• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Lee Grant said:
I keep forgetting and yet that is what it's there for.

Ronald Regan was on his way to a Congressional hearing.

Regan: "What will I tell them?"
Adviser: "Tell them you forgot"
Regan: "Forgot what?"

S

Spook

The Tahs have gone from having a lock deficit to a lock surplus it seems. Any Caldwell updates?

gone

Ted Fahey (11)
Great to see Alcock get a gig with the Tahs. He was superb for Gordon this year. I think they might look to turn him into a 7, he has the right physique for it but his natural game is more that of a ball runner as opposed to a scavenger.

Be interested to see if Ofa gets a run, he has been in the setup for a couple of years now and was almost cut at the start of last year (before the injuries to Dunning and Kepu). This year may be his last chance.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Lee, basically just from trying to keep a track of things as players sign. In saying that, there are names on your list (the Tahs website just updated) they I didn't have.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think it is clear that the Tahs have a better side than last year, so that is a good thing

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
thatguy said:
Be interested to see if Ofa gets a run, he has been in the setup for a couple of years now and was almost cut at the start of last year (before the injuries to Dunning and Kepu). This year may be his last chance.

Talk of Ofa getting a seeking out a gig with the Rebels (or whatever they will be called) next year. Apparently a Melbourne boy originally.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Noddy said:
Lee, basically just from trying to keep a track of things as players sign. In saying that, there are names on your list (the Tahs website just updated) they I didn't have.

I used to have all that stuff and even saved the links until my computer crashed last April and I hadn't saved the bookmarks. But even since then there have been some anomalies in reporting about contracts when they report signings or re-signings but don't mention the length of the contract. Sure, we can assume two years for established players but it's good to see it in print, so to speak.

As examples: my googling caught nothing about the re-signing of Beale and how long Kirkpatrick's contract is for. Nor have the Tahs returned my calls of inquiry.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
The Chosen said:
If my memory serves me correct Chris Alcock is South African born- is that right Riddler?

Not sure on that one. I do have a work colleague in NZ with the same surname who claims that Chris is one of his clan but he could be winding me up. Perhaps our new member ThatGuy or some of the other Gordon members here have some info.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
PROFESSIONAL ACADEMY 2010

Going back to the list of professional Junior Waratahs: the most significant signings for the future are lock Greg Peterson and fullback Jake Woodhouse who will be getting ready for the Oz Schools EOYT.

It's fairly unusual for boys to be offered professional contracts for the following year whilst they are still at school - as opposed to getting amateur Academy spots. Even if there is no hope of their being used in the Super14 the following year, Oz Super teams often sign them up to warehouse them in case somebody else does.

Any boy who is so treated should be thought of as a long term project by the Tahs. Rob Horne was the last to get a professional Academy spot the year after leaving school IIRR and he actually played in the Super14 in his Academy year.

I have mentioned lock Greg Peterson a few times: he's a Vickerman type at schools level and just has to prove himself in the physicality furnace of senior rugby to be a successful Super player IMO. And we don't have to worry if he is going to be big enough man.

I have also mentioned 15. Jake Woodhouse - a Burke type fullback who looks like he has the surety of skill and temperament for the professional game; though one never knows for sure.

Whatever - this is their first step on what is hopefully long careers for both of them.

Another who may be making a first important step is 21 y.o. THP Paddy Ryan. The Sydney Uni no.3 was LHP for Joeys and Oz Schools a few years ago. He disappeared after school, perhaps on a gap year and eventually emerged playing Colts. This year he appeared in the Uni 1st Grade team with a 3 on his jersey, and when I realised that he was keeping his place in the team week after week I thought he might be a chance to get a call up by the JWs - and so it has proved.

I hope that they train him to play on both sides of the scrum because he will add value to his career and any team he plays for.

I'm glad that 1.Ofa Fainga'nuku is still with the JWs. If Fat Cat goes down I don't want Tilse to go anywhere near any stadium that the Tahs are playing at except to sell programmes, or something like that. And I wouldn't want a young shaver like Ryan on the park either. I don't care if Ofa is going to Melbourne - in fact I hope that he does - I'm glad to have him for 2010. If he goes south they will get somebody who is seasoned in senior rugby and has had a lot of pro training.

Lock Kane Douglas is still only 20 and he didn't prove to me this year that he was a grunter, though to be fair: I didn't see a lot of him. It's unlikely he will get on the park in the S14 unless there are 3 injuries but this year is the watershed year for him in senior rugby, much like it is for young Rob Simmons north of the Tweed.

The availability of young backrower Pat McCutcheon in the pro JWs is another reason why Beau and Dennis were cut. Like Coridas he is a bit of a dogsbody and can play all 3 backrow positions but his future at the higher level will be at 7.

8 Lachie McCaffrey won't get on the park as an 8, but, like Alcock, he is a talented player who deserves to be in a professional environment to see what he can become.

