• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Outside Centre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Plenty of players have been moved around position to position, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) notably. Shep will never get a run at 13 provincially because he is too good at 15 but in terms of skill set I'd assume he'd be an asset in the side. Some players take to new positions like a duck to water and arguably back three would set you up nicely to pick defensive structures. This whole article is about how bare the cupboard is at 13!

And Deans has such a wonderful track record playing 15s at 13, as well. ;)

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
I have no idea what this thread is talking about anymore because I haven't read through it, but Berrick Barnes cannot be our fly half. He can't bring himself into attack (and everyone else) like Cooper or O'Connor can.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
heavily edited

9: Genia
10. Beale
11. Mitchell
12. Barnes/Gits
13. Ioane
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
QC (Quade Cooper), Gerrard and someone else in the mix somewhere

I think this could well have evolved, and been a good or maybe even better side then what we have now. As I recall the chain of events, Ioane stuffed his shoulder and Horne his elbow (not in that order). AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) gets 13 as a result and Beale gets an extended opportunity at fullback, finds his feet and excels. We put up with Coopers defence because Gits does it (10) so badly, Barnes doesn't quite threaten enough at 10...... and Beale is a real threat at 15 why would you move him.

An injury less or in a different order and maybe Beale would have been tried at 10 from the bench and made it his own..... and Ioane or Horne are still running at 13, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 15.

E

El Gamba

All good points. I'd be less nervous if he'd played in the midfield before, but Cummins is doing a job at 13 and I have a feeling that we'd be reducing a strength (fullback) to cover a perceived weakness (outside centre).

Well we have to keep Shep at Fullback for the Force so he won't get a run at 13 anyway. Watching the Rugby Club last night I also think that Shep probably lacks a little bit of explosiveness off the mark for 13, not an issue at 15 as you get to time your runs more (I was Perth's slowest winger or fullback over the first 5 metres but pretty quick from the 20 metre mark! - maybe that's why I like Shep so much!)

G

GC

After Mortlock's performance yesterday + the rate at which he's getting back to the legend he's been, I'd have him at Wallabies OC. Particularly if JOC (James O'Connor) moves in to IC - they'd be quite a partnership. Plus Morty running full pace onto Quade's flat passes would be a sight to behold.

The big unknown is whether Mortlock can go uninjured for the rest of the season, keep in form and keep improving his pace. Hopefully the poor form early in the season was due only to recovering from a long term injury.

The leadership he brings is massive.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Ben Tapui - he gets involved in the game for the full 80mins, always gets his hands on the ball and sets up his men outside him. Tall, big and fast - just what we need to combat the SBW breed.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Ben Tapui - he gets involved in the game for the full 80mins, always gets his hands on the ball and sets up his men outside him. Tall, big and fast - just what we need to combat the SBW breed.

I'm glad Ben Tapuai is getting a solid go at the Reds, but mainly because he will get is being given a chance to find his feet at the super level, and he's clearly talented. He's a way off running around in green and gold yet.

wobbly

Fred Wood (13)
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Horne
mortlock
Ioane
Cummings

Really they're the only ones who'll be considered this year.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
I'm glad Ben Tapuai is getting a solid go at the Reds, but mainly because he will get is being given a chance to find his feet at the super level, and he's clearly talented. He's a way off running around in green and gold yet.

Yeh I was having a laugh mate. Tapuai is a ghost. Bring back Chambers please.

G

GC

On current form, order is:

Mortlock
Ioane
Cummins
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

The selectors will go for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) as he's done it for the Wobs in the recent past. He's not playing well for the Brumbies though.

Horne's permanently broken so shouldn't be considered until be gets decent time on the park. The chances of him making it through a (shortened) Tri then RWC are minimal. Better sticking with someone who might actually play every game.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Thought has to be given to the fundamental balance and the dynamics of the backline in both attack and defence. IMO Barnes is looking a very shakey proposition now. How many concussions is that now, two in two games and if I remember rightly 2 last year as well. He is looking more and more shakey IMO and could be retired early as Flately was.

If Cooper is at 10 and I think there can be no doubt about it there must be a strong defensive centre beside him. Finger - maybe, but that would be limiting on the attack and I'm not really a fan, JOC (James O'Connor) - a technically very accurate defender but hardly dominant and the big centres of England, NZ and Frogland won't be hesitant to run in that channel especially with Cooper waving his arms about in attempted bitch slap type tackles. Morty - shouldn't be considered he isn't a 12 and gets caught rushing up too often. Giteau - he is coming strongly into focus and would have to be my second choice behind JOC (James O'Connor) is Barnes isn't cleared fully from these concussions.

The 13 Spot depends very much on who is inside but I have to say that Morty is looking by far the best of the Oz 13's so far even though he has been at 12 for the last two games. I find myself wishing that Inman had remained fit, he could have been a real smokey chance for a start in the lead-up tests.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Ioane is getting back to devastating, he made a colander of the Cheetahs. Would like to see him at 13 for the Reds and maybe Morahan on the wing, apart from the fact that Ioane is so damaging roving from 11.

He isn't one to pass a lot, but crikey.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Gnostic, if Fainga'a was at 12 I don't think it would be such a bad thing and I don't think we would be limited on attack, in fact I think he would bring a lot of structure to the backline. If you want attack you got Genia, Cooper, J'OC, Mitchell, Beale, Ioane, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

Having said that, I see no problem in having J'OC at 12 either. We use to have Giteau at 12 next to Cooper - what's the difference? J'OC probably holds his own better anyway these days.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
He isn't one to pass a lot, but crikey.

I disagree - often you'll find he is so far out in front having beaten about 6 guys that there is no body to pass it to. He is a very good linking winger, whatever that means.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Balance is the key, but combinations also. And on the latter Beale and Bieber have a very good combo at the back. They're not dissimilar in the way they come into the line and "rove". They are effective when they do that but when one does it the other covers the wing/FB area.

I wouldn't move either.

That leaves AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to the midfield.

I can't see Deans breaking up the Genia/Cooper combination, especially with Burgess showing indifferent form.

I'd be interested to see if you go with Mitchell in 11, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to 12 (shore up defense) and Digby to 13 (where last year he was superb before getting injured)

Whilst AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) was found wanting somewhat at 12 a few years back, he is a far more accomplished and rounded player now. His distribution game is better nd he has a massive boot to help with field position duties.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
I like Ioane at 13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has been out of form thus far, but heaps of time to turn it around. I've never been his biggest fan but he has done very well recently in the Wallaby jumper.

I'd like to see:

9.Genia
10. Cooper
11. JOC (James O'Connor)
12. Barnes
13. Ioane
14. Davies
15. Beale

Not exactly balanced but loads of talent and the level head of BB to calm things down when needed and most of the guys can interchange positions when needed.

D

danielok

Cummins looking better and better at 13. Allows him to make use of his size and solid tackling more than out on the wing.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I like Ioane at 13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has been out of form thus far, but heaps of time to turn it around. I've never been his biggest fan but he has done very well recently in the Wallaby jumper.

I'd like to see:

9.Genia
10. Cooper
11. JOC (James O'Connor)
12. Barnes
13. Ioane
14. Davies
15. Beale

Not exactly balanced but loads of talent and the level head of BB to calm things down when needed and most of the guys can interchange positions when needed.

You wouldn't have AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) anywhere in the line up?

Status
Not open for further replies.