• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
waratahjesus said:
i also think, if Waugh is only a back up for the Wallabies and deans isnt going to even give him a chance to get on the field then he should be given the option by the aru and tahs to explore overseas contracts, as much as he means to the tahs, he has given long service and deserves to be able to experience europe while he is still young enough to play. If he isnt going to be used a younger player can take his spot and build towards the future properly!

Waugh is 30 this month and isn't getting any quicker. I see no reason not to cull him Baxter style.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
i can understand keeping waugh for the tahs. what i cant understand is why the reds wouldnt go for him over braid. i now there a young team but this import rule is so stupid. braid was going to be gone anyway and beau would probably cost far less. i dont understand why he is there and i dont understand why we imported a winger? of all things, a freakin winger, we dont have anyone that can run fast.

The Reds are probably thinking Andrew Shaw is next in line. He did very well in his debut up against McCaw, and is only going to get better at 20 years old.

PS Wasn't he the U20 openside?

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Scotty said:
i can understand keeping waugh for the tahs. what i cant understand is why the reds wouldnt go for him over braid. i now there a young team but this import rule is so stupid. braid was going to be gone anyway and beau would probably cost far less. i dont understand why he is there and i dont understand why we imported a winger? of all things, a freakin winger, we dont have anyone that can run fast.

The Reds are probably thinking Andrew Shaw is next in line. He did very well in his debut up against McCaw, and is only going to get better at 20 years old.

PS Wasn't he the U20 openside?

Shaw played 6, Sam Latinipulu played 7. As we all know, you can't have too many opensides in a team !

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
louie said:
fatprop said:
It is no different at the Brumbies, who is the back up 7 now? Hoiles?
yes it's different.
Henry Vanderglas

I thought the youngest of the Fa'inga brothers was the openside back up (and quite good too). I reckon he will surpass Vanderglas soon if he hasnt already.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
From what I have seen of Vanderglas he seems to be a smaller version of the late Shawn Mackay - a skilful 6, but a bit of a halfling if he wants to play there at the Super level.

If he has shown skills as a fetcher, then I haven't seen it; but that is neither here nor there as he is a Canberra boy.

T

TOCC

Cutter said:
louie said:
fatprop said:
yes it's different.
Henry Vanderglas

I thought the youngest of the Fa'inga brothers was the openside back up (and quite good too). I reckon he will surpass Vanderglas soon if he hasnt already.

yeah coby Fainga'a, rugby league apparently had a go at poaching him

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
fatprop said:

I hear that Michael Hooper, presently at the St Pius X school, has been given a professional Academy contract at the Brumbies next year. I hoped that he would get into the Tahs stable but what's more important is that he will get professional instruction somewhere immediately after leaving school.

Most posters would not have heard of him but I mentioned in the Oz Schools thread last year that he was the best player in the 2008 Oz Schools tournament IMO. It begarred belief that he was picked in the Oz A Schools team and not the Ones, but he still had another year to go at school.

He missed the tournament this year through injury and the best player in 2009 was another fetcher, Liam Gill, who I believe has a QAS gig for 2010 already. [Actually I bracketed Gill with winger Situata as best player (the spelling of his name is moot)].

Hooper and Gill are the best duo of Schools fetchers in the same year of school since Smith and Waugh. They are fearless and I have no doubt that they are Super14 material down the track, provided that Gill beefs up a bit. In fact, I would go so far as to say that at least one of them will be chasing Pocock a few years from now.

This is a Tahs thread? Excuuuuuse me.

Talking about 2009 Schools players and the Tahs: I hear that NSW have given Scots fullback, Jacob Woodhouse, a 3 year deal. Whether that is Junior Waratahs (amateur), JW (professional) followed by Rookie - or JW (pro), Rookie and Full - I don't know. I thought he was the best fullback of the recent schools tournament, despite Simon Morahan finishing the tournament strongly for Qld, and is reminiscent of Matt Burke.

Unfortunately he is not a goal kicker - at least for NSW Schools - but he punts the ball a long way; so maybe he could be trained to do that.

