• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

He could be for NSW what Ben Lucas is for QLD, a halfback who can play other backline positions allowing the 5-2 split as LG already mentioned..

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I am appalled that this talented player has not been taken in hand by coaches of pro teams. What I see is so obvious to me, though just as obviously, not to others.

Forum members are often critical of the lacking of coaching or skill improvement at the elite level of our game. When should the player take responsibility for this? Could it be that Josh Holmes is uncoachable ie he is not prepared to listen? Is that why he gets 1 term contracts and has to move teams?

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Who really knows? I don't. Maybe it's mostly all his fault as you indicate, but one wonders why the Tahs took him back.

A different coach - Hickey had worked with him at Eastwood. Plus I think S14 teams will generally go for a player that has experience (eg Holmes, Stannard) over the player that doesn't (ie McKibbin, Sievert) -even more so if the experienced player is still young like Holmes.

R

rugbyfan

So my team to win the final will be:

1: Benn Robionson
2: Tatafu Polota-Nau
3: Al Baxter
4: Dean Mumm
5: Kane Douglas
6: Pat McCutcheon
7: Phil Waugh
8: Wycliff Palu
9: Luke Burgess
10: Berrick Barnes
11: Drew Mitchell
12: Tom Carter
13: Rob Horne
14: Lachie Turner
15: Kurtley Beale

16: Damien Fitzpatrick
17: Jeremy Tilse
18: Dan Vickerman
19: Dave Dennis/Ben Mowen
20: Josh Holmes/Brendan McKibben
21: Daniel Halangahu
22: BKH.

Also in contention are McCaffery, Jowitt and Caldwell

Does anyone else think Tom Carter doesn't deserve to be playing Super 15? He has been playing shocking for Uni and i personally hate him.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Does anyone else think Tom Carter doesn't deserve to be playing Super 15? He has been playing shocking for Uni and i personally hate him.

I'm sure that those GAGRs who saw the match against Eastwood will agree that he was totally out of his depth, did absolutely nothing in attack and was just road kill in defence. He was an absolute embarrassment to his parents, his wife, his local newsagent and his kindergarten teacher.

There's a slight amount of overkill there, rugbyfan. After telling us that "He has been playing shocking for Uni", it was hardly necessary to add "i personally hate him."

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'm sure that those GAGRs who saw the match against Eastwood will agree that he was totally out of his depth, did absolutely nothing in attack and was just road kill in defence. He was an absolute embarrassment to his parents, his wife, his local newsagent and his kindergarten teacher.

There's a slight amount of overkill there, rugbyfan. After telling us that "He has been playing shocking for Uni", it was hardly necessary to add "i personally hate him."

He did look pretty flat. Saying that, I think Tom Carter's style of play has a place in Rugby at the Super level. He needs to work on his offloading ability and his pace off the mark, but Australian Rugby is lacking the backline player who has bulk and will just truck the ball up from the 12 channel. Less Bieber duddering and more straight, hard running.

Carter isn't up to it at the moment, thats pretty clear. But he has time to change his game and fitness and this is the perfect opportunity, and the Tah's seem to be willing to back him.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'll admit to not being the biggest Carter fan. Serious question for Tahs supporters: what in your opinion does he offer at S15 level? With Horne in the backline (when fit), you've already got the hard straight running and solid defence. What would Carter add to that?

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'll admit to not being the biggest Carter fan. Serious question for Tahs supporters: what in your opinion does he offer at S15 level? With Horne in the backline (when fit), you've already got the hard straight running and solid defence. What would Carter add to that?

What's better than having Rob Horne in your backline? Having two Rob Hornes ;)

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
As most would realise I am far from a fan of Carter, but I would rather him than Cross. Carter is a solid defender and whilst he had a bad day against Eastwood is usually reliable. He gives no option but the crash ball in attack but an astute coach can work this into a team effectively. DO we have one of those at the Tahs?

The Tahs game plan all bar a couple of games was a lot like the Wallabies attack, flat straight line, no depth, no bodies in motion, one out runners straight into the defenders.

Personal hate is a bit much, little bit OTT.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I haven't seen him playing for Uni, so can't comment on that.

The issue is that for all the criticism of Tom Carter, he did a pretty good job for the Tahs at 12. For much of the season he played at 13, which didn't suit him. On balance, I am happy to see him in the squad as he offers things no other back do - size, strength and solidity at 12. He could work on his passing and pace off the mark, but so could many others. I'd prefer that he turn up to every match looking to bash into the opposition. His passing is fine, his defence is very good, OK, his pace off the mark isn't all that flash.

R

rugbyfan

I thought i'd vent my frustration on Tom Carter.

It goes back to when Carter had a gigantic gap created by Barnes, all he had to do was use his vision to run the unders line and it was a try under the posts (Schoolboy Level), yet he had tunnel vision and completely screwed an opportunity to score - Barnes then went over to Carter and told him which line to run with a frustrated hand signal.

