• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Outside Centre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Don't forget, some people are just prone to getting concussed. Only so much you can do about that and in a high contact sport it'll get found out

S

Skippy

Agree Gagger. some blokes are just prone to it whilst others who play a similar all guns blazing, no concerns for their own safety style - never get concussed. I think its abit like those who have glass jaws and those who don't. Some blokes can take a punch others go down like Bambi on ice. I've seen plenty of blokes who just are so prone to head concussions every game and it's just a result of their anatomical and physiology make up. I've seen other guys whose shoulder pop out from a strong gust of wind etc but take full on head buts and punches to the jaw and just smile them away. Barnes and TPN are just susceptible to concussion. Not from technique (although TPN's doesn't help), not from playing more aggressively or more full on than anyone else. It's just who they are and how they are made.

hughkh

Bob McCowan (2)
Outside centre

Wallaby outside centre should be Giteau with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at inside centre. He rarely plays there but he's too good a player not to have starting in your team.

baz

Frank Nicholson (4)
somethin to seriously consider and is often over looked, is player versatilty. Ewen has done well this yr coz he's been smart enuf to select players that allow a 5/2 split on the bench. That extra forward with fresh legs in the last 20 mins is often the difference between winning and losing. Backs that can play several positions and hopefully goal kick as well, are gold for coaches in the modern high speed game where forwards run out of puff later in games. If we are smart, and Robbie definitely is, player versatility and goal kicking will be a big part of the equation come World Cup time. I'd also like to add that i notice defense is highly under rated in the media and on most forums. It's very hard to beat a team that defends and kicks their goals. Not flashy, but it wins games. Lets not forget the knockout games in the World Cup are all at nite, unda lites with a ball that will be wet by that time in NZ. Highlanders style rugby wins games in these conditions. I suggest that when players are rated those factors should be taken into account

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to be benched ..........................

Larkham backs Giteau for Wallabies start
Chris Dutton in Durban
May 3, 2011 - 11:18AM

Matt Giteau has played well enough to regain his spot in the Wallabies' starting XV and Australian great Stephen Larkham says the ACT Brumbies skipper can challenge Quade Cooper for his No.10 Test jersey.

While the ACT Brumbies have failed to deliver in their Super Rugby campaign, Giteau has been a stand-out performer.

He is the only Brumby in contention for the Australian Super Rugby player of the year award halfway through the season.
Advertisement: Story continues below

And after being dropped from Robbie Deans's starting Wallabies line-up last year, ACT attack coach and former Test flyhalf Larkham said selectors would be crazy not to give Giteau a major role at the World Cup in September and October.

Larkham was the Wallabies' chief playmaker at three World Cups, including the 1999 triumph.

Queensland's Cooper has been Deans's preferred flyhalf for the past two seasons with Giteau spending his time at Test level at inside centre.

But despite the Brumbies' poor record in 2011, Larkham declared Giteau the form Australian player in Super Rugby.

"[Giteau] has to be [the Wallabies'] 10 or 12 for the World Cup," Larkham said.

"I can't see anyone in Australian rugby who is playing as well as him at the moment.

"From the outside maybe it doesn't look like he's doing everything, but internally he's doing everything that's asked of him and more.

"It depends on how Robbie wants to use his 10 and 12 combination [at the World Cup], but the important thing is that Gitty's able to get out on the park and contribute.

"I guess he fits into the Wallabies anywhere he can control the play."

Giteau will likely remain in the Brumbies' No.12 jumper for their match against the Durban Sharks in South Africa on Sunday morning.

There will be minimal changes to the back line which lost to the Free State Cheetahs 47-36 last weekend with Robbie Coleman in contention to force his way onto the wing.

The Brumbies' poor form has done little to help the chances of their World Cup hopefuls.

How the ACT's disappointing year affects Deans's thinking will not be known for the next two months.

But the playmaker debate will be the most hotly contested. Incumbent Wallabies flyhalf Cooper has lifted the Queensland Reds to third on the ladder while the Brumbies are languishing in 10th.

