• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

Well let's find out if that's true at test level hey?

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Trains on to it.
What about Jones at 8? Hits up well and is atheletic and a lineout jumper
I'm a Jones fan but it's a lot to ask of him defensively to play 8.
Does anyone else think he may be a little too small to play lock at test level?
Will his frame handle a bit more bulk?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Trains on to it.

I don't advocate picking a lock/6 (who has played almost all his football at lock this year) at number 8.

What if he went to 8 and was a bit too slow for the position and threw the pack out of balance and was also terrible securing the ball at the back of the scrum?

It's not like we're short on options for the number 8 jersey this year.

Jones should be picked at lock. He's been the standout lock amongst the Australian teams this year.

agree with the fundamental principle you are getting across but would it not be the case that some guys could quite easily fill the role and do the job well even though they are not the lineout general at their franchise??? I would think that sometimes the reason that they are not running the lineout could be due to incumbency at their clubs (retaining the lineout general who has been there before)

I definitely think someone can be trained up to do it and with practice they'd hopefully do it well.

Given the lack of preparation for the French series, I'm guessing that at the very least the lineout calling will be done with someone who was in the starting team on the EOYT and most likely will be Rob Simmons to continue doing that job.

Link would be crazy not to establish other options for himself though. Like anything, you don't want to have to make compromises when selecting your team.

Bench

Frank Row (1)
Pete, I'm sure you're right that there is a fair few blokes who could take that role given the opportunity. The fact remains however that of those players who are on the Wallabies radar, only Simmons has been getting good practice calling the lineout this season.

I think it'd be too much to ask of a green Wallaby to start calling their first lineouts in a test match.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Im not ridiculously anti Simmons (was prior to EOYT) but he does give away some shit penalties. My point is that im sure in the past at an elite level a player has left the test arena as a lineout general and been replace by someone who hadnt been previously. Whose not to say that all in contention hadnt spent the previous ten years of their life calling line outs. Dont think there are to many Tom Bowman eske players getting around these days

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
According to the stats, Higginbotham and Fardy are the two most penalised players in Super Rugby this year.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Just read an article in relation to Kepu trying to regain his starting test spot. supposedly Chieka dropped him because his passing and catching game was not good enough; Kepu talks about trying to find some good form and the fact that on the EOYT last year his real focus was on his scrummaging more than anything.

I'm glad the Kepu conscious of improving his form and i can understand why Cheika wants to get more out of Kepu in open play given the tahs style of play.

Kepu does need to play his way into some form, but at the same time test rugby is a different beast. At Super level you can give up a bit of scrummaging strength in search for better performance around the park. Not so at test level.

T

Train Without a Station

Im not ridiculously anti Simmons (was prior to EOYT) but he does give away some shit penalties. My point is that im sure in the past at an elite level a player has left the test arena as a lineout general and been replace by someone who hadnt been previously. Whose not to say that all in contention hadnt spent the previous ten years of their life calling line outs. Dont think there are to many Tom Bowman eske players getting around these days

Yes they have, but has the line out contributed to flourish after this?

He is still one of the best line out operators in Australia (as a jumper and leader), if not the best. That's one of a locks core duties so you cannot just ignore this when judging his form.

Also, for the record probably 50% of Simmons penalties are conceded contesting the line out. I just find the double standard intriguing that Fardy giving away penalties going hard at the breakdown is ok, but Simmons at the line out is not. They're both doing it fighting for possession. It's just one is more liked than the other so he is accepted for it.

For the record I like fardy's style of play and think it's worth it, I'm just pointing out the double standard

Reactions: BDA

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Yes they have, but has the line out contributed to flourish after this?

He is still one of the best line out operators in Australia (as a jumper and leader), if not the best. That's one of a locks core duties so you cannot just ignore this when judging his form.

Also, for the record probably 50% of Simmons penalties are conceded contesting the line out. I just find the double standard intriguing that Fardy giving away penalties going hard at the breakdown is ok, but Simmons at the line out is not. They're both doing it fighting for possession. It's just one is more liked than the other so he is accepted for it.

For the record I like fardy's style of play and think it's worth it, I'm just pointing out the double standard
More referring to the cards again argentina and scotland in test matches for dumb shit. Think leaving your side one tight forward short with the game in the balance is pretty dumb

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Trains on to it.

Playing 8 in the Shute Shield is a pretty different issue to playing 8 in Tests. It's not a good move, even before you take into account that he's played all season at lock. I personally think he's best suited to 6, has the prototypical size for the position at Test level, but since he's been the best lock in Australia all year he should be given a run there to see if he's up to it. I think he'll be good at lock, then will lock down the 6 spot once Fardy retires/moves overseas.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Playing 8 in the Shute Shield is a pretty different issue to playing 8 in Tests. It's not a good move, even before you take into account that he's played all season at lock. I personally think he's best suited to 6, has the prototypical size for the position at Test level, but since he's been the best lock in Australia all year he should be given a run there to see if he's up to it. I think he'll be good at lock, then will lock down the 6 spot once Fardy retires/moves overseas.
I like Jones at 6 as well.
Jones has almost demanded selection as well - but he's played lock doing that.
Then there is Fardy who hasn't lost his position.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I like Jones at 6 as well.
Jones has almost demanded selection as well - but he's played lock doing that.
Then there is Fardy who hasn't lost his position.
Yeah absolutely, it's a good problem to have. He definitely deserves a starting spot against the French, and given he's been playing so well at lock I reckon they should put him there.

Since Pyle's been benched he's been a lot more involved in the lineout and he's going well there. Have no idea whether he can call or not, but he's certainly a viable target.

At this point I'd almost have Jones penned in with the question being whether it'll be Horwill or Simmons to partner him. Having both Jones and Fardy on the team gives some added bench flexibility as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.