• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Outside Centre

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

centreman

I'd go a little further, c-man, in general (i.e. apart from the Reds) Australia's backs haven't really set the world on fire, particularly in the outside backs. It's a little troubling, but of course the Wallabies will have the combined resources of the 5 provinces.
I agree. We're talking on this thread about outside centre but with Berrick Barnes recurring concussion problems inside centre may also become an issue. The form of Giteau hasn't been as bad as some GG posters claim but he still isn't the player he was 3-4 years ago.
As I mentioned on a previous post Graham Henrys choices for centres in Conrad Smith,Fruen,Ranger,Payne,Kahui at OC and SBW,Nonu,McAllister at IC must make Deans envious.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yeah but that's always going to be something the AB's will have over the Wallabies, they're always going to be spoilt for choice.

2012 will be a much better year for Wallaby fans. Giteau's moving on, and that's not just a jab at his character; this will open up a spot for development. Some G&GR members would like to see Horne get a go at 12, but I think Deans will definitely go for the dual playmaker role, and this opens options.

Just think; in 2012, the options at 12 could be:
  • Barnes
  • JO'C
  • To'omua
  • Lei'lifano (sp)
  • Fainga'a
And at 13, we could see one of:
  • Horne
  • AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
  • Inman
  • Cummins
  • Chambers
  • Turner
  • Morahan
  • McCabe
Those are quality lists. Style of play, form, experience and injury will whittle it down to a handful of names, and then Deans picks his best.

Personally, I can't wait til we get this pesky RWC out of the way and get some of these exciting young prospects onto the park.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
A. Finger would be a stop gap measure that can fill a hole defensively, he offers nothing in attack.

I would suggest the A. Finger needs to demonstrate the ability to stand up Fruen et al, make a break and score or set up his winger consistently before he should be seriously considered.

You are probably right, but I don't recall any other 13 option doing that this year. So why does he have to do more than everyone else is doing?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
A. Finger would be a stop gap measure that can fill a hole defensively, he offers nothing in attack.

Unfortunately for Ant his one starting test may have prejudiced Dean against him. He can tackle, but twice in that test in Christchurch he put himself in a position not to make tackles, which he is good at, and twice the All Blacks scored converted tries as a consequence, and won 20-10. Deans took him on the 2010 EOYT but Ant didn't get on the park in a test match.

He's entitled to a second chance at starting, but in crunch test matches that may not happen until after the RWC unless others aren't available.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Just think; in 2012, the options at 12 could be:
  • Barnes
  • JO'C
  • To'omua
  • Lei'lifano (sp)
  • Fainga'a

Been really disappointed in To'omua, he seems a couple of steps behind everyone else at the moment. He's been in poor form for the Brumbies, and even as late as on the weekend for Easts playing 12 he seemed to be outplayed and missing that class touch he had last year. I'd have Robbie Coleman from the Brumbies above him based on this years form.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
You are probably right, but I don't recall any other 13 option doing that this year. So why does he have to do more than everyone else is doing?

He has to do it once, he hasn't shown it yet, we would lose little in defense with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13, but we add the ability to attack as well.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Been really disappointed in To'omua, he seems a couple of steps behind everyone else at the moment. He's been in poor form for the Brumbies, and even as late as on the weekend for Easts playing 12 he seemed to be outplayed and missing that class touch he had last year. I'd have Robbie Coleman from the Brumbies above him based on this years form.

I wonder how much that would have to do with his confidence after being snubbed by the Brumbies this year...

It was clear at the end of last season that To'omua/Giteau was their best 10/12 combination, and that Giteau wasn't suited to flyhalf...

But of course they persisted, and To'omua came in 1/4 way through the season at fullback... I mean flyhalf... I mean inside centre... I mean that silly tri-half system...

I still wonder if he would've continued from last year if he had've begun the season at 10?

The Brumbies backline looked its best when Giteau played 12 this year...

I think next year the Brumbies need to go for To'omua/Coleman 10/12 axis, with Lilo at fullback so McCabe can shift into outside centre...

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
He has to do it once, he hasn't shown it yet, we would lose little in defense with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13, but we add the ability to attack as well.