Berrick Barnes has been impressive when not injured and James O'Connor has shown his potential for taking on more responsibility as a flyhalf or inside centre.

Giteau will leave Australian rugby after the World Cup to start a stint with Toulon in France.

Brumbies head coach Tony Rea jumped to his star playmaker's defence after the loss to the Cheetahs.

"It's a testament to [Giteau], it's easy to come back in the great times and have all the glory times," Rea said. "He didn't come back [to Canberra] for this, but the way he has been playing, he has been the same bloke, tougher, better, stronger and he will do it again next week.

"He needs a few more blokes with him if I'm being honest, he's carrying too much."

Larkham was adamant the Brumbies' Wallabies contingent still had enough time to prove their worth to Deans.

However, the Brumbies have been beaten by every Australian team so far this season and Deans has been keeping a close eye on Super Rugby action as he searches for winning combinations for Test success.

Adam Ashley-Cooper will be under pressure to keep his starting spot after his chequered start to the year.

The Canberra Times

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...abies-start-20110503-1e5uc.html#ixzz1LGZ5OIbf

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Is he watching the same Gitty we are watching! And he should control play! Working well for his club side!

D

daz

"From the outside maybe it doesn't look like he's doing everything, but internally he's doing everything that's asked of him and more".

Gobsmacked. Seriously.

Is this another example of me not being qualified to make comment due to my lack of Super Rugby caps?

Because to me, what Stevie boy is saying is "Gits looks like he is playing like shit to you, but as far as the Brumbies coaching staff are concerned, he is gonna win us a RWC".

Maybe the Brumbies have a very low KPI for Gits, like, I dunno, just turn up? Anything above that is exceeding expectations....

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I haven't seen a lot of Brumbies games this year, so can anyone give me a quick precis on his form? I know he polarises opinion, but I don't have a good handle on whether or not there is any substance to Bernie's claims.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I have only seen a couple, both with him at 10 and he certainly didn't control the game as larkham alludes to. Those quotes beggar belief.

L

Lachlan

Runs across field a lot. Makes plenty of breaks by beating his man on the outside. Kicks for goal terribly and should never be considered as a first choice kicker. Completes most of his tackles but none are dominant. Good hands. Same old player really. Would be a great option on the bench to cover 10,12 & 15 - all of which he's played this year. Covers 9 in a pinch too.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
i think gits has been playing much better this year >> although not well enough to take coopers 10>>
wow id love to see him in form outside of cooper and inside a dominant 13>>

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
"From the outside maybe it doesn't look like he's doing everything, but internally he's doing everything that's asked of him and more".

Gobsmacked. Seriously.

Is this another example of me not being qualified to make comment due to my lack of Super Rugby caps?

Because to me, what Stevie boy is saying is "Gits looks like he is playing like shit to you, but as far as the Brumbies coaching staff are concerned, he is gonna win us a RWC".

You may well be right, daz, but I think that what the Larkster said lends itself to a more literal interpretation. "internally ... doing everything that asked of him and more" could refer to the fact that he is following the Club nutritionist's advice on diet and not sinking too much piss.

I don't think the bar is set very high these days at Acapulco-by-the-Lake, so the coaches are inclined to praise anything that a player does right, even the Git.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think it could be a bit of a coaching strategy. Much like boxing when you build the boxers confidence with praising. Larkham as coach certainly should not say Gits should not be in the wallabies that would not be great for his confidence and we all know gits is a confidence player, If his confidence is down he is shit house but when its high he's world class. Larkham is probably only building his confidence to make him a better player.... I hope

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Barnes and TPN are just susceptible to concussion. Not from technique (although TPN's doesn't help), not from playing more aggressively or more full on than anyone else. It's just who they are and how they are made.

Im going to have to disagree with you there. You are right in saying Barnes is just susceptible to concussions. But I believe TPN's is a technique issue as well as an aggression issue. He is definitly more aggressive them most other players. This combination of recklessness and aggressiveness makes him more susceptiable to concussions, not because he is made of glass like Barnes. I think if other players played with the same style as TPN they would have twice as many concussions. He's a tough bloke!

Status
Not open for further replies.