Since then, Carter is nothing.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
It goes back to when Carter had a gigantic gap created by Barnes, all he had to do was use his vision to run the unders line and it was a try under the posts (Schoolboy Level), yet he had tunnel vision and completely screwed an opportunity to score - Barnes then went over to Carter and told him which line to run with a frustrated hand signal.

QUOTE]

I vividly remember that. It was a terrible skill failure for that position and I shared your frustration when he didn't hit the unders line. He appeared to be out of his depth. With the new law making for a more running game I think Carter will find it harder to be in the 22 next season. Either that or he will have to adjust his style of play. I'm just not sure whether he is up for that. His style of play would be suited to the top 14 in France at 12. There is a role for him to play there.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
"Does anyone else think Tom Carter doesn't deserve to be playing Super 15? He has been playing shocking for Uni and i personally hate him."

One really stupid comment is all it takes to start them off. Outraged by the idiocy of that statement I made a ludicrously sarcastic comment about his game against Eastwood and then we get these responses:

"He did look pretty flat. ... Carter isn't up to it at the moment."

"With Horne in the backline (when fit), you've already got the hard straight running and solid defence. What would Carter add to that?"

"whilst he had a bad day against Eastwood is usually reliable."

Actually Tom Carter's dominant display against Eastwood had a great deal to do with their capitulation in the last twenty minutes of the game. The amount of work he got through in bending their defensive line, his powerful, aggressive defence and his kick chases put sustained pressure on the Eastwood midfield, resulting in them having no gas in the tank when it really counted. Far from "playing shocking" he had an outstanding game.

With regard to Rob Horne, he has been very obviously out of form since the latter part of the Super 14 season, having very limited involvement each time he played. My suspicions were and are that he must have been running onto the field carrying injuries; yet he is still the subject of unqualified adulation.

We now get the acknowledged Carter hater coming back on to explain his outburst:

"I thought i'd vent my frustration on Tom Carter.

"It goes back to when Carter had a gigantic gap created by Barnes, all he had to do was use his vision to run the unders line and it was a try under the posts (Schoolboy Level), yet he had tunnel vision and completely screwed an opportunity to score - Barnes then went over to Carter and told him which line to run with a frustrated hand signal.

"Since then, Carter is nothing."

This provoked a supporting response:

"I vividly remember that. It was a terrible skill failure for that position and I shared your frustration when he didn't hit the unders line. He appeared to be out of his depth."

So that's what it comes down to. A single misunderstanding between two players is enough for one of them to be written off.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Tom Carter...needs to work on his offloading ability and his pace off the mark...

Tom's been in a professional environment for, what, five years and has had ample opportunities to fine tune his skills. And work on those physical aspects which need improving. What we see is what we're always going to get with Tom, and it's not good enough for Super rugby.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Tom's been in a professional environment for, what, five years and has had ample opportunities to fine tune his skills. And work on those physical aspects which need improving. What we see is what we're always going to get with Tom, and it's not good enough for Super rugby.

Well, it could go that way (and most likely will). The ball is in his court (I think you'd argue it has been for 5 or so years).

It's up to Tommy to step up now.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Noddy/Reg(?) described Carter bloody well a while ago. So I will paraphrase

Carter is the type of player that every team needs, the less talented "worker", who got their by pure attitude. He is a competitor who chases every kick; gets up and does that second and/or third tackle in a row; will tuck the ball under his arm and do his best in attack no matter who is in front of him; and is up and enthusiastic at every training session and game.

Rob42

Nicholas Shehadie (39)

Carter is the type of player that every team needs, the less talented "worker", who got their by pure attitude. He is a competitor who chases every kick; gets up and does that second and/or third tackle in a row; will tuck the ball under his arm and do his best in attack no matter who is in front of him; and is up and enthusiastic at every training session and game.

Exactly. And every coach who puts him on the team sheet does so knowing exactly what they will get, every time. And that's a big compliment, given what we've seen from some supposedly more talented players.

Reactions: DPK

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
To add to FP's paraphrasing of Noddy, Carter gets a bench spot for mine in the Tahs next year simply because you can throw him on if you get an injury and he will hold the ship. Don't expect anything special in the way of game breaking pace or handling or Rugby nous. He is that grafter.

In saying that if he starts the team has to play a game plan that allows for his limitations, ie. cut out balls and when he trucks it up the pigs have to be close behind to produce very quick ruck ball. Maybe this year he could Channel some of 'Psycho' Grey if they play him at 12, but he will have to learn to offload or pop the ball off the ground to the support runners which have to be there.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member

You guys are very harsh on the bloke. I think Noddy hit the nail on the head with his description, via fatprop, of Carter. He does a great job for the Tah's in getting them on the front foot. He knows what his job is in the team and goes out each week and does it. I think the situation mentioned with Barnes was when he we out of position at 13. I would be happy with him in my team as you can't just have superstars in your backline.

Status
Not open for further replies.