The acquisition of 9 BrendanMcKibbin was a bit of a surprise as I thought he would look down his nose at an Academy spot having been on the park 4 times for the Reds already. He probably knows that I named him in my Melbourne team and is keeping his hand in training with the Tahs. It's handy for the Tahs to have such an experienced player as 3rd string, and a goal kicker to boot :lmao: but Jeremy Sua must have his nose out of joint.

13 Tim Bennetts was a very good schools player who was always injured but he has looked good for Eastwood this year, which is his second out of school. His good mate 13 Cameron Mitchell was injured a lot at school too and was crocked for Eastwood this year, finally getting onto the wing in 1st Grade late in the season.

But timing is everything: whilst in their schooldays Bennetts had to make way for Mitchell, the Oz Schools captain in 2008, but for 2010 it is he that will be in the professional JW group, whereas Mitchell remains in the amateur group.

It's good to see winger Ed Jenkins back in Oz after playing for Taranaki. He's a good player and a logical choice for the Melbourne squad. Meantime he can back up for the Tahs.

15 Adam D'Arcy was brilliant for Manly early in the season before he went off the boil. The Force were after him in some role but he elected to stay in the state. He is one up the sleeve if goal kicking is a worry.

gone

Ted Fahey (11)
TheRiddler said:
The Chosen said:
If my memory serves me correct Chris Alcock is South African born- is that right Riddler?

Not sure on that one. I do have a work colleague in NZ with the same surname who claims that Chris is one of his clan but he could be winding me up. Perhaps our new member ThatGuy or some of the other Gordon members here have some info.

Unfortunately I'm not sure either - he doesn't have an accent so I figure he's at least been here for a while.

I can tell you though that Ofa was born in Auckland. Family moved to Aus when he was young, played colts at Manly (as a number 8 I think) before spending 2 years at the Melbourne Storm academy. Post that he moved back to Sydney and started learning the dark arts.

T

tranquility

will the south african lock import be ready to play this year? he looked pretty out of shape in the video I saw of him, however there is no doubt he is a massive body and potentially a massive asset.

S

Spook

Will "the best tight head prop in Australia (Baxter)" be starting for the Tahs in 2010?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Dennis re-signs with Waratahs
December 3, 2009 - 10:39AM

AAP

Flanker Dave Dennis has re-signed with the Waratahs for the next two Super 14 seasons after returning home from a successful spring tour with the Wallabies.

Dennis had travelled with the Australian rugby squad uncertain of his domestic future, but after taking part in the Wallabies' two midweek tour wins he decided to recommit to the Waratahs.

"It's always been my preference to stay at the Waratahs, but the decision-making process took a bit of a back seat after getting selected for the Wallaby tour," said Dennis.

"Once I made that squad I turned my focus towards preparing well, training hard and taking the opportunity which I had been given.

"Once I made the squad the Waratahs were happy for me to concentrate on my footy rather than having to think about any negotiations while I was away which I was really appreciative of.

"However once I got through the Cardiff game I was in a position to think more about my options and I'm really happy with the decision I've made to return to the Tahs.

"I think I've still got a lot to achieve at NSW and hopefully over the next two years I'll be able to do that.

"There's going to be a lot of competition to make the 22 for the Tahs in the Super 14 and that's where I want to be."

Dennis and NSW's other returning Wallabies will return to Waratahs training early in 2010.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Anyone else stunned by this decision?

Not so much remaining at the Tahs (I think the Force might've been Dennis' best bet for a starting or bench spot) but moreso his decision to sign for two years, meaning he can't go to the Melbourne side?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Ash said:
Anyone else stunned by this decision?

Not so much remaining at the Tahs (I think the Force might've been Dennis' best bet for a starting or bench spot) but moreso his decision to sign for two years, meaning he can't go to the Melbourne side?

He may think that when the Melbourne rape/player purchases begins and each side loses a few, he will be a starter for following season.

I expect, Barnes and Elsom to be in Melbourne for a start.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I can't see why Daisy has been given a 2 year contract - can anybody else? He must be better than I think he is else Deans wouldn't have picked him as an Oz squaddie. Good club player, good work rate - not a bad runner with the ball and can dish it too, but horribly injury prone and is unproven at the S14 level having played just a few minutes in 2008 IIRR.

I thought that the Tahs had a full roster but there is always dispensation given if there is a significant injury and Fava's long term absence covers that.

I see him as cover for Mowen at 6 - and if Palu goes down he could start at 6 with Mowen to 8. All rounder back rower Coridas would have coveted that bench role and whereas Coridas could play 7 off the bench because he has played there for Eastwood, I can't remember Daisy ever playing there.

Pat McCutcheon, the Oz Schools captain 4 years ago, and in the pro Tahs Academy for 2010, won't be too thrilled either. Pencil him in for Melbourne.

T

tranquility

do 7s players miss the super 14? or does the world circuit take the super 14 into account?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
So my friend Roodt has dropped some baggage - down from 141 to 126 and saya his fighting weights is 121. That's a bit of weight already.

The man needs a nickname. I hereby suggest "Fatboy Slim", BB (short for the "Bulimic Boer") or Tahboer.

Status
Not open for further replies.