• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Western Force 2025

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
I would like to see some more transparency with the Wallaby top up system and how it actually works.

e.g. how much of Tupou's salary do NSW pay and how much do Wallabies pay? How much counts towards the salary cap?

Does someone like Will Harris for the Force for example cost the Force more in $$$ and salary cap space than Tupou or Leota or Kellaway cost the Tahs ?
All Wallaby top-ups are excluded from the Super Rugby salary cap.

Iain Payten reported last year re Donaldson.....
Under Rugby Australia’s new contracting model, a group of around 40 top players are contracted directly by RA but the deals still require the state to pay the first $200,000 of the salary, and to agree to a preferred position nominated by RA.
The Tahs weren't willing to pay that much for Donaldson, and presumably, the Force were.

Yoda

Jim Clark (26)
This is absolutely my understanding of the issue.

RA had to make space for a number of players from the Rebels who were already contracted and the Waratahs was the only team where they had control to create that space.
That seems to make sense BH. If the Force then have the weakest squad moving forward though, it will only strengthen Rugby Australia’s case to whittle the teams down to 3. I am assuming they finish down the bottom, because with injuries their depth isn’t great. Wouldn’t having the Force strongest of all sides help boost rugby in WA? Isn’t that the aim? Since Queensland and NSW provide most of top level rugby players, they will no doubt continue to do so and hence their sides will generally be pretty good. If you look at the NRL and the Storm. How long do you think they would have kept them going if they were perennial losers? I’m only throwing up questions because I don’t know the answers.

Yoda

Jim Clark (26)
All Wallaby top-ups are excluded from the Super Rugby salary cap.

Iain Payten reported last year re Donaldson.....

The Tahs weren't willing to pay that much for Donaldson, and presumably, the Force were.
They probably couldn’t afford to? I’m sure if Will Harrison was offered something reasonable he would’ve have left for Japan? That’s right. They have paid Sua'ali'i ridiculous money. He needs to score 3 tries every game and have 100% kicking accuracy off the tee to repay his worth!

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
They probably couldn’t afford to? I’m sure if Will Harrison was offered something reasonable he would’ve have left for Japan? That’s right. They have paid Sua'ali'i ridiculous money. He needs to score 3 tries every game and have 100% kicking accuracy off the tee to repay his worth!
Yeah the reporting was the Tahs already had Edmed, Jack Bowen and Will Harrison under contract, so couldn't justify paying Donaldson as well.

dru

David Wilson (68)
If the intent of the salary cap is to spread talent it has been incredibly poorly put together. The main goal looks to be keeping a lid on salary growth and hopefully keeps clubs operating in their means, but even then it's had pretty mixed results.

It is distorted by the RA top up - especially where they skew from even distribution. It distorts talent distribution and it distorts the marketplace as to who get's to spend more on players.

seabasss

Bob McCowan (2)
Yeah the reporting was the Tahs already had Edmed, Jack Bowen and Will Harrison under contract, so couldn't justify paying Donaldson as well.
A note to add to this was I believe given Harrison's injury history, the Tahs had him on the minimum contract, and probably didn't offer him much more with the 3 person battle for the starting jersey. I would say this is the main reason he left for Japan - way more money and less competition to play each week.

Yoda

Jim Clark (26)
A note to add to this was I believe given Harrison's injury history, the Tahs had him on the minimum contract, and probably didn't offer him much more with the 3 person battle for the starting jersey. I would say this is the main reason he left for Japan - way more money and less competition to play each week.
Agree … imo 10’s need to play for 80 minutes unless injured. This chopping and changing and half a game each hardly helped the Tahs young 10’s. All had different styles and Coleman’s gameplay didn’t suit any of them. On it goes this year with Edmed, Bowen and possibly Creighton… pick and stick.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Agree … imo 10’s need to play for 80 minutes unless injured. This chopping and changing and half a game each hardly helped the Tahs young 10’s. All had different styles and Coleman’s gameplay didn’t suit any of them. On it goes this year with Edmed, Bowen and possibly Creighton… pick and stick.
Not Tah chat I know but I think DM will pick someone and build to a plan if the Brumbies are a Blueprint. I hope it's Bowen with Creighton as the Jack Deb option when required.

Back to the Force. Have they still got or re-signed O'Donnell? I rate him highly and genuine 12, 13s don't come around all that often at his size with ball skills.

Tazzmania

Syd Malcolm (24)
Wallaby Stewart re-signs with Force after career-best season

The Western Force are delighted to today announce the re-signing of Wallabies utility back Hamish Stewart following his career-best 2024 season.

The 26-year-old has re-committed to the Force following an outstanding 2024 Super Rugby Pacific campaign which led to his maiden Wallabies call-up for the recent Tests against Wales and Georgia, along with last week's call-up for the upcoming Tests against the Springboks where he could make his debut.

READ MORE

Yoda

Jim Clark (26)
Wallaby Stewart re-signs with Force after career-best season

The Western Force are delighted to today announce the re-signing of Wallabies utility back Hamish Stewart following his career-best 2024 season.

The 26-year-old has re-committed to the Force following an outstanding 2024 Super Rugby Pacific campaign which led to his maiden Wallabies call-up for the recent Tests against Wales and Georgia, along with last week's call-up for the upcoming Tests against the Springboks where he could make his debut.

READ MORE
He needs to debut for 12 in the Wallabies. Great player and a fantastic season.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
Biggest impediment on Hamish playing consistently for the Wallabies I think is our lack of creativity at flyhalf. Hamish would excel with a prime Quade at 10, he provides some defensive starch and does all the skills right.

I worry that having him line up next to the likes of Donaldson, Lolesio etc and we dont have a lot of points in us from a backs perspective.

Yoda

Jim Clark (26)
Biggest impediment on Hamish playing consistently for the Wallabies I think is our lack of creativity at flyhalf. Hamish would excel with a prime Quade at 10, he provides some defensive starch and does all the skills right.

I worry that having him line up next to the likes of Donaldson, Lolesio etc and we dont have a lot of points in us from a backs perspective.
I would disagree Phil. I thought the Force backline had some great games with White, Donaldson and Stewart quite instrumental in that.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Just think unfortunately he doesn’t have the flashiness looked for at Test level or at least the belief they have a highlight moment to break a game open.

I think he would perform at the level almost to the same degree he does at Super Rugby I just don’t think he has enough areas he outscores someone else if comparing even though he’s likely to be more consistent and trusted

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Has there been any official reasons why Kerevi isn't being considered? Is he injured or considered not worth it?