• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
fp,

I think Hickey said something like they would endevour to play Barnes are 10, doesn't mean he will though. With Beale at 12 your midfield defense is weakened, so maybe it will be Barnes at 10 in attack and at 12 in defense.

Barnes has at least partly moved there because of the better forward structure at the Tahs, but I wonder if he will get a bit tired of the erratic service from Burgess. I'm sure that Gits wished had a better passer inside him for the wallabies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Scotty said:
fp,

I think Hickey said something like they would endevour to play Barnes are 10, doesn't mean he will though. With Beale at 12 your midfield defense is weakened, so maybe it will be Barnes at 10 in attack and at 12 in defense.

Barnes has at least partly moved there because of the better forward structure at the Tahs, but I wonder if he will get a bit tired of the erratic service from Burgess. I'm sure that Gits wished had a better passer inside him for the wallabies.

Scotty

Beale defended better at 12 and played better 12 than he did at 10 last season.

I expect them to swap it around

Burgess is fine when his pigs give him decent service.

Kafer highlighted a lot of his issues are because he digs for the ball getting close to or in the ruck, fantastic for fast ball, more of a challenge when the cleanout is average.

His passing is improving and his running game gives Gits and Barnes more space to work in.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Anesi is a waste of time, hasn't been any good since he got injured. There's better wingers out there. Doesn't look like the Tahs are too confident on getting Ioane at this point in time, wonder if the rumour that he signed already is true. Or wonder if he may change his mind after Barnes' decision.

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
on paper you'd have to say that the Tahs and Brums are top of the ladder quality, but i wouldn't count out the Force entirely. they had several close losses last year and weren't too far from being a contender. obviously missing some of that core next season, but i don't think they'll fall off that much. team cohesion can go a long way in the win column.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Burgess is fine when his pigs give him decent service.

Kafer highlighted a lot of his issues are because he digs for the ball getting close to or in the ruck, fantastic for fast ball, more of a challenge when the cleanout is average.

His passing is improving and his running game gives Gits and Barnes more space to work in.

I think we can except a slightly poorer service when the ball comes out a lot faster, but the problem is when he takes time and still has poor service (which occurred a few times in the AB game). His kicking is also an obvious weak point. The other thing that doesn't appear to be getting better is his decision making.

There was never this level of criticism of the performance of Gregan, or any other good Australian halfbacks when they were 25-26 years old (that I can recall). At that age they should have reached their highest skill level and should be close to very good decision making ability (if it ever comes). The concern for Burgess is that he may not actually get any better from here, and is average performance level at this stage is not good enough for international rugby.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Moses said:
fatprop said:
We are also hunting for a lock
When has Horwill signed to? Wonder how Vickerman's doing with his studies...

Dan signed with the Northampton Saints a few weeks ago, but only for one year. Back in the blue and the green and gold in 2011. Hell, he could even do an Elsom and come back for the TriNations next year if he puts pen to paper for the Tahs in June 2010.

Sagerian

Allen Oxlade (6)
8 Months, would be ready to rock a few weeks into the Super 14 from 13 January next year.

I'd sign him.

T

The Amazing Tah-Man

A racist 36 year old drug addict is exactly what the Tahs are looking for. I'll take two.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
And maybe we can get Wendy Sailor back from that category - his arse is the size of Tasmania these days but he's playing some good footie for the Dragons.

Nah.

G

Gil

saw him playing with bath ..he is really crap...don't tell me you don't get young talented players .

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Am just back from Penrith Stadium or whatever they call it these days after seeing the Dragons play Penrith.

Saw Kurtley Beale there watching the game with some mates and he was fat.

The other fat thing I saw tonight was Wendell Sailor 's arse. I was behind the goal posts and had the binoculars on him when he got his shorts pulled down low and they seemed to fill the whole field of vision.

Both sights were horrible.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Randwick and HSBC Waratahs backrower Ben Mowen will miss the remainder of his 2009 Tooheys New Shute Shield campaign after suffering a tear of his right anterior cruciate ligament against Manly on Saturday.

Mowen suffered the injury while carrying the ball into contact shortly before the end of the first half. He stayed on for the remaining seconds to be fully reassessed at the break but failed to return to the field in Randwick's 41-13 victory.

He will undergo surgery this week, and is expecting to be back in time to kick off the HSBC Waratahs 2010 campaign.

"We're starting to play some pretty good footy at Randwick, so it's really disappointing," said Mowen. "We've won nine of our last ten games and hitting form at the right end of the season, but while it's going to be hard sitting on the sidelines I still think we have real shot at the title.

"I guess if there's one positive it's the timing of the injury. They're saying I could be out for around six months, which would bring me back right on time for next season with NSW, and maybe if the rehab goes well, possibly for the trials as well; time will tell.

"That's a long way away though, so I just need to get in, have the surgery and start back with the rehab as soon as possible."

Mowen said while there is a lot rehabilitation to be done between now and the start of the 2010 Super 14, he is extremely upbeat about the HSBC Waratahs chances.

"Looking at the forwards we've predominantly got the same group of guys as last year and we were probably one of the better packs in the comp," said Mowen. "Now we have Berrick [Barnes] and Drew [Mitchell] in the backs too, so it's looking really exciting and vibe around the place is really positive at the moment."
http://www.waratahs.com.au/MediaExt...enreadyfor2010despiteseason-endinginjury.aspx

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
That's bad luck for Mowen. But will at least stop the talk of getting him into the Wallabies. Solid S14 player but not international standard. Can they remove the super glue while they are doing the surgery?

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Just seen Ed Jenkins playing for Taranaki in the NPC. Is he still part of the Waratahs Academy? Despite a few questionable decisions he seems like he has a bit of potential and we are in need of an outside back or two, especially given Ratu's form.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Jenkins was in the professional academy this year but would have got leave to play in the ANZC.

I wrote elsewhere that he would be a better bet than going after Anesi. The Tahs want a player who can start as a winger in Rd 1 next year, if needs be, but Anesi can't hold his place with the Chiefs; so he is no great prize.

Yeah better to give Jenkins a trial as a rookie. If the likes of Playford, Batger and Carraro have got a gig with the Tahs in the past then Jenkins wouldn't be out of place as a Super14 wannabee.

Without an ARC it's hard to get a handle on how good he is. He played a few games for the Melbourne ARC team 2 years ago but the ANZC will be a good measure of what standard he is at in the XV man game - his gigs for Oz Sevens can't count.

Was disappointed that he didn't make the Taranaki starting team; so maybe he isn't as good as I think he is. I wasn't paying a lot of attention to the Taniwha game and the only thing I can remember is that he lost the ball on the last play of the game after he came off the bench.

Let's hope that he is good enough to work his way into the run on team; then we can start thinking about him for the Tahs, or a 5th Super squad.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Lee Grant said:
Jenkins was in the professional academy this year but would have got leave to play in the ANZC.

I wrote elsewhere that he would be a better bet than going after Anesi. The Tahs want a player who can start as a winger in Rd 1 next year, if needs be, but Anesi can't hold his place with the Chiefs; so he is no great prize.

Lee - I said it elsewhere, but since that shocking injury Anesi has not been the player he once was. I don't think it's a good choice by the Tahs.

Status
Not open for further replies.