• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
HSBC Waratahs sign All Black Sosene Anesi

Monday, 24 August 2009
NSWRU Media Unit
Having already secured the services of Wallabies Berrick Barnes and Drew Mitchell, the HSBC Waratahs have completed their backline signings for next season with All Black Sosene Anesi set to join squad for the 2010 Super 14.
Sosene Anesi will join the HSBC Waratahs in 2010.

Anesi, who played his only Test for New Zealand in 2005, is currently playing for Waikato in the Air New Zealand Cup after a successful Super 14 campaign in 2009. The versatile back was a member of the Chiefs side which finished second on the ladder before eventually losing to the Bulls in the final.

Anesi joins a talented list of acquisitions to the HSBC Waratahs backline which includes Barnes (Reds), Mitchell (Force), Josh Holmes (Brumbies) and Rory Sidey (Newport Gwent Dragons).

"This is a significant signing for us," said HSBC Waratahs Head Coach Chris Hickey. "They don't just give away All Blacks jerseys, so to secure a New Zealand Test player is pretty exciting for us as a team, and indeed the whole organisation."

"He's been part of a very strong back three at the Chiefs with Mils Muliaina, Sitiveni Sivivatu and Lelia Masaga, and he's coming over to join players like Drew Mitchell and Lachie Turner which is going to be extremely exciting.

"I'm sure he'll enjoy Sydney when he gets here, and hopefully draw a few Chiefs fans in for our home games."

Anesi made is NPC debut for Waikato in 2003 and became a regular on the IRB Sevens circuit with New Zealand in 2004. He went on to make his Super 12 debut in 2005 - ironically, against the HSBC Waratahs - and later that year made his Test debut against Fiji at Albany's North Harbour Stadium.

He was then selected in the New Zealand Sevens team for the 2006 Commonwealth Games in Melbourne, scoring five tries in six matches en route to a Gold Medal.

Anesi's 2007 Rugby World Cup hopes ended in the early stages of the Super 14 when he was sidelined with a neck injury, however he bounced back to play eleven matches for the Chiefs in 2008.

A problematic shoulder saw Anesi miss the middle stages of the 2009 Super 14, however he came back to appear in the Chiefs' last five matches including the semi-final victory over the Hurricanes and the final against the Bulls in Pretoria.

Adept at both fullback and on the wing, Anesi is currently playing for Waikato in the Air New Zealand Cup and will join the HSBC Waratahs in Sydney for the pre-Christmas training block in November.

"Sosene's scored a few tries in the NPC trials and another one a couple of weeks ago against Manawatu, so hopefully he can stay fit and in form for the remainder of the season and be ready to join us later in the year," said Hickey.

Australian Super 14 sides are permitted to sign one 'marquee' foreign player - an international who can never qualify for Australian selection because he has already represented another country at Test, A-team or Sevens level.

Sosene Anesi
Born: 3 July 1981, Apia SAM
Position: Fullback/Wing
Physical: 187cm, 95kg
School: St John's College
Club: Hamilton Marist
Province: Waikato
Provincial Caps: 66
Provincial Points: 135 [27t]
Provincial Debut: 2003 v Bay of Plenty [Waikato]
Super Rugby Caps: 41
Super Rugby Points: 60 [12t]
Super Rugby Debut: 2005 v HSBC Waratahs [Chiefs]
Test Caps: 1
Test Points: 0
Test Debut: 2005 v Fiji [New Zealand]

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
You beauty.

I'm essentially only interested in the Waratahs. Not international rugby or cricket ...

eddo

Larry Dwyer (12)
They probably got him for pretty good value, as he was ready to leave Waikato and if NSWRU were smart they'd pay him in NZ$ too.

I think it could prove a good move over 12months, as there's no doubt going to be a few injuries and the hole in the squad can be filled by someone with his skills.

