• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

I think we really need Genia out of the starting team. He has had about 1 good game since the Lions. With White's kicking game, if he was to be average, he'd be much more valuable to the side.

T

Train Without a Station

I also doubt Link will go with Jones as a lock. When Fardy was out last year, he went with Simmons as a flanker. He knows the need for size at international level and that will likely prevent Jones being seen as a tight head lock option.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't think in any time in the history of super rugby, players who have performed well consistently at Super level and at wallaby level into the most recent international games have been discarded due to a bad super season.

Why? Because international quality players don't just become shit. I think Cooper, Horwill, Simmons and Genia have been on average, average. What must be considered is, if these guys and slipper were having their best seasons ever and the other 10 were playing like shit, would the team be performing any better?

To say a handful of players are unpickable due to the form of a team as a whole, which they make up a third or less of is absurd.

The form of Horwill and Simmons in their clean out effectiveness is a real concern.

I'm leaning well away from Genia and in his second shot at the wallabies id back white to be a lot better. Genia has used up all his credit in the bank and can't be picked on looking back 18 months ago.

Cooper and To'omua looked extremely strong as a combo last year. It's easy to point to Quade's Hail Mary plays but that's jus lazy criticism as these seldom occur before a game gets out of reach and he needs to try and pull a rabbit out if a hat. I hope link rips into him about his shithouse ball security though and tells him it won't be accepted.

I completely agree........ names like Mortlock and Latham spring to mind.........

That's why I think Simmons and Cooper will regain their spots....... Slipper too..........

I don't know if Horwill and Genia will be so lucky.........

Horwill was on the verge of being dropped from the test team last year until injury struck.........

Genia regained his starting spot because White, despite some impressive performances off the bench and the first game against Argentina, wound up not being any better..........

Since then neither have been in great form...........

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'll call it now, the locks for the RWC final will be Jones and Skelton.

I think Skelton still has a little while to go (with the RWC only a year away), and would currently favour Carter and possibly Coleman ahead of him..........

T

Train Without a Station

I completely agree.... names like Mortlock and Latham spring to mind...

That's why I think Simmons and Cooper will regain their spots... Slipper too....

I don't know if Horwill and Genia will be so lucky...

Horwill was on the verge of being dropped from the test team last year until injury struck...

Genia regained his starting spot because White, despite some impressive performances off the bench and the first game against Argentina, wound up not being any better....

Since then neither have been in great form.....

I think Horwill has been unfairly pillored by all in sundry. His clean out effectiveness is the main issue he needs to address.

Really Sam Carter is the only potential replacement and then it comes down to do they consider him a like for like for Horwill.

I really don't see Jones, who I am a massive fan of, taking the jersey Horwill was wearing. Potentially he will be competing with Fardy I think.

I think Genia is probably under more pressure as White has test experience and has had multiple quality seasons at super level. There was once a case not to pick white, whether or not we agreed with it. Not really anymore though.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I'm sure Link will pick a balanced side and coach / train them through. He had no issues taking the captaincy from Horwill last year and attractive rugby was played on the EOYT.
Number 6
Jones has been a consistent stand out this year - I think that will be rewarded, at lock or number 6 I'm not sure and i think that is a plus.
Fardy has is the incumbent 6 and is also playing great rugby.
I prefer Jones but wouldn't be upset with Fardy - the point I'm making are we going to pick a 6 to play lock because no locks have stuck there hand up - I hope not.

Lock as above nobody has forced selection, these are the 5 I'd have in the squad now with the RWC in mind.
Simmons had a strong EOYT he had people eating there words.
Skelton being talked about, i like him for the last 25 he needs game time and work now for the next RWC.
Horwill he hasn't done much for me this year.
Neville I'd like to see him given a crack given Pyle is hoping on a plane.
Coleman Id like to see him also given a crack/

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Jones has been playing lock all year, and according to the internet (so not always reliable) he weighs the same as Simmons and is only 4cm shorter.

I think he will be viewed as a lock at the selection table.

T

Train Without a Station

But he won't be competing with Simmons as the game he brings is not the same as Simmons. He is not a line out centric lock in the Matfield, Sharpe and Simmons mould.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Anyways, I wasn't suggesting that will or should be the pairing..........

Just that I don't think Skelton is doing enough to be considered a starting Wallaby in the near future which would unlikely see him starting at the RWC.........

Jones on the other hand..........

But I couldn't see such a pairing being an issue considering Jones is traditionally a lock/backrower similar to Fardy..........

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Jones has been playing lock all year, and according to the internet (so not always reliable) he weighs the same as Simmons and is only 4cm shorter.

I think he will be viewed as a lock at the selection table.

Possibly but I've seen some awesome game time at 6.
Interesting selection this one.

Slim, Carter has been playing great rugby, one of the most consistent for the past 2 seasons - I just cant see him in gold, but i also cant justify why I say that as well.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Who's going to be the loosehead lock? There's not many candidates atm.

Front row - I follow the difference between loose and tight, some props can play both but they are specialized positions.

Flanker is either blind or open and that is subject to the field position.

In the role of the scrum - what is the difference between a loose head & a tight head?

T

Train Without a Station

If we omit Simmons, for Jones with Mowen likely not playing we basically concede any chance of a dominant line out.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
But you mentioned Neville... got your Marlins goggles on? ;)

Good to see you know he's still a Marlin and not owned by the Rebels Slim ;).
Slim I was honest, if Carter got selected I couldn't say he didn't deserve it - locks are my concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.