Would we? Not saying there is a right or wrong to that question but what Ant does bring is a far better distributing game which opens up the potential for attack in another area. Personally I would not be uncomfortable seeing Ant at 13 and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) outside him. Replace Drew with another destructive ball runner.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
I wonder how much that would have to do with his confidence after being snubbed by the Brumbies this year...

I doubt it. To'omua was given first crack at it during preseason and turned out some ordinary performances which is what led to Coleman playing his way into the team. Since then he has shown nothing in his time with the Brumby Runners, when he was given the chance in Super 15, or even at club level. He played his way out of the team and others played their way into the team rather than being snubbed. I think his confidence issue has more to do with his troublesome knee, he hasn't been the same player since, which is somewhat understandable. Hopefully with the relative rest from this year, and joining the "new" team under White next year he is fresh, rejuvenated and is back to his best.

HG

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Unfortunately for Ant his one starting test may have prejudiced Dean against him..

Rubbish! no way will Deans carry that sort of baggage, he is a professional coach and will conduct himself and his selections in a professional way.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Rubbish! no way will Deans carry that sort of baggage, he is a professional coach and will conduct himself and his selections in a professional way.

Caleb Ralph just called and said he agrees with this post.

But then Christian Cullen texted and said that's bullshit.......lol

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I rate Horne, Inman and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) as great OCs, but none of them have any form at the moment for obvious reasons. Hopefully that will change.

When I think about an inside centre for the Wallabies I look for someone who is big, fast, strong, can bend the line, get the ball away and push the opponent backwards in a tackle. Carter is close. And before all you anti-Carter psychopaths respond, think of the fun SBW will have in the 10/12 channel if we choose JOC (James O'Connor), Giteau, Barnes or McCabe. How these guys respond to a SBW bellringing tackle is also a consideration.

M

Maroon Army

You know when someone's carrying a huge chip on their shoulder when they label someone an anti-carter psychopath.... :lmao:

HG

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I never liked the way Carter played football, but this year I have come around somewhat. In an underperforming team he has been a consistently good player in the backline.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
TH, I don't think we can rate Inman as a great 13 yet. He's very solid, but nowhere near the class of Horne or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at present. He may develop into a very good player, but that is yet to be seen. If you have a player like him (or other crashers) at 13, I don't believe you need (or even want) the kind of player you describe as a 12. I believe you have the crasher in one position and the distributor in the other. It doesn't matter a huge amount which position they occupy, but I firmly believe that you need the two complimentary skill sets.

As far as Carter goes, he showed on Saturday night why he won't ever be an international 12. He just doesn't have the pace to play at that level.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Tugboat is a quality Super Rugby player and might have been the form 12 of the Aussie teams in the first half of the season, but not very likely to ever succeed at the next level and just as likely to get the chance.

JOC (James O'Connor) is a chance, but I think with Mitchell's injury it's likely to be him and Digby on the wings.

Personally, I think that if Gits keeps playing this way he has to start at 12. He is a good enough defender to contain SBW, I think. Besides, that will be a team effort more than a single man. Giteau might not be a good first 5, but he is a certainly a play-making 12 means having a player at 13 without distribution skills will be less problematic.

nathan

Darby Loudon (17)
TH, I don't think we can rate Inman as a great 13 yet. He's very solid, but nowhere near the class of Horne or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at present. He may develop into a very good player, but that is yet to be seen. If you have a player like him (or other crashers) at 13, I don't believe you need (or even want) the kind of player you describe as a 12. I believe you have the crasher in one position and the distributor in the other. It doesn't matter a huge amount which position they occupy, but I firmly believe that you need the two complimentary skill sets.

As far as Carter goes, he showed on Saturday night why he won't ever be an international 12. He just doesn't have the pace to play at that level.

Agreed. He was so slow trying to get to the grubber, ultimately letting the lions score a try. All chariots and what not.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I saw that try differently.

The thing about Carter is that he read the play, stopped, turned and and almost prevented the try. Beale and Barnes who were defending inside him didn't even bother to slide in defence. They were lazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.