He'll enjoy teaming up with Sekope and all the other kiwis down near Bondi..

anyone care to share how the clubs will jockey to get his services? .. could be a good tussle.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yeah, but as I've said many a time, he's not been the player he was before the neck injury. The Tahs need to rebuild a lot of his confidence with contact.

Novocastrian

Herbert Moran (7)
fatprop said:
HSBC Waratahs sign All Black Sosene Anesi

"This is a significant signing for us," said HSBC Waratahs Head Coach Chris Hickey. "They don't just give away All Blacks jerseys, so to secure a New Zealand Test player is pretty exciting for us as a team, and indeed the whole organisation."

Test Caps: 1
Test Points: 0
Test Debut: 2005 v Fiji [New Zealand]

Hmm, I know Hickey's got to talk up the signing, but a single test, 4 years ago, off the bench against a minnow sounds very much like a giveaway to me!

T

The Amazing Tah-Man

A couple of years ago I would have jumped for joy over this. Even if injuries are holding him back, a S14 side is only as good as their bench, and he'd at least make a great backup.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
HSBC Waratahs secure Emerging Springbok second rower

Monday, 31 August 2009
NSWRU Media Unit
The HSBC Waratahs have completed their search for a second rower with the signing of former Emerging Springboks lock Hendrik Roodt on a two-year deal.
Blue Bulls lock Hendrik Roodt celebrates winning the 2008 Vodacom Cup.

633873140311710000.jpg

Blue Bulls lock Hendrik Roodt celebrates winning the 2008 Vodacom Cup.
Hendrik Roodt representing Blue Bulls Under 21s.

At 200cm and 121kg, Roodt will be an enforcer in the HSBC Waratahs pack when he joins the squad to commence pre-season training in November.

Australian Super 14 teams are able to contract a developing foreign player who has yet to represent his native country at Test, Sevens or A-team level and could qualify for the Wallabies after three years of consecutive residency, as per IRB regulations.

"We've looked long and hard for another lock to strengthen our second row stocks and we believe we've found that with Hendrik Roodt," said Head Coach Chris Hickey. "Will Caldwell, Dean Mumm and Chris Thomson have performed well for us, and Kane Douglas continues to develop. Adding Hendrik into the mix will only serve to strengthen the tight five, particularly at the scrum and lineout.

"As a developing player who has come through the traditional pathways of South African Rugby, we've got high hopes that Hendrik may be able to follow in the footsteps of Dan Vickerman and Clyde Rathbone and put himself in contention for national selection once he's qualified."

Under the new policy introduced in September 2008, Australian Super 14 teams are also permitted to sign one 'marquee' foreigner - an international who can never qualify for Australian selection because of an IRB regulation that limits players to one country representation throughout their careers. Last week the HSBC Waratahs enacted this clause by securing Chiefs flyer and former All Black Sosene Anesi.

Hailing from Lichtenburg in the North West Province, Roodt represented Leopards at the famous Craven Week tournament in 2004 and 2005. In 2005 he went on to be selected for South African Schools in a side which also included Bulls flanker Dewald Potgeiter.

Following his Schools career, Roodt has gone on to represent the Blue Bulls in the Vodacom Cup (2006-2008) and Under 21 Competition (2006-2008). In 2007 Roodt was selected as a member of the Blue Bulls Currie Cup squad at just 19 years of age, going on to form part of the Bulls Super 14 pre-season training squad later that year.

In 2008 Roodt was selected for the victorious Emerging Springboks at the IRB Nations Cup in Bucharest, with the side going through the tournament undefeated with victories over Georgia, Italy A and Romania.

Having played full-time Rugby from such a young age, Roodt took time away from the game in 2009 to work as a junior draughtsman for Vhumbanani Projects in Johannesburg, but is now keen to resume a career which was on the rise before taking a break from the sport.

"He's got the size, he's got the talent, and being six-foot-six from the high veldt of South Africa he's definitely got the pedigree to play the role we want him to play for us," said Hickey. "He's getting his visa sorted out now, and our physical performance team already has him on a training program in Pretoria so he'll be able to hit the ground running when the squad assembles in November."

