also seem to have had to give up some players they would’ve liked to keep to make room.

This is absolutely my understanding of the issue.

RA had to make space for a number of players from the Rebels who were already contracted and the Waratahs was the only team where they had control to create that space.