• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Outside Centre

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
and this is why we have impact player berrick. Shit goes down -> berrick comes on shifts JOC (James O'Connor) to wing and stabilizes.

mmm.... I think Barnes has enough splinters in his backside after numerous tests sitting on the pine and not even removing the trackies. IMO he is no impact player and it seems Deans sees it that way also.

I think the Wallabies backs need someone more robust in there, and I think if he had not got injured last year Ioane was primed to be the Wallaby centre. Deans was "forced" to bring in Horne when at that point AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) was the best FB option (Shepherd was injured and Rabbit had been found somewhat wanting in 15 at Int'l level, Mitchell and Turner were not seen as options).

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
It makes no sense to have berrick on the bench. Out of the three of them JOC (James O'Connor) is the best bench option cos he covers the most positions and would make the most impact.

Start berrick take the sting out for the first 30-50 then let JOC (James O'Connor) cut loose

I see the logic of your argument, and i agree so long as ashlee cooper gets back in form. If not then it's a tough question.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
mmm.... I think Barnes has enough splinters in his backside after numerous tests sitting on the pine and not even removing the trackies. IMO he is no impact player and it seems Deans sees it that way also.

I think the Wallabies backs need someone more robust in there, and I think if he had not got injured last year Ioane was primed to be the Wallaby centre. Deans was "forced" to bring in Horne when at that point AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) was the best FB option (Shepherd was injured and Rabbit had been found somewhat wanting in 15 at Int'l level, Mitchell and Turner were not seen as options).

No, that's not true.

Horne played at outside centre because he was regarded as the best in that position.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) played fullback because he was then regarded as the best in that position.

Ioane played on the wing for the same reason... and shouldn't play outside centre for the Wallabies.

Ioane is a capable OC at Super level but I fear his defence will not be capable enough for the Wallabies in the midfield.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
What more had Horne shown at Super level that Ioane had not?

Horne IMO showed he was okay defensively but had an extremely limited attacking game.

Add to that Ioane had int'l experience.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Kafes chalk board was pretty bizarre on the rugby club

He was highlighting AACs lack of form with clips of this years Brumbies showing how he was being caught behind the advantage line.

Kafer mentioned the shit passes well behind the advantage line from Gits in passing, but just later he showed AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on attack with the Wallabies running off Cooper and the difference was so large

T

territorian

The issue as I see it isn't who is best at #13, it is who has tactics and game moves that aren't known by everyone else.
In this age if instant replays and video analysis, it doesn't take long for opposition players and thinkers to quickly analyse a players traits, strengths and/or weakness and then plan against it.
Most of those on the list of #13's are well known, there is nothing in their arsenal that isn't an off the cuff, in the moment activity - except for JOC (James O'Connor).
#13 should not be a blockbuster - he should be a free spirit in a similar vein to the other three outside backs - the are your creative ones.
#13 needs to have an ability to pull something off that is wow factor, something the others either don't know or just couldn't plan for. Unpredictability.

Unfortunaley in Australian rugby we don't have too many of them. There are a couple floating around in sub super rugby, but for test and super rugby as far as I can see it is JOC (James O'Connor). He has that air of unpredictability that gets gains. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s trends are too well known as are Iaoni's, Hynes and anyone else I can think of.
That is a problem now, because the last few years of 7's have not been creating free spirited players. They have concentrated on developing the the defending gofer types who will hit a T/R/M and get posession, are safe and secure but we can't score creative tries.
It's no good having a predictable #10, or #13 -
Australian #13's, good ones are very scarce indeed.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
What more had Horne shown at Super level that Ioane had not?

Horne IMO showed he was okay defensively but had an extremely limited attacking game.

Add to that Ioane had int'l experience.

Horn can play positionally well at 13, ioane is better on the wing with a commission to rove. When he is stuck at 13 he doesn't have half the impact. It's not saying he is a bad player, just he has a better position, sterling, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and horn are the only true outsides we have currently.

T

TOCC

Horn can play positionally well at 13, ioane is better on the wing with a commission to rove. When he is stuck at 13 he doesn't have half the impact. It's not saying he is a bad player, just he has a better position, sterling, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and horn are the only true outsides we have currently.

statistics would indicate that when Ioane was playing 13 for the Reds he actually scored more tries(7 in 10 games) and the Reds have a overall better winning average then when Ioane was on the wing(6 tries in 29 matches).

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)

I agree with what you are saying about Digby but regarding OC I think the jury is still out. I think Cummins is playing better there than I have ever seen him at wing and although out of form currently, Chambers is most certainly are genuine OC

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Ioane is better option for wing with Mitchell.

At 13 he loses his options to bob up in general play and for kick return.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)

He was highlighting AACs lack of form with clips of this years Brumbies showing how he was being caught behind the advantage line.

Kafer mentioned the shit passes well behind the advantage line from Gits in passing, but just later he showed AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on attack with the Wallabies running off Cooper and the difference was so large

Yep he is not out of form, just playing in a shit backline.

Unintentionally Kafer made a good case as to why Cooper is the Wallaby flyhalf.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

more why Gits won't be, JOC (James O'Connor) is the form 10 in Aus at the moment, but it is early days

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
9 genia
10 cooper
11 mitchell
12 JOC (James O'Connor)
13 mortlock
14 ioane
15 beale

bench AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)

That whole segment was pretty rubbish IMO....AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is out of form pure and simple.....the Rugby Club guys just over-analysed and talked some straight-up bollocks for about 5min...

aussie1st

Alfred Walker (16)
I'd prefer a crash and bash outside centre, got enough players in our squad to try and step a player. Ioane has the chance to get himself the number 13 jersey with some strong performances. Haven't seen much of Cummins but he has the size to fill that role and Mortlock will be another good option if he keeps his form going.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
That is the wrongest thing I've read on this forum. And remember, this is a forum that includes waratah jesus.

Is this one of those cases where the longer he's injured and not playing, the better he gets.

In terms of overall attack ie making metres, setting up his outsides, running good lines, I think he showed at super level he is limited. IMO that got exposed at test level.

The thing with centre is that it's probably the most difficult backline position and it's tough for any young inexperienced player to be good in all areas, and when they are lacking they're exposed more so than other positions. Take last year I hated seeing Fruean in the 13 jersey for my team. Yes he made a few good runs and hurt people but his line running and positioning were exposed big time. He was still so young. He's improved but I still won't want him in an AB shirt this year

Conrad Smith and Kahui have it well over him and that's down to experience

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Ioane for mine, they read the game and anticipate stuff that I have not yet seen in Horne

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
9 genia
10 cooper
11 mitchell
12 JOC (James O'Connor)
13 mortlock
14 ioane
15 beale

bench AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

Crickey, I didn't think wheel chairs were allowed on the rugby field. Let's actually choose someone who can run faster than an OAP.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Is this one of those cases where the longer he's injured and not playing, the better he gets.

In terms of overall attack ie making metres, setting up his outsides, running good lines, I think he showed at super level he is limited. IMO that got exposed at test level.

The thing with centre is that it's probably the most difficult backline position and it's tough for any young inexperienced player to be good in all areas, and when they are lacking they're exposed more so than other positions. Take last year I hated seeing Fruean in the 13 jersey for my team. Yes he made a few good runs and hurt people but his line running and positioning were exposed big time. He was still so young. He's improved but I still won't want him in an AB shirt this year

Conrad Smith and Kahui have it well over him and that's down to experience

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Ioane for mine, they read the game and anticipate stuff that I have not yet seen in Horne

Horne cut apart smith last season in the S14

Status
Not open for further replies.