• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Outside Centre

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
My Australasian backline was picked on current form plus injured players likely to be back World Cup time.
I havn't considered Drew Mitchell and therefore my only Aussie to replace a Kiwi in my backline would be Genia.

So you reckon Conrad, Nonu, Weepu (hardly played anyway), Jane are all travelling well, form-wise , of late? Having seen what they can do when actually in good form, I would not say any of those are currently showing anywhere near their best. You did say current form.

W

waves

13 is definately going to be a worry other positions seem sorted though

C

centreman

So you reckon Conrad, Nonu, Weepu (hardly played anyway), Jane are all travelling well, form-wise , of late? Having seen what they can do when actually in good form, I would not say any of those are currently showing anywhere near their best. You did say current form.

I did say plus injured players due back for the World Cup which would include guys like Carter,Conrad Smith and Weepu. I thought Nonu looked good last start but agree this season hasn't been his best. Henrys options for centre pairings are enviable.

T

tranquility

I honestly would not mind seeing Gerrard get a run, the way he bounced Ant in contact made me realise just how big a bloke he is. Although he should never play on the wing again, too slow!

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Gerrard bouncing Ant was awesome, especially given his allegedly legendary defence? :p

Nah, I thought Fainga'a was solid today without being anything special, he's strong but he really isn't that quick. Wouldn't mind seeing Garrard in the squad, think he can cover a few bases if he has to.

T

tranquility

Lucas is an amazing tackler and dynamite at the breakdown. An outside chance for fb if Beale is ever injured/rested.

I wouldn't have thought so. But I would not be against him being on the bench. He can cover; 9, 10, 12, 15. and as you mentioned doesn't he get some turnovers for a small bloke?

HG

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Thought I would revive this again, after watching AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) closely over the last few weeks, I still beleive his from is very patchy. Also not playing in the 13 spot my hinder his chances. He will be picked in the squad but needs to make every post a winner from now on.
The Reds V Crusaders game will be a massive game for A. Finger if he plays well, he should play himself into the squad.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
A. Finger would be a stop gap measure that can fill a hole defensively, he offers nothing in attack.

I would suggest the A. Finger needs to demonstrate the ability to stand up Fruen et al, make a break and score or set up his winger consistently before he should be seriously considered.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'd love to see the Brumbies play McCabe at outside centre this year but it's not going to happen...

He's got all the attributes...

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
A. Finger would be a stop gap measure that can fill a hole defensively, he offers nothing in attack.

I would suggest the A. Finger needs to demonstrate the ability to stand up Fruen et al, make a break and score or set up his winger consistently before he should be seriously considered.

Thats a pretty tall order, fp. Have any of the Aussies done that?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

This year? nup

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) & Digby are the only units running around that can offer a "threat" at 13, the rest are filling holes

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) was average in the S14 last year as well, but was still doing this by the end, I can't see any other valid options really

[video=youtube;1yAmoNt3yvE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yAmoNt3yvE[/video]

C

centreman

Precicely, thats why we have a problem and this thread is continuing. Even though AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is not being run at OC watching Saturdays game he is sadly out of form and really contributed nothing. Lets hope he is saving himself for the WC.
I'm not sure I've ever seen A Finger make a line break and Gerard would surely be a better option even if he lacks a bit of pace.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'd go a little further, c-man, in general (i.e. apart from the Reds) Australia's backs haven't really set the world on fire, particularly in the outside backs. It's a little troubling, but of course the Wallabies will have the combined resources of the 5 provinces.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I'd go a little further, c-man, in general (i.e. apart from the Reds) Australia's backs haven't really set the world on fire, particularly in the outside backs.

I think that can be attributed to the way the other Provinces are playing. Drew Mitchell was the only outside back not from QLD who was showing form.
If NSW played the way they did in the first half against the Lions, players like Beale and Turner would be playing much better.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I agree, but as someone who's played in the outside backs and centres basically my whole career (yeah yeah, I can hear you Mr Burke, no Superugby experience) they can't just sit back and complain that the inside men aren't giving them the ball. If you want it, you've got to go and get it sometimes.

C

centreman

Interesting that the OC,s for the 4 Australian provinces last weekend were Ryan Cross,Mark Gerrard,Tyrone Smith and Rory Sidey none of whom would be in Robbie Deans radar at the moment I expect.
Deans has to have a quiet word with Tony Rae regarding the greater good and put AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) back to OC and hopefully he can gain some confidence and form in the remaining 4 games.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Yeah I agree, that's why Mitchell was playing so well, as is Ioane. I think a lot of players lack that initiative, Adam Ashley-Cooper for example, since being moved to the Wing has not really gone infield looking for the ball, which would be ideal for a player like him.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) should be our starting 13. He is out of form, but i think that he will do a lot better when he gets away from that Brumbies set up. When he is working under RD he will be a much better player.

We know the guy is a world class player, but the Brumbies are in a bad spot at the moment. It might cost a few players starts this year, but AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) was a machine in gold last year and he should be given that opportunity again.

Having said that it would be good to get one or two other blokes into the fold to have a shot at 13 like Ant Fa'ainga in case AACs form slump continues into the internationals.

Status
Not open for further replies.