• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Don't know anything at all about the lad, but apparently he is committing himself to Oz. The Tahs could need him sooner than we think. Will Caldwell picked up a horrible virus in South Africa during the Super14 and lost 24 kgs.

Ducker is still recuperating back home in Young and he will have a long trail back to fitness, let alone full rugby fitness.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I'm quite amazed that no-one has run a story on Will's illness, poor bugger he must be thin as a rake and at a time when he was really impressing as a player

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Lee Grant said:
Don't know anything at all about the lad, but apparently he is committing himself to Oz. The Tahs could need him sooner than we think. Will Caldwell picked up a horrible virus in South Africa during the Super14 and lost 24 kgs.

Ducker is still recuperating back home in Young and he will have a long trail back to fitness, let alone full rugby fitness.

All the best to the guy, I hope he comes through OK

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
So our starting 4,5,6 would likely be

4 Thomson ?
5 Mumm
6 Mowen

With Fava, Dennis, Doherty, Roodt or Caldwell on the bench.

Could be time for NSWRU to update their player list, still got Beau Robinson listed, Palu is a Flanker/No 8 and there's no Roodt or Anesi..

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
fatprop said:
Thompson was average this season, big unit, but slow with no great workrate.
Pretty poor rock climber too.
Who's a better option though? Dennis?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Dennis has looked good at lock for Uni, but it is a bit small at the next level
Roodt will be worth a look, and we have Kane Douglas in the mix as well.
Doherty is gone and Fava still isn't playing.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
I suspect Roodt will be thrown in the deepend to see if he sinks or swims at this level.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Chris Thompson looked really good in a couple of important games the Rats had this year. There is a big gap between grade and professional rugby but Thompson has a big chance in the finals to put a case forward to Tahs coach Hickey. Those finals games are hard matches and coaches- and scouts, for that matter - take more notice of performances in such games.

It's a pity that SANZAR's timetable did not allow for the location of the 5th team in the Oz Conference to be confirmed earlier. The unknown Melbourne coach would have liked to have watched the Sydney finals series this year to assess the players in the right type of rugby. As it is: he won't be appointed until around the start of the 2010 Super14 comp and the 4 existing teams would have already warehoused promising players in their Academies for 2011.

I bet the new Super15 coach will bemoan the lack of lead time he had and the early stitching up of promising players by the existing teams. Let's hope that he doesn't also rue the move offshore of players who decided to take a bird in the hand overseas.

But I digress.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Tahs season tickets, 6 games; 5 @ SFS, 1 @ Homebush (Brumbies), $347.00

My brother pays $280.00 for Parra NRL for 13 games, 3 @ Homebush plus free tickets to any other club club game involving parra at Homebush.

And they wonder why they aren't getting crowds.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
the pricing of the waratah games got out of hand in once we started making the finals regularly. the NSWRU decided to try and make hay while the sunshines, which is fair enough, but they also need to remember how fickle the Sydney sporting public are and bring the prices back down.

While not wanting to start a league V union debate, the cost of a S14 ticket is almost 3 times the cost of me going to watch my local NRL team (the sharks). This is too great a differential for all but diehard union fans, espeically when 1 month of foxtel costs less than going to 1 S14 game.

My other beef is the game at homebush. They need to work hard to get a good crowd to justify taking these games away from the SFS, even if that means sacrificing revenue. I would like to see them give plenty of free tickets to rugby clubs and schools in western sydney and also have lower ticket price options for this game (even though its supposedly a marque game). The atmosphere (and crowd) at this years game V the crusaders was very ordinary and I can see the same thing happening year after year. They should be aiming to draw 45k plus for this game, even if they need to give 5,000 or so free tickets away.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Pricing last year was very reasonable, I think cheap seats were ~$20 each, and the cheap season pass was ~$120 for 7 games with a T-Shirt

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
the homebush game is underwritten by anz stadium,
they garuntee a certain amount then share any profits on top so its a no brainer for nsw rugby to go there regardless of numbers. i would prefer a full house at the sfs any day but i understand spreading rugby. just if we do get a team out west that we stop doing it and concentrate on the better drinking pubs around surry hills.

cheap seats are very reasonable, while the expensive seats at the sfs are great, i could never be arsed paying for them, never have with the exception of finals. prefer to go for the atmosphere then watch the game again later on the telly!

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
wtf happened to Beau?

From the Telegraph:

HE'S one of Australia's most explosive young back-rowers, but Beau Robinson has been forced to play in Italy after failing to secure a Super 14 contract next year.

a time when Australia is on the lookout for talent to fill the proposed Super team to be based in Melbourne, The 23-year-old openside flanker has signed an eight-month deal with the Benevento Gladiators club.

"No one in Australia wants me ... I would have liked to have been given the opportunity anywhere," Robinson admitted. "It won't be a massive payday, but it is a chance to go and experience something else."

His move follows a season of frustration disappointment for the blond bombshell, who made a huge impact for the Waratahs in their charge to the 2008 Super 14 final.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

But Robinson failed to make the 22-man NSW squad once in this year's tournament.

His biggest setback came when he was told on a Monday evening he was in the squad to tour South Africa, only to learn the next morning there had been a rethink due to injuries and he wasn't going.

"It has been tough - the fact that I put so much into it with the pre-season, I was really focused and looking for my biggest year so far, and it didn't come out that way," he said.

Robinson has now found himself squeezed out, with openside flankers George Smith (Brumbies), Phil Waugh (Waratahs) and David Pocock (Force) all in the Wallabies squad while Richie McCaw's former All Blacks understudy Daniel Braid is with the battling Reds.

The Reds have also signed former Waratahs back-rower Lei Tomiki who has been playing in France.

Through the difficult times, Robinson has been motivated by the goal of proving he is a better player than some people may think.

He still has an eye on winning a spot in a new Australian-based Super team and knows there is a big opportunity to showcase his wares when he plays for Warringah in Saturday's sudden-death final against Gordon at Narrabeen.

"I think there will be a lot more people watching the club rugby finals this year to see where the possible players will come from for this (Super) team," Robinson said.

"Opportunities will hopefully come around with this new team and I just want to be playing my best football.

"I have to be positive to do that so people are seeing and taking notice."

* THE premiership hopes of Manly, who play Eastwood in the other Shute Shield elimination final on Sunday at Sylvania, have been dealt a big blow with Brumbies centre Tyrone Smith suspended for three games.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
sucks, particularly when Scott Fava remains.

Alongside Julian Salvi, hope they both come home to play in Melbourne.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
this is shit. beau is awesome andf should be picked up somewhere. silly of NSW to let him go really.

Status
Not open for further replies.