• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Wales, 6 July

Wallabies

Chris McKivat (8)
I have to agree with TSR, I am a big fan of Valetini, but on many occasions from this past super rugby season, I watched Valetini do half arse run ups. As TSR was saying, body height was a massive issue, and another one i saw from him was slowing down before intial contact and putting body side on as almost to brace for contact. For me, that is mind boggling. A number 8 in rugby should treat every run up the same, fast straight and low. I dont understand how he gets away with it. All the time, slows down, goes side on and pretty much goes no where. Yes, he still does have his awesome runs, but even then, he shouldnt be doing any of those sloppy runs.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
Obviously some supporter bias but I don’t think Flook has played an outright bad game in the last 12 months.

Sure he’s had a few games where his impact wasn’t huge, but there were no outright “wtf are you doing mate” moments. That counts for something and is more important at test level where mistakes are easily converted into opportunities.

Flook could end up being too vanilla but I think his ceiling is close to a Conrad Smith type player and I wouldn’t say he was a huge X factor guy.

Wallabies

Chris McKivat (8)
I think the majority of tickets have sold for game tonight? I could be wrong, but Tickettek has now removed the map option to pick seats, and a few sections have sold out. anyone having any idea on expected crowd?

Marce

John Hipwell (52)
Yeah how could we select a young player who has put in multiple seasons of consistent high performance at super rugby level?

According Wikipedia, Flook is 1.86 cm and 89 kg. I always though he could gain some kilos to stop the monsters who run the channel 2 at international level.

Conrad Smith was 1.86 cm and 95 kg at his prime. So a more heavier player but we can suposse that Flook currenlty weighs 95 kg (I doubt it) but Conrad was one of the best defenders in their generation. So Flook HAS to gain some kilos. International rugby is different than Super Rugby level.

Yoda

Alex Ross (28)
Obviously some supporter bias but I don’t think Flook has played an outright bad game in the last 12 months.

Sure he’s had a few games where his impact wasn’t huge, but there were no outright “wtf are you doing mate” moments. That counts for something and is more important at test level where mistakes are easily converted into opportunities.

Flook could end up being too vanilla but I think his ceiling is close to a Conrad Smith type player and I wouldn’t say he was a huge X factor guy.
Phil. Flook is a great footballer not just an athlete or big guy who hits it up. Not too many guys with a football brain around, but he’s one of them. Hope he kills it. Think young Lynagh is a little green? Had some good games this year but also some that showed he isn’t Test ready imho. Hope he proves me wrong. Think his Dad’s name giving him a leg up but it’s up to him. Donaldson unlucky and had the mad EJ (Eddie Jones) coaching him too. Looking forward to seeing Wright at fullback in Gold again. His dropping from RWC has helped him. If Jake Gordon doesn’t overplay his hand and gives some good ball to Noah to get it wide, we should win comfortably. This depends on forwards getting good clean ball. As always, I live in hope of seeing a great game tonight. On free to air too!

Marce

John Hipwell (52)
A bold call. Conrad was the best defender of his generation, he was the leader of backline defense of ABs back to back World Champions and the 2015 ABs was probably the best national rugby team in professional Era.

Conrad wasn't the biggest, fastest or most agile player but he always took the right choice. Mister perfection. And he was the key link for impact players like Nonu or SBW. Without him those players couldn't have shined

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
I seriously can't believe what I have just read.

People think Rob Valetini, of all of our players, is the one that needs to be called out for his approach to contact?
I understand that reaction - Valetini’s work in contact isn’t in my top 50 issues. But I do think it’s something he can be guilty of - and I believe there was plenty of commentary last year that people thought he wasn’t as effective. I do think it’s a bigger issue for Lukhan.

It’s possible both things are true - he’s our best player and he still has work ons in his game. It’s not like anyone said he was shit.

Last edited:

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
A bold call. Conrad was the best defender of his generation, he was the leader of backline defense of ABs back to back World Champions and the 2015 ABs was probably the best national rugby team in professional Era.

Conrad wasn't the biggest, fastest or most agile player but he always took the right choice. Mister perfection. And he was the key link for impact players like Nonu or SBW. Without him those players couldn't have shined
It’s possible to compare two players and not say they are the same.

Tomthumb

Desmond Connor (43)
I seriously can't believe what I have just read.

People think Rob Valetini, of all of our players, is the one that needs to be called out for his approach to contact?
Yes. He’s a good player but last year especially he was guilty of running too high and directly into shoulders with no late footwork. He looked a bit better this super season but for all his athletic gifts, he should be breaking more tackles

no one in this squad is above critique’s

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I understand that reaction - Valetini’s work in contact isn’t in my top 50 issues. But I do think it’s something he can be guilty of - and I believe there was plenty of commentary last year that people thought he wasn’t as effective. I do think it’s a bigger issue for Lukhan.

It’s possible both things are true - he’s our best player and he still has work ons in his game. It’s not like anyone said he was shit.
TSR normally I put a lot of store in your posts and opinions, but just on RV last year, he did actually win the John Eales Medal last year.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)

He wasn't as effective last year because he was used predictably and targeted by the defence. Every run he made was from the exact same areas of the park and was always hitting three well set defenders.

It was a game plan issue IMO. Valetini is our best post-contact player by some margin.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
TSR normally I put a lot of store in your posts and opinions, but just on RV last year, he did actually win the John Eales Medal last year.
Yeah - I know. And it wasn’t me who was critical of him last year. I actually think I defended him a few times. But my recollection was that other people were. If I’m wrong - so be it.

As I said, I get why it seems an odd point to be raised given the multitude of other issues but if you look at the post Stillmissit made he was responding to a post of mine where I talked about Salakaia-Loto’s body height and simply said he though Valetini also had an issue in this area. I don’t think anything was said to suggest he doesn’t deserve his current standing in the pecking order.

If it makes everyone feel better I’m happy to state for the record I think Valetini was likely the most certain of selection in the current squad and a worthy John Eales medalist.

Edit: and yet I still think his height into contact could be improved at times just to be 100% clear in where I stand

Last edited:

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
Anyway - rather than talk re specific players I found it interesting this week watching a rugby league coaching video where