• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Outside Centre

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daz

I was really impressed with Nick Cummins at 13. Good hard runner and tackler, I wouldn't mind him in a gold jersey if a few go down. Certainly a good option on the bench.

I still have that old "oh shit" feeling whenever Cummins look like getting the ball. Last year he continually dropped the ball (hard hands or thinking too far ahead) and was either running flat out in the wrong position, or was flat-footed in the right position. A bit like Cross, actually.

Having said that, this year Cummins has certainly stepped up. I'm still not convinced he is ready for a Wobs squad.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Lets wait and see how A.Fainga goes against Fruen and SBW in a few weeks time. On paper he seems to have the right traits for a good 13, great defender, good distributor, runs hard and straight and generally makes the right option. But he does seem to lack something: strength? or just a lack of impact on attack?

Can some-one tell me what the hell is going on with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)? His lack of form is a worry.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I just don't think Morty is anywhere near fast enough any more, TBH. He'd require a change in our game plan.

I like the suggestions of McCabe and Cummins, and let's not forget Turner. Turner is fast, an experienced Wallaby, has good hands, is an outstanding defender and he has been playing 13. He may not be particularly dynamic but is a safe choice to put on the end of Cooper's long passes.

That's always been my worry with Morts as he stands now: too slow. The body just won't carry him like it used to, which is a shame.

T

TOCC

Just a tad off centre, TOCC.

thanks bruce, but considering one of the leading Wallaby centres is out injured and likely out of RWC contention as a potential result of the NSW medical department, i think its relevant.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
thanks bruce, but considering one of the leading Wallaby centres is out injured and likely out of RWC contention as a potential result of the NSW medical department, i think its relevant.

Blaming the NSW medical department for Horne's injuries is like blaming early-opening pubs for the sunrise.

If you know what I mean.

T

TOCC

Groucho, read my posts, i never 'blamed' the NSW medical department....

T

TOCC

If you read my original post, which nobody seems to be bothered to do, you will find it was in a direct response to a article posted by someone else about Waugh and Horne potentially been ruled out for the rest of the season. I questioned whether it is bad luck or a a lacking medical/condition department on the Waratahs side that players with existing injuries are coming back and suffering recurrences. Alas, the whole parochial crap is once again leading people to jump to conclusions...

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
If you read my original post, which nobody seems to be bothered to do, you will find it was in a direct response to a article posted by someone else about Waugh and Horne potentially been ruled out for the rest of the season. I questioned whether it is bad luck or a a lacking medical/condition department on the Waratahs side that players with existing injuries are coming back and suffering recurrences. Alas, the whole parochial crap is once again leading people to jump to conclusions...

Geez, TOCC, calm down.
Both of us were specifically referring to Horne being fragile, and not so much a result of mismanagement by implication.
Nothing to do with parochialism.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Don't think the tahs medicos can do much with horne just as reds ones couldn't help heenan or mmm. However I do question their handling of tpn.
And Palu and Waugh, although Waugh sounds like he is beyond listening to any sensible advice, and probably makes his own decisions.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
on TPN from the terror today

It's time for Waratahs to ground their kamikaze pilot Tatafu Polota-Nau

Iain Payten
May 02, 2011 12:00AM

Kamikazee: another game another early end following a head clash for Tatafu Polota-Nau. Picture: Mark Evans Source: The Daily Telegraph

THE hair on his head had a different style about it but the sight of Tatafu Polota-Nau knocked flat on the weekend was an all-too familiar sight.

Even after a drought-breaking win by his beloved Parramatta saw the fro go and the braids made, Polota-Nau's pattern of lying hurt on the football field continued with disturbing regularity.

For the second straight week, the NSW hooker was concussed and helped from the field after his kamikaze approach into contact saw him mistime a tackle on Julian Huxley.

NSW officials say Polota-Nau recovered quickly in the sheds and will see a neurologist before deciding whether he is available next week.

The Tahs will pray he's OK to play the Force. Knowing TPN, he probably will be.

But given Polota-Nau's now lengthy track record of head knocks and injuries on a footy field, surely addressing his long-term welfare is a discussion well past overdue in Australian rugby.

There is the World Cup at the end of the year to consider but, more importantly, there has to be doubt whether TPN can stretch his career even another five years with all the punishment his body is taking.

Polota-Nau, 25, not only knocks himself out with alarming frequency, but over the past few years has suffered chronic shoulder, ankle and knee injuries through his refusal to entertain the faintest hint of self-preservation.

And therein lies the problem with "Taf".

The very same attitude that makes Polota-Nau a brilliant, feared and dominant player for NSW and Australia is what has also booking him regular trips to Disneyland, the physio and the surgeon. It also sees him mask problems by playing on through pain and a foggy head.

But what can be done?

NSW desperately need him on the field, for leadership, for scrummaging, for overall grunt at the contact zone.Repeated concussions suggest he now needs a break. But long-term, you sense even a crate of cotton wool isn't going to stop TPN busting himself again in his first game back.

So will it always be a profit v peril deal with Polota-Nau, or can practical steps be taken to minimise risk?

Tackling technique must be the one place to start. Polota-Nau's size gives him confidence to hurtle in and make hits, but hip bones don't care how big you are if you headbutt them. They win.And call it heresy, but maybe a coach needs to advise Polota-Nau to dial back that kamikaze factor a notch as well.

Yes, it could reduce the X-factor but it might also help see TPN finish more matches - and add more years to his career. And surely that's worth it.

Polota-Nau's immense value on the field is never more obvious than when he is off it.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Groucho, read my posts, i never 'blamed' the NSW medical department....

I have read your posts. It is what you were not-so-slyly insinuating.

Or were you just 'innocently' asking a question?

know its probably the wrong thread, but Ive got some concerns in regards to the Waratah's conditioning and medical department, how many players have aggravated existing injuries in the NSW side this season by coming back from injury too soon.

Barnes, Waugh, Horne, Palu, TPN? and Robinson?

Is it a case of bad luck or are they actually been reckless in how they deal there players?

Far be it from me to say you never miss a chance to have a pop at the Waratahs, so I won't. :)

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
FP, that article is spot on. The main thing I don't want to see if Taf end up fracturing his neck or end up with neurological damage as a result of being a mad dog out on the paddock. Go hard, but show some brains (which we know he has) too.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'm going to put this out there:

If Taf continues to show so little regard for his safety and spend so much time injured on the paddock or missing games due to it, then I don't think we can select him for Wallaby duties. At some point, it starts becoming a liability. I think he's a terrific player and all round good bloke, but he has to think of himself and his team mates too.

D

daz

Maybe a bit extreme, TBH.

I'm not having a go at the Tahs, so no flames please....Genuine question:

Given Taf and Barnes seemingly have the same lion heart and the same regular outcomes of tackling technique (i.e. brain damage and lost game time), is there any indication from Tahland that this is being rectified via specific coaching?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I dont think Barnes has a kamikaze tackling technique like TPN does. Barnes has a great tackling technique, but even great defenders can slip up from time to time. I would not put him in the same category as TPN. Barnes and Horne are probably in the same category of "good technique but made of glass and any slip up means 10 weeks off". TPN is not physically injury prone, in fact i'd say he's one of the toughest aussie forwards around but he is reckless.

So I wouldnt totally blame the tahs coaching on bad tackling technique as most the squad are good defenders. Think Beale's, Mitchells and Turners improvement as evidence in the last few years as evidence. When i think of the Tahs i think good defending, boring attack. They do however need to handle TPN better. I think they are just unlucky with Barnes and Horne.

Status
Not open for further replies.