Hendrik Roodt
Born: 6 November 1987
Position: Lock
Physical: 200cm, 121kg
Juniors: Lichtenburg High School, Leopards
Province: Blue Bulls
Representative Honours: Leopards (Craven Week), South African Schools, Blue Bulls (Vodacom Cup and U21), Blue Bulls (Currie Cup), Emerging Springboks.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Awesome signing, and I'm just thinking of the puns.

What's to stop SA picking him for a game in 2.5 years time if he's performing?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Moses said:

Nothing?

But by that time he might want to settle here. I think the process of finding him will have included looking for guys who are considering emigration. That's the purpose of this player is it not?

All I can say is that any lock who rises to the level he has at u21 should be pretty bloody good becuase the competition is fierce in that part of the world.

Look forward to seeing how he goes. At least someone will be cheering him on in his native tongue. :)

S

Spook

Blue said:
Moses said:

Nothing?

But by that time he might want to settle here. I think the process of finding him will have included looking for guys who are considering emigration. That's the purpose of this player is it not?

All I can say is that any lock who rises to the level he has at u21 should be pretty bloody good becuase the competition is fierce in that part of the world.

Look forward to seeing how he goes. At least someone will be cheering him on in his native tongue. :)

Nooo...don't cheer the Tahs

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Spook said:
Blue said:
Moses said:

Nothing?

Nooo...don't cheer the Tahs

I said I'll be cheering Roodt. Not the Tahs. ;)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Moses said:

They will be too late, Aus will have special poaching legislation by then :angel:

Citizenship plan raises hopes for skater
AAP - August 31, 2009, 12:37 pm

Russian-born skater Tatiana Borodulina is expected to compete for Australia at next year's Winter Olympics after the Government announced proposed changes to the Citizenship Act.

The proposed amendments to be introduced into the Federal Parliament next month will reduce the residency requirements from four years to two for athletes of distinguished sporting talent.

Immigration Minister Chris Evans made the announcement in Sydney on Monday following approaches from Australian Olympic Committee president John Coates and Tennis Australia.

The changes will also be a boost for Australian women's tennis with Jarmila Groth (nee Gajdosova) and Anastasia Rodionova also available to play Fed Cup for their adopted country when the laws come into effect.

Slovakian-born Groth, at No.62 in the world, would be Australia's second-highest ranked women's player while former Russian Rodionova is ranked No.139.

Borodulina had moved to Australia in 2006 hoping to represent Australia at the Olympics but missed the cut-off point for becoming an Australian citizen by 18 days when the Howard Government tightened the rules in 2007 and extended the residency period from two to four years.

"Once the legislation is passed and immediately following Royal Assent, an Australian Citizenship ceremony will be conducted for Tatiana before the 2010 Olympic Winter Games qualification events in November," AOC director of sport Fiona de Jong said.

"We are extremely grateful to Chris Evans and the Federal Government for their understanding and support which will benefit athletes from a number of Olympic sports."

Australian Winter Olympic team Chef de Mission Ian Chesterman said the addition of Borodulina would be a big boost.

"Tatiana has been competing for Australia for the past couple of years. She has won two gold medals and a bronze on the World Cup circuit in the 2008/2009 season" he said.

"She is world-class and athletes with her ability lift the standard of all Australian skaters.

"She adds to the talent pool in Australia, and if she does well in Vancouver more young people will be attracted to the sport.

"Success breeds success across all sports."

In a bid to qualify for citizenship Borodulina joined the Australian Army Reserve. She has also rejected approaches from Russian skating officials to return home.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
fatprop said:
They will be too late, Aus will have special poaching legislation by then :angel:
Here, unlike the UK, when someone qualifies they don't instantly uproot and head straight back home with the passport. So while I like the idea of reducing the qualification period for highly skilled people, I don't see sportspeople should be a special case.

Status
Not open for further replies.