• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Outside Centre

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryce

Darby Loudon (17)
This discussion it actually a great problem to have. We have such a wealth of backline options at the moment. I honestly am not overly worried about the backline, particularly outside centre, as we've got three class options in Ioane, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Horne. And Mortlock if he manages to get back to where he was. We should be worried about the forwards.

Just slightly off the outside centre topic, anyone else feel for Lachie Turner? Didn't he get man of the match, or at least Wallaby man of the match, when he played against the All Blacks in Sydney last year? Then Mitchell comes back and he is straight back to the bench. He doesn't seem to get much of a mention in peoples' backline selections here.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Just slightly off the outside centre topic, anyone else feel for Lachie Turner? Didn't he get man of the match, or at least Wallaby man of the match, when he played against the All Blacks in Sydney last year? Then Mitchell comes back and he is straight back to the bench. He doesn't seem to get much of a mention in peoples' backline selections here.

I like Lachie Turner, but really his international career has been flaky to solid, never spectacular.

He's still young, though. And he's still pretty damn quick.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Barnes' concussions are becoming a worrying habit. Even without those I don't think he cemented his spot last tour, albeit putting himself ahead of Gits. JO'C offers so much more at 12 now, and is getting great play making experience back at 10 for the force.

The backline is also missing a big hole puncher - what Morty used to do - and what Diggers now does. Don't forget that before his injury, Diggers was a first pick for Dingo.

Nett: Barnes to bench, JO'C to 12 and Diggers roving role at 14. I also think this could be blessed by Deans

For Tank: Diggers becomes cover for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13

T

TOCC

Reds should move Ioane to outside centre, 4 reasons:
1.Tapuai is really just a passenger in the Reds backline
2. Ioane has good acceleration but average top speed for a winger
3. Reds have quality wingers like Morahan barely getting any game time..
4. Ioane's handling of the ball seems to have improved sufficiently

The only stumbling block i see to this now, is that Lucas will miss the game vs the Lions meaning Morahan or Harris is likely to start at 15 and Link wont want to shuffle the backline around to much now that its starting to link.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Barnes' concussions are becoming a worrying habit. Even without those I don't think he cemented his spot last tour, albeit putting himself ahead of Gits. JO'C offers so much more at 12 now, and is getting great play making experience back at 10 for the force.

The backline is also missing a big hole puncher - what Morty used to do - and what Diggers now does. Don't forget that before his injury, Diggers was a first pick for Dingo.

Nett: Barnes to bench, JO'C to 12 and Diggers roving role at 14. I also think this could be blessed by Deans

For Tank: Diggers becomes cover for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13

Yeah it's going back 2 years when digby was one of our best backs but injures stopped him from internationals. A good year will see him in 13 for sure.but he is far from a mortlock.

The truth is if we had good big 13s we would be a really good show at international level. It would make us such a more threatening imposing side. If we had a nonu or a deviliers/foure(stormers) God I miss inform younger mortlock.

Go the force!!!!

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
This discussion it actually a great problem to have. We have such a wealth of backline options at the moment. I honestly am not overly worried about the backline, particularly outside centre, as we've got three class options in Ioane, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Horne. And Mortlock if he manages to get back to where he was. We should be worried about the forwards.

when turner first burst onto the scene he used what got him there> his pace
unfortunately a phobia of contact sees him kicking the ball at every opportunity nowdays to the point where i doubt he can even run for 40 meters
shame so much potential

T

TOCC

Interesting to note on the same weekend the Brumbies shunt AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to the wing, the Reds move Ioane to outside centre!

The Mayor of Perth

Ted Fahey (11)
Interesting to note on the same weekend the Brumbies shunt AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to the wing, the Reds move Ioane to outside centre!

And a big chance now for Diggers to claim that gold 13 jersey. I hope he can stay on the park for an extended period of time. In the last furlong...AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) just in front, a nice gap opens for Diggers, does Stirlo have one more effort? Cummo working hard.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
And a big chance now for Diggers to claim that gold 13 jersey. I hope he can stay on the park for an extended period of time. In the last furlong...AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) just in front, a nice gap opens for Diggers, does Stirlo have one more effort? Cummo working hard.

...And in the dying seconds of the race, Horne comes back from injury and Deans sees the light. ;)

T

Tank

Thanks again everyone for your comments.

Am liking Diggers getting a go at OC this week - if he plays 4 or 5 games there for the Reds this year and goes well, am happy for him to be Wallaby OC or Wallaby OC back up. Was concerned that our leading contenders for OC would not get much game time there for their Super team. With Horne injured, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) shunted and Diggers on the wing, top three choices were not going to have much time this year.

Anyway, if all three can play a fair bit of OC it will be good.

On that, I really hope Ripia comes back and JOC (James O'Connor) moves to 12.

As you have all said, the Genia, Cooper, Mitchell, JOC (James O'Connor), AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Ioane, Beale backline looks pretty special. Get some go forward ball and look out!

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
On that, I really hope Ripia comes back and JOC (James O'Connor) moves to 12.

As you have all said, the Genia, Cooper, Mitchell, JOC (James O'Connor), AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Ioane, Beale backline looks pretty special. Get some go forward ball and look out!

Sure does. With any kind of parity in the pigs, they could do some special things. A tiny bit worried about the defence though.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
He's our most consistent and reliable back and has the runs on the board at test level, including his most recent performances. He has to play IMHO.

looks completely out of touch to me. As I said if he regains any sort of form I may change my mind but he could very easily become yesterday's technology given the wealth of other talent at this point.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
Current Team for me for a big game ie bledisloe, WC final ect:

1. Robinson
2. Polota Nao
3. Slipper
4. Horwill
5. Sharpe
6. Elsom
7. Pocock
8. Palu
9. genia
10. cooper
11. Mitchell
12. JOC (James O'Connor)
13. Ioane (think about JOC (James O'Connor) and Ioane as a center combo, devastating, one a gap creating maniac the other a recking ball)
14. ?
15. Beale
16. Moore
17. Vickerman if fit
18. ?
19. Burgess
20. Barnes
21. ? AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) doesn't even seem worthy of a spot in matchday 22 as of late...
22. ?

fill in the blanks for me lads

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
It's a nice looking team. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) deserves a spot as the incumbent regardless I feel though. Having him and dig by interchange between wing and outside centre is fine for me.

I still can't see how we can play a 10/12 channel with JOC (James O'Connor) and Quade and not worry about defense. It will work fine against smaller nations but as soon as our forwards lose parity it's going to get hammered. The first couple of games where qld dismember fast ball and genia and quade really didn't cope still worry me, England would be rubbing there hands together.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
and this is why we have impact player berrick. Shit goes down -> berrick comes on shifts JOC (James O'Connor) to wing and stabilizes.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
It makes no sense to have berrick on the bench. Out of the three of them JOC (James O'Connor) is the best bench option cos he covers the most positions and would make the most impact.

Start berrick take the sting out for the first 30-50 then let JOC (James O'Connor) cut loose

Status
Not open for further replies.