• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Outside Centre

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimboJoe1006

Chris McKivat (8)
maybe we should merge this thread and the bias thread?

This is exactly what I meant in the bias thread! Take this topic as an example, we have Tahs fans saying Horne, Reds' tossing up between Ioane and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and the same goes for Cummins. It seems to be extremely rare for a Queenslander to dismiss one of their own players' Wallaby chances, especially if it is at the expense of a Waratah.

Back to topic, I agree with Jason's backline - AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is much more consistent, experienced and reliable than Horne, something that many other Wallabies lack. I would fill the bench with Burgess, Giteau, Horne

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Gits is probably underrated for the first time in his life ATM. It's about bloody time and I think by the end of the season he will be back too his best. But I still think his best only gets him on the bench with genia quade mitchell JOC (James O'Connor) AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) diggers and beal making the starting side. I think that's the same as what majority is agreeing with.

Horne not even on the bench ATM as well as Carter. I think someone didn't put Mitchell in there side. That's a fucking joke.

Go the force!!!!

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I thought you were an Aussie, like Watties tomato sauce?

"Wattie's or Heinz Wattie's Limited is a New Zealand-based food producer of frozen and packaged fruit, vegetables, sauces, baby food, cooking sauces, dressings and pet foods.

"Founded in 1934 by the late Sir James Wattie, the company operated in New Zealand under the name of J. Wattie Canneries Limited (later J Wattie Foods Limited and its related companies) until the group was bought by American-based H.J. Heinz Company in 1992." (Wikipedia)

drewprint

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
It's got to be AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). He'll play himself back into form soon enough, he's a proven class act. And he's a vital part of my ideal backline - Genia, Cooper, Mitchell, O'Connor, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Ioane, Beale.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
It's got to be AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). He'll play himself back into form soon enough, he's a proven class act. And he's a vital part of my ideal backline - Genia, Cooper, Mitchell, O'Connor, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Ioane, Beale.

I think a lot of people concur drewprint, and welcome to GAGR!

Please tell me you have not named yourself after Mitchell's arse tat. I'm still trying to scrub that vision from my retinas.

drewprint

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Thanks for the welcome! I've been reading the forum for awhile now, and finally felt like contributing. A very obvious contribution, but a contribution nonetheless, hah.

My name is Drew, and in a previous forum life my username was blueprint, so I mashed the two together and have been using it ever since. I know nothing of any Drew Mitchell arse tattoo's, and I'm not sure I want to!

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Thanks for the welcome! I've been reading the forum for awhile now, and finally felt like contributing. A very obvious contribution, but a contribution nonetheless, hah.

My name is Drew, and in a previous forum life my username was blueprint, so I mashed the two together and have been using it ever since. I know nothing of any Drew Mitchell arse tattoo's, and I'm not sure I want to!

This is good news, and now I must reflect on what it says about me that I jumped to that conclusion. Nah, why navel gaze!

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Ioane was damaging from 13 tonight - but did miss the odd tackle. I believe he can be as good on the wing.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hmm, likened to Digby at 13 a bit after watching that. Still don't trust him in a WC in that position. Hands are too loose and defensively he ain't great. Horne's still the whole package for me.

Very impressed with Mortlock defensively, still got it but lacks punch.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Ioane was damaging from 13 tonight - but did miss the odd tackle. I believe he can be as good on the wing.

I agree. A winger in the same way Mitchell plays for the Tahs - roves around and creates havoc. Defensively we need a 13 who is spot on - Mortlock showed tonight why he was so good for so long - great defensive game. I'm sure Digby can learn that role at 13 too, but I still think he is more a winger.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'm actually a bit of a fan of Diggers at centre, but I think he's best used on the wing and we have other alternatives who can play just as well at 13.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Yeh I know, I'm just saying. It's between Horne and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) for sure. I suspect Deans will select it on the basis of whichever is either fit, or in form. If Horne is unfit, and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is out of form, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will still get the gig. If Horne is fit, but AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is in form, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will get the gig. If Horne is fit, and in form, I suspect he will get it.

S

Skippy

Personally I've never beleived Digby has the 'hands' or 'touch' to be a genuine test 13. But that's just my opinion. Obviousy he is a strong runner and big hitter but sometimes I see him get a bit lost in defence when you have often 3 attackers running at you in the 13 channel.
For me I believe the centre pairing for the World Cup will be Mortlock at 12 and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13 - Mortlock is improving each week and with players like JOC (James O'Connor)/Beale etc around him he will provide the steady influence and guidance required in a WC. This combination will give the Wallabies the required bulk and size to get over the advantage line and support Quade's defensive failings. I feel it wil also give the Wallabies the best balance... on one hand it gives penetration in attack, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is fast and hits great lines, defensively it's strong and will nulify many opposition teams big centres like SBW and Nonu etc... and cover for Quade. But on certain moves AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) can move onto wing, JOC (James O'Connor) can come into 12.... etc etc. It's all transferable.

I expect JOC (James O'Connor) and Mitchell/Digby to be the wingers with Beale at 15.

I believe Gerard and Cameron Shephard will make the squad and Turner will miss out. I beleive Rod Davies will miss out also and from last years tour to the UK, Cummins/Fainga'a will not get a trip. Deans will look to take experienced and proven performers as a WC is not the occassion to 'develop' or trial players.

With the opposition tiring in the last 20 minutes in the pool games and QF I expect JOC (James O'Connor) to be moved into 10 or 12, Gits/Barnes coming off the bench etc. Mortlock will be saved and rested with the belief he will be requied to pay 80 minutes in the semi/final. Barnes and Gits on the bench is a winning combo as they can both offer something and you could even go without a second 9 on the bench if you consider Gits as reserve 9. Although personally I wouldn't.
in the pack I think Nathan Charles will win the third hooker spot over Fainga'a.

Reactions: roo

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
This might be a minority opinion (Diggers is a bit of a protected species in some ways) but I feel Mitchell is far more effective than Ioane now, at the things Ioane used to do. He is faster, breaks many more tackles and is infinitely more dangerous every time he gets the ball. Ioane is just not the player he was. I'm far from convinced that he is a front runner for a wing spot at the moment, let alone 13. If he can get back to where he was 2 years ago, then yes, but on current form, no.

T

TOCC

Digby and Drew play different style's, Digby is more likely to break tackles in closer to the rucks and heavy traffic, whereas Drew is more about the fringe work..
I think comparing those statistics can be misleading

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
This might be a minority opinion (Diggers is a bit of a protected species in some ways) but I feel Mitchell is far more effective than Ioane now, at the things Ioane used to do. He is faster, breaks many more tackles and is infinitely more dangerous every time he gets the ball. Ioane is just not the player he was. I'm far from convinced that he is a front runner for a wing spot at the moment, let alone 13. If he can get back to where he was 2 years ago, then yes, but on current form, no.

Obviously haven't been watching digby play in the past few games. He has been pretty much unstoppable. Yes, he might not be a genuine finisher like Mitchell, but he a pretty destructive runner.

Status
Not open for further replies.