• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Outside Centre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) looked like a tank on the rugby club. Meh, give him the job. I have faith that a class player like him will shine through once in Wallaby colours.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
One of the big issues I have with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is that he cannot make dominant tackles. I think that quality is very underrated, especially in the tight WC matches. A lot of our backline players cannot make dominant tackles and I think this really showed during our games last year against the Boks (when they came back in those two matches), Kiwis and England. It completely stops opposition momentum. It's why I'm a huge fan of Horne but I'm pretty resigned to the fact he won't be on the park again this year. Believe it or not but I'm leaning A Fainga'a for 13 or 12 atm just on his defense which is the most important quality our players should be judged on tbh.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
One of the big issues I have with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is that he cannot make dominant tackles. I think that quality is very underrated, especially in the tight WC matches. A lot of our backline players cannot make dominant tackles and I think this really showed during our games last year against the Boks (when they came back in those two matches), Kiwis and England. It completely stops opposition momentum. It's why I'm a huge fan of Horne but I'm pretty resigned to the fact he won't be on the park again this year. Believe it or not but I'm leaning A Fainga'a for 13 or 12 atm just on his defense which is the most important quality our players should be judged on tbh.

I pretty much agree with you,so who is your 10?

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Cue highlight of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) belting Schalk in Brisbane in last years TN.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Seriously? You're worried about our biggest strength that was able to cut up every team last year including the All Blacks at different times?

Some people really just want to be negative.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Seriously? You're worried about our biggest strength that was able to cut up every team last year including the All Blacks at different times?

Some people really just want to be negative.

As I said in another thread, that backline (albeit with Mitchell in it) was good enough to help us knock off the All Blacks last start, the Boks twice, England once (should have been twice damnit), Wales and France last season. That's not too bad.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
When you bear in mind that we meet England in the semi's? who beat us 2/3 last year, then the AB's who beat us 3/4 last year.
That is not a good platform. But we did cut them up a few times in those games didn't we?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Sure did. Those games in the knockout stages will be all about the pack fronting up. If we can win enough ball and defend well, there'll be enough opportunity for the backs to score.

A backline with the firepower of Genia, Cooper, JOC (James O'Connor), Beale and probably Diggers is not too bad surely.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) put in a dominant defensive performance at 12 against the Baa Baas a few years ago.

C

centreman

Maybe. But if you were picking an Australasian team who would you pick from the Wallabies in preference to the Kiwis below.
15 Muliana
14 Rokococko/Jane
13 Smith/Fruen
12 Sonny Bill/ Nonu
11 Ranger/Sivivatu/Gear
10 Carter
9 Wiipu/Mathewson

T

TheTruth

Sure did. Those games in the knockout stages will be all about the pack fronting up. If we can win enough ball and defend well, there'll be enough opportunity for the backs to score.

A backline with the firepower of Genia, Cooper, JOC (James O'Connor), Beale and probably Diggers is not too bad surely.

As long as the players play to their ability EACH game then agree wholeheartedly

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Are you basing that backline on Super form or last year's international form centreman?

Cos I would suggest the current form ANZAC Super Rugby backline is:

15. Toeava
14. Poki or Gear
13. Freuen
12. SBW
11. Mitchell
10. Cooper
9. Genia

But based on late last year's international form it would be:

15. Beale
14. Gear
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Smith
12. SBW
11. Mitchell
10. Carter
9. Genia

T

tranquility

The best ABs backline for me would be,

9. ?
10. Carter
12. SBW
13. Conrad
11. Gear
14. Maitland
15. Ben Smith / Israel Dagg

Our best backline;

9. Genia
10. Quade (no doubt at all)
11. Diggers
12. JOC (James O'Connor)
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Morahan
15. Beale

Although I would not be opposed to be Ant at 13, and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on the Morahan's wing

C

centreman

Are you basing that backline on Super form or last year's international form centreman?

Cos I would suggest the current form ANZAC Super Rugby backline is:

15. Toeava
14. Poki or Gear
13. Freuen
12. SBW
11. Mitchell
10. Cooper
9. Genia

But based on late last year's international form it would be:

15. Beale
14. Gear
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Smith
12. SBW
11. Mitchell
10. Carter
9. Genia

C

centreman

My Australasian backline was picked on current form plus injured players likely to be back World Cup time.
I havn't considered Drew Mitchell and therefore my only Aussie to replace a Kiwi in my backline would be Genia.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
One cannot but help recall Sean Fitzpatrick's remarks before the 2003 RWC semi-final between Oz and the All Blacks. The great seagull, and passable referee, stated that he wouldn't pick any Wallabies in an Anzac team. It was Kiwis hubris. I note that he didn't make a similar selection after the game.

As usual, the listing of the names of players in any team, real or via the imaginings of forum folks, will pale in comparison to their performances as team players, on the day.

C

centreman

One cannot but help recall Sean Fitzpatrick's remarks before the 2003 RWC semi-final between Oz and the All Blacks. The great seagull, and passable referee, stated that he wouldn't pick any Wallabies in an Anzac team. It was Kiwis hubris. I note that he didn't make a similar selection after the game.

As usual, the listing of the names of players in any team, real or via the imaginings of forum folks, will pale in comparison to their performances as team players, on the day.
Well said ,you've given me hope that my World Cup tickets bought recently will not be wasted.

Status
Not open for further replies.