• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Outside Centre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
You couldn't rate Horne as any sort of centre since he has never played more than a couple of games.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
You couldn't rate Horne as any sort of centre since he has never played more than a couple of games.

I rate Horne as a stand out centre who has been hampered by injuries.

I think I just rated Horne so your statement has been disproved.

In any event if he is fit and gets a run and proves himself why wouldn't you consider him.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I rate Horne as a stand out centre who has been hampered by injuries.

I think I just rated Horne so your statement has been disproved.

In any event if he is fit and gets a run and proves himself why wouldn't you consider him.

Not only do I rate Horne immensely on his ability but quite often he's proved he requires no time to get back into form. I remember him twice coming back from injury and putting in great performances the next game. If he's fit I'd go with him tbh. His talent is enormous.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
JOC (James O'Connor) is a chance, but I think with Mitchell's injury it's likely to be him and Digby on the wings.

I really think he is wasted on the wing, even though he is a great finisher. Barnes hasn't shown anything to be considered starting 12, and despite his good season, Giteau has been found out at international level. We have enough depth with wingers to keep O'Connor at 12.

And i don't think it will matter who is opposite SBW, David Pocock will belt him in that channell anyway :-D

drewprint

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I really think he is wasted on the wing, even though he is a great finisher. Barnes hasn't shown anything to be considered starting 12, and despite his good season, Giteau has been found out at international level. We have enough depth with wingers to keep O'Connor at 12.

And i don't think it will matter who is opposite SBW, David Pocock will belt him in that channell anyway :-D

Whaaa? Giteau has been great at international level. His recent poor season doesn't wipe out the many years of great work he's done beforehand. And now he's back playing well (or so I regularly hear, I haven't caught a Brumbies match yet) so I think he's probably the leading contender for the inside centre role.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Whaaa? Giteau has been great at international level. His recent poor season doesn't wipe out the many years of great work he's done beforehand. And now he's back playing well (or so I regularly hear, I haven't caught a Brumbies match yet) so I think he's probably the leading contender for the inside centre role.

To be honest, I've watched at least half the Brumbies games this year, and he hasn't done anything that would warrant a starting spot. He still runs across field frequently, lacks that attacking go forward that players like Quade Cooper and O'Connor have. I would definatly have him on the bench though. He also fell out of favour with Deans last year (who seems to prefer Barnes).

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Not only do I rate Horne immensely on his ability but quite often he's proved he requires no time to get back into form. I remember him twice coming back from injury and putting in great performances the next game. If he's fit I'd go with him tbh. His talent is enormous.

Rubbish. Horne, like most other players, has taken a while to come back to form after long term injury layoffs. Start of last year, for instance, he was plain awful.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Rubbish. Horne, like most other players, has taken a while to come back to form after long term injury layoffs. Start of last year, for instance, he was plain awful.

He came off the bench (first appearance for the year I believe ) against the Bulls in Loftus and nearly won it for the Tahs??

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I have to agree with Ash, While Horne has shown a lot of potential I doubt very much he will be in Test level form come RWC. He has not played all year and the year before he only had a handful of games. Maybe if he had one or two good games in super rugby and then the whole tri-nations he could get a spot for RWC but I dont think he will be back in time for that. With such limited game time i don't think he deserves a spot which is a shame because he could have been very handy.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He's played 2 games and half. Not nothing but still as much as Palu, if he comes back through club rugby I don't see why not. There's really no one else.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I don't doubt Horne's ability, but I do think he has taken a while to get back to full form after each previous extended layoff. There's very few players who do come back to form quickly, and it depends on the injury.

The poor kid has so many major injury concerns already, rushing him into a World Cup starting side without at least a month of rugby under his belt is a huge risk.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Ash, that pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter too. If Horne were a proven superstar, you might be tempted to give him a little more latitude.

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
I really like Horne but come on, how can we talk about him playing at the world cup?

Comparing Hynes and Horne is easy. Hynes is a proven international, Horne isn't. Horne has great potential, but atm that is all it is potential. He tackles well, puts his body on the line in a way that you can't help but respect him, yet he still lacks something in attack. He didn't set the world on fire in his debut tests and they were against weak opposition.

Half of you seem to want a centre combo of barnes and horne. Great defence but what do they offer on attack? Nothing... well little compared to AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and JOC (James O'Connor).

World cups may be won on defence, but you must be able to score to even be considered. AND we don't have a reliable goal-kicker nor the forward pack to play any other way than with a fully attacking backline.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I don't think he has been tested at 13 for the Wallabies yet. From what I recall he was quite when he played for them last year. Don't get me wrong I think he could be a great 13 if he gets the chance to play some rugby but this year is to soon in my eyes. Gerrard has been doing a good job for the Rebels and would have to come into consideration. Would love AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to find some form in 13 for the Ponies.

Status
Not open for further replies.