• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Wales, 6 July

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Very true and I am hopeful that this improves dramatically this Saturday. I hope Schmidt sets the longer term plan of a strong forward pack in the tight and the breakdown then we have the backs to compete with most international teams. Our D will also be something I will be watching closely.

Hey, SMI. Mate what has been prickling me is the idea that a game plan of holding possession, no risk to the ball, has to first be inculcated into the pack. It is not a game they have been doing day in day out during the season. If my interpretation of the Reds game plan is right, we knew that the ball would be risked and occasionally lost. You have the change what the guys have been doing for the possession at all costs strategy. Schmidt has had two weeks and I dont think either EJ (Eddie Jones) or Rennie got close with much much more time.

The thinking from posters like FatProp (if I am right) and yourself (?) seems to be this strategy should be all we can manage. But i suspect there may be some un-learning and bugger all time to do it. I am not at all averse to the idea, I'm just surprised by thinking that we head that way because it is easier.

x2 on the bold text!

stillmissit

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Hey, SMI. Mate what has been prickling me is the idea that a game plan of holding possession, no risk to the ball, has to first be inculcated into the pack. It is not a game they have been doing day in day out during the season. If my interpretation of the Reds game plan is right, we knew that the ball would be risked and occasionally lost. You have the change what the guys have been doing for the possession at all costs strategy. Schmidt has had two weeks and I dont think either EJ (Eddie Jones) (Eddie Jones) or Rennie got close with much much more time.

The thinking from posters like FatProp (if I am right) and yourself (?) seems to be this strategy should be all we can manage. But i suspect there may be some un-learning and bugger all time to do it. I am not at all averse to the idea, I'm just surprised by thinking that we head that way because it is easier.

x2 on the bold text!
Interesting Dru and I have just read a quote from Schmidt which may make fattie and I look off the plan by a fair way...

Quote: “We’d obviously like to be able to play with some tempo and I don’t think that will surprise anyone,” Schmidt said last Thursday after the Wallabies’ first few days in camp.

“I think that it’s a way that the players like to play the game and you want players to enjoy playing.”

As well as tempo, it has also become apparent Schmidt has a desire to play high-possession rugby.

Tempo and high-possession rugby are not styles which have worked for recent Wallabies teams.

Inaccuracy at the attacking breakdown typified by poor body-height into contact, poor connection between carriers, cleaners, and sealers as well as poor cleaning technique have seen too many Wallaby attacks go up in smoke as they near the try line.
from RR

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Interesting Dru and I have just read a quote from Schmidt which may make fattie and I look off the plan by a fair way...

Quote: “We’d obviously like to be able to play with some tempo and I don’t think that will surprise anyone,” Schmidt said last Thursday after the Wallabies’ first few days in camp.

“I think that it’s a way that the players like to play the game and you want players to enjoy playing.”

As well as tempo, it has also become apparent Schmidt has a desire to play high-possession rugby.

Tempo and high-possession rugby are not styles which have worked for recent Wallabies teams.

Inaccuracy at the attacking breakdown typified by poor body-height into contact, poor connection between carriers, cleaners, and sealers as well as poor cleaning technique have seen too many Wallaby attacks go up in smoke as they near the try line.
from RR
I do expect there to be some problems/issues in the connection between carriers area when Tom Wright is attacking Filipo Daugunu's side of the park. We all know Tom can throw a wayward pass or two and Filipo can drop the easiest of passes. I hope it doesn't happen but will look out for it.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Body height in contact has been something Salakai-Loto has struggled with historically. Will be interesting if he can get that right.

I’ve always thought he was the lock from the last 5-6 years with the highest ceiling (well - maybe Hockings but his time here as too brief to be considered anything but a promising youngster). Salakai-Loto was quite brilliant at times for the Reds but never really morphed into the player I thought he would. Maybe just unrealistic expectations from me but I’m hoping he’ll kick on now. Dropping his body height into contact would be a great start.

Marce

Peter Sullivan (51)
Very true and I am hopeful that this improves dramatically this Saturday. I hope Schmidt sets the longer term plan of a strong forward pack in the tight and the breakdown then we have the backs to compete with most international teams. Our D will also be something I will be watching closely.
I don't think so. You lack a top international test centre. The only one that could fit that role is Kerevi, at 100% fit, not the 2023 RWC version. Paisami is a good Super Rugby player but not a top international centre

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I don't think so. You lack a top international test centre. The only one that could fit that role is Kerevi, at 100% fit, not the 2023 RWC version. Paisami is a good Super Rugby player but not a top international centre
Not yet, but he has been getting better every year. He has developed into a very good 12 with distribution skills etc, as Kerevi did. There is also young Issac Henry who looks to have great potential. Time to rebuild.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Josh Flook! Really? Average at Super level so will get run over at Test level
Yeah how could we select a young player who has put in multiple seasons of consistent high performance at super rugby level?

The alternative would realistically have been Daugunu at 13. I think he put in some great performances but it would mean Darby on the wing. Personally prefer a more experienced debutant.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah how could we select a young player who has put in multiple seasons of consistent high performance at super rugby level?

The alternative would realistically have been Daugunu at 13. I think he put in some great performances but it would mean Darby on the wing. Personally prefer a more experienced debutant.

I don't mind Daugunu at 13. Really looking forward to Flook taking his shot though. It will be interesting to see how these two shake out at the Reds.

rugbyAU

Colin Windon (37)
Good to see Daungunu play well this year and come back to the wallabies one of the few big name players to go to the rebels and play well

stillmissit

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Body height in contact has been something Salakai-Loto has struggled with historically. Will be interesting if he can get that right.
TSR, the other player with body height issues going into contact is Valetini but he seems to go OK regardless. Personally, I want to see all our forwards hitting contact at a lower height but the only thing that has lowered are my standards, ie let's get the basics right and then you and I can jump up and down about body height.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
TSR, the other player with body height issues going into contact is Valetini but he seems to go OK regardless. Personally, I want to see all our forwards hitting contact at a lower height but the only thing that has lowered are my standards, ie let's get the basics right and then you and I can jump up and down about body height.
Haha - well, I guess that IMO body height into contact is one of those basics but, to me, it’s always been something that’s confused me as to how we get players at international level that don’t have good core skills for their position like body height, lineout throwing, passing both sides etc

But better coaches then me are dealing with these issues and I do see far more awareness of it now than I did.

stillmissit

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Haha - well, I guess that IMO body height into contact is one of those basics but, to me, it’s always been something that’s confused me as to how we get players at international level that don’t have good core skills for their position like body height, lineout throwing, passing both sides etc

But better coaches then me are dealing with these issues and I do see far more awareness of it now than I did.
I'm of the same belief as you, it is unbelievable that these basics of the game are limited, but I am hopeful for the future and try to accept the reality of our current situation. Coaching is king and from that, all else flows. Good coaching needs to start at schools, at many outside of the private schools the job is given to a PE teacher or anybody who puts their hand up.

Reactions: TSR

stillmissit

Peter Fenwicke (45)

Last thought TSR, I would be happy if the guys could pass in front of their support player and give them a chance to catch the bloody thing. Catching it is another thing altogether.

• Haha
Reactions: TSR

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Usually comes down to big kids playing against small kids growing up. They never had to master this skill coming through juniors so it isn't instinctive. I don't know how players at this level haven't developed that basic skill into contact, much the same as accelerating into the contact or using a little footwork to gain and extra couple meters. Boggles my mind TBH.