S

Spook

Lee, are there any genuinely pacey wingers coming through? Seems like Oz is suffering a shortage at the minute. Brumbies have Mafi and Fanifo (both still hugely inconsistent) but aside from them there are no realy other flyers in the Brumbies squad.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Spoke to Al Kanaar on Saturday, he was at Forshaw to see Uni do over the Pirates in the Colts semis. I asked him about Will Caldwell, Will's over his stomach infection and has put most of the lost weight back on. Al told me at one stage he was below 90kg. Anyways, the good news is Will's back in Sydney and has commenced some physical work in preparation for the Tahs' 2010 season.

In the bigger picture all this might be fortuitous for Will as Dingo will surely have an open mind about second-rowers next year.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Lindommer said:
Spoke to Al Kanaar on Saturday, he was at Forshaw to see Uni do over the Pirates in the Colts semis. I asked him about Will Caldwell, Will's over his stomach infection and has put most of the lost weight back on. Al told me at one stage he was below 90kg. Anyways, the good news is Will's back in Sydney and has commenced some physical work in preparation for the Tahs' 2010 season.

In the bigger picture all this might be fortuitous for Will as Dingo will surely have an open mind about second-rowers next year.

Fantastic news

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Brothers' premiership-winning halfback Brendan McKibbin has signed a one-year deal to join New South Wales Waratahs for 2010.

McKibbin, 24, was farewelled at the Brothers Rugby Club as a favourite son after leading the club to their first top-grade premiership in 22 years last month.

He has taken advantage of the halfback hole behind Luke Burgess and Josh Holmes at the Waratahs since former Wallaby Brett Sheehan moved to Western Force.

McKibbin showed his qualities for the higher standard of Super 14 in four games for the Reds this year but Queensland's move on Wallaby rookie Richard Kingi shut him out because Test spark Will Genia and Ben Lucas are also on the books.

"I sensed the Reds were going with Richard a while ago so the chance at the Waratahs is a great opportunity to further my game," McKibbin said.

"Winning the premiership with Brothers was something special after playing in the two losing grand finals (2006 and 2008)."

good signing. Could well end up with more game time than Holmes I reckon.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I had McKibbin down on the Melbourne thread as my 1st pick scrummie for 2011 - and if he gets on the park for the Tahs during the year it will keep his name in front of the Melbourne alickadoos for consideration.

Apart from being a good scrummie he's not a bad goal kicker - and goal kicking is where Australian rugby is weak.

Having just a one year contract is not usually a great thing as Super squads have to have 3 scrummies on contract even if one is just in the professional academy. It doesn't mark you as a valuable player; but in McKibbin's case it could work out perfectly for him as he will be available for the new team in 2011.

I know that Kingi got on the park for the Reds this year and that he has been busy for Oz 7s and the Oz U/20 team, but did he get any time playing for a 1st Grade club up there? If so, did he look OK?

I was a bit surprised that he made the Wallabies tour group but thought it was fair enough to take him over as a development player to use in the 2 mid week games. Unlike Dave Dennis I haven't seen enough of him in the 15 man game in senior rugby to form an opinion that he's a crook choice. And if I had I would, as in the case of Dennis, suspect that my opinion was probably bunk.

I'm a bit disappointed that Jeremy Sua didn't get the gig, but McKibbin would bring more experience to the role than he could. Two years ago he was playing 1st grade Colts for Sydney Uni with players like Ben McCalman and Nathan Charles, but he decided to play out west for Penrith nearer to his rugby roots.

Maybe Sua, who shared Oz U/20 duties with Will Genia in 2008, should have stayed on Broadway with the stars. "Sydney Uni" always looks better on a CV and your rugby improves more playing for the top club in the comp rather than for the lowest club.

R

rugbywhisperer

Spook said:
Lee, are there any genuinely pacey wingers coming through? Seems like Oz is suffering a shortage at the minute. Brumbies have Mafi and Fanifo (both still hugely inconsistent) but aside from them there are no realy other flyers in the Brumbies squad.

TSS have a quickie but still only grade 11 and 16 years old - sub 11 sec runner

Aussie D

Bob Davidson (42)
Wasn't he the bloke who played for the Force a couple of years ago and couldn't catch a cold? Fast as anything but useless as tits on a bull from memory....

T

TOCC

i dont like McKibbon, he is a reasonably solid player but from what i have encountered he is a bit of a wanka as well

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
TOCC said:
i dont like McKibbon, he is a reasonably solid player but from what i have encountered he is a bit of a wanka as well

I thought being a wanka was a pre requisite for playing 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.