• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Outside Centre

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
OK Gnostic we get your point. Again.

The difference between the cases of Alexander and Elsom is simple. Alexander has not been playing all that badly in Super Rugby. He hasn't been setting the world on fire, but the Brumbies scrum has been pretty good and his workrate has been high. However numerous other tightheads have put their hand up for selection- Kepu, Palmer and Slipper. So now he sits third or fourth in the pecking order.

However whilst Elsom has been sidelined no number 6 has been outstanding. Brown has been his usual workhorse, Saffy has been good but inconsistent, Higgers and Leroy have been OK, Mowen started like a house on fire but has been quiet since. The principle candidates for 6 in Rocky's abscence are guys that have either been playing 8 (McCalman), or 4 (Horwill). So Rocky can still feel relatively safe in getting a spot in the starting XV.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Nothing wrong with Samo, but would see him more as an impact player off the bench.

If Palu wasn't starting at 8, and we had more of a hard worker/grafter there, then I would be tempted to try someone like Samo. Gee, Link has recruited well.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
It's the same for any team. Top line players get injured and you have to make compromises, that's obvious. Take away players like Dan Carter and Richie McCaw and NZ start looking less unstoppable - and they've both been injured in the near past.

I'm glad to have stand out players and not too worried about desperately pulling negatives out of it. We currently have a number of players in each position who could get the job done. It would take a hell of a lot of injuries before we start embarassing ourselves. Our "realistic" depth in each position, at least the way I see it, is as follows:

Props: Robinson, Slipper, Alexander, Kepu, Palmer, Baxter and even Daley brings something to the table.

Locks: Horwill, Sharpe, Simmons, Chisholm, Mumm all have winning test match experience while AWH, Van, Pyle and Wykes could probably get the job done if those 5 are in the same car accident.

Loose fowards: In terms of players who are often stand-outs in Super Matches we have Pocock, Hodgson, Robinson, McCalman, Palu, Elsom and Brown (test match impact is lacking though). There are others, like Saffy, who many have tipped to have the potential to step up to the plate if required.

Half-Backs: Genia, Burgess, Phipps

Fly-Halves: Cooper, Beale , Giteau and Barnes can all play at 5/8. 3 of them have won their share of test-matches there.

Inside Centre: Barnes, Giteau, JOC (James O'Connor), Fainga'a, Harris are all capable of playing this position at Test level in my opinion. Then add in different styles of inside centre like Mortlock, Carter etc and we definitely have options.

Outside Centre: AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Ioane, Horne would all be excellent choices.

Wings: Ioane, Mitchell, Davies, Morahan, Turner, McCabe, JOC (James O'Connor)

Fullback: Beale, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), JOC (James O'Connor), McCabe, Morahan

I know some of the above are listed and obviously they are not all first choice - but my point is that we do have decent depth and all of the players mentioned above could conceivably play some pretty decent Test football.

Good post Godfrey. These may not be the best Wallabies ever (although they might grow into that role) but we've never had depth like this before.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
As far as blindside goes, after Elsom I don't see a huge amount of quality. I would only consider guys like Saffy or Dennis (who I do rate) if Rocky was definitely out of contention. Realistically though, I'd be considering one of the many sound Force back rowers to do the job. Hodgo plays 6 about as well as he plays 7 and McCalman could also do the job. In all honesty, I'm hoping like hell that Elsom comes up fit at some stage, because I don't belive we'll win either the 3N or RWC without him.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
As far as blindside goes, after Elsom I don't see a huge amount of quality. I would only consider guys like Saffy or Dennis (who I do rate) if Rocky was definitely out of contention. Realistically though, I'd be considering one of the many sound Force back rowers to do the job. Hodgo plays 6 about as well as he plays 7 and McCalman could also do the job. In all honesty, I'm hoping like hell that Elsom comes up fit at some stage, because I don't belive we'll win either the 3N or RWC without him.

I agree on Dennis, Brown_Hornet. He has exceptional dynamism and has made some of the best runs by any forward in the S15. It buggers me that Hickey continues to use him as a bench option.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If Elsom is crocked I think McCalman would be next in line...

However, if Palu is also crocked (a more realistic possibility) McCalman shifts to no. 8, and I would consider Dennis, Kimlin and Mowan... in no particular order...

T

Tahfan

The problem for the wallabies isn't at 13 it's at 12. JOC (James O'Connor) could be an option but realistically how many games has he played there? 13 maybe a better option for him. 12 is a huge problem for the wallabies with Quade Cooper rightly nailed on at 10 but he is such a weaklink in defence it's unbearable at times.

Backline certs are:
9 - Genia
10 - Cooper
11 - Mitchell (if he can recover in time)
15 - Beale

Now the options:
12 - Barnes, Giteau, JOC (James O'Connor) - None of which particularly make a great case. Carter offers ballast but would need to have some blinding back half to even get into contention. Could see him playing a long term Tim Horan style role.

13 - AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Turner, Mortlock (although WAY too old Deans likes him), JOC (James O'Connor), Horne - It's AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or JOC (James O'Connor) for me. I think 13 could well be JOC (James O'Connor)'s best position given his attacking ability. Could easily be Australia's Brian O'Driscoll. Again the problem for this world cup is his lack of experience there. Horne worries me not for any other reason then his inability to stay fit. If he has not played some significant rugby leading up I wouldn't even take him unless we know he can be replaced if/when he breaks down (not looked up the rules on that..)

14 - Turner, Ioane, JOC (James O'Connor), Shepherd, Morahan, JOC (James O'Connor) - I like either Turner or Ioane. I'd probably pick Digby as there is a question about Lachie's work ethic that I still think Deans needs answered.

No matter the composition some serious work needs to be done with Cooper on his D. the 10-12 channel is going to be attacked ad nauseum until he learns that skill. Still as he probably plans to *&^% off to league he most likely feels he doesn't need to do that work (or is that just me being skeptical lol )

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
The problem for the wallabies isn't at 13 it's at 12. JOC (James O'Connor) could be an option but realistically how many games has he played there? 13 maybe a better option for him. 12 is a huge problem for the wallabies with Quade Cooper rightly nailed on at 10 but he is such a weaklink in defence it's unbearable at times.

Backline certs are:
9 - Genia
10 - Cooper
11 - Mitchell (if he can recover in time)
15 - Beale

Now the options:
12 - Barnes, Giteau, JOC (James O'Connor) - None of which particularly make a great case. Carter offers ballast but would need to have some blinding back half to even get into contention. Could see him playing a long term Tim Horan style role.

13 - AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Turner, Mortlock (although WAY too old Deans likes him), JOC (James O'Connor), Horne - It's AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or JOC (James O'Connor) for me. I think 13 could well be JOC (James O'Connor)'s best position given his attacking ability. Could easily be Australia's Brian O'Driscoll. Again the problem for this world cup is his lack of experience there. Horne worries me not for any other reason then his inability to stay fit. If he has not played some significant rugby leading up I wouldn't even take him unless we know he can be replaced if/when he breaks down (not looked up the rules on that..)

14 - Turner, Ioane, JOC (James O'Connor), Shepherd, Morahan, JOC (James O'Connor) - I like either Turner or Ioane. I'd probably pick Digby as there is a question about Lachie's work ethic that I still think Deans needs answered.

No matter the composition some serious work needs to be done with Cooper on his D. the 10-12 channel is going to be attacked ad nauseum until he learns that skill. Still as he probably plans to *&^% off to league he most likely feels he doesn't need to do that work (or is that just me being skeptical lol )

You lost me with Carter playing a long-term Horan-style role. Do you mean as a commentator?

Otherwise a good post. Sorry about the dissent. >:D

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Not been a big fan of higgers. I still think hodgson would be good but I know we probably need a bigger 6 and with poey at 7 we have a better Hobson like players already on the team.

Go the force!!!!

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Tahfan I would suggest both Gits and JOC (James O'Connor) are making very good cases for 12 at present. 12 is probably the position I feel most confident about in the backline.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I question the notion that 12 is the problem. We have three good candidates there and you could say on form Giteau might be the man right now. Outside centre is the issue and it really gets down to whether AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) can rediscover his mojo and/or Horne actually getting back out on to the paddock to give him a nudge. All the other backline spots I think are well covered now.

T

Tahfan

Tahfan I would suggest both Gits and JOC (James O'Connor) are making very good cases for 12 at present. 12 is probably the position I feel most confident about in the backline.

I don't remember JOC (James O'Connor) playing much at 12 ever as I said (could be wrong though) so hard to see how he is making a case for that pos unless he gets some time there. Gits maybe but his form has been patchy so needs to play well at the backend. I think it will be a straight shootout between Barnes & Gits in the end at 12 though just hope.

Part of the problem for the Wallabies at the moment, weirdly, is the flexibility of their back line. It's leading to numerous players being mentioned in 3 or 4 positions and that does not lead to one key thing that you need going into a world cup a settled and balanced side.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I agree on Dennis, Brown_Hornet. He has exceptional dynamism and has made some of the best runs by any forward in the S15. It buggers me that Hickey continues to use him as a bench option.

I like Dennis more than Mowen. Couldn't understand the Tah fans hype with Mowen early in the season, without talking about Dennis.

I also see Pyle as a possible option for 6, and don't yet discount Higginbotham either.

I don't subscribe to TBH's theory that we can't win 3N or RWC without Elsom. I actually think we would be just as good chance without him - he is at his best in loose games, and RWC semis and finals are never loose. I also think there are a few options that would be better captains, which is extremely important in a big campaign.

Players that we probably can't win the RWC without - Pocock, Genia. Thats it.

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
I like Dennis more than Mowen. Couldn't understand the Tah fans hype with Mowen early in the season, without talking about Dennis.

I also see Pyle as a possible option for 6, and don't yet discount Higginbotham either.

I don't subscribe to TBH's theory that we can't win 3N or RWC without Elsom. I actually think we would be just as good chance without him - he is at his best in loose games, and RWC semis and finals are never loose. I also think there are a few options that would be better captains, which is extremely important in a big campaign.

I would add Cooper to that. There is no other player in the world that poses the threat that he does. Having said that, I rate Genia as the best player in the world at the moment.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

I think we can discount Higginbotham... he's not test material...

Pyle could be another bolter...

Status
Not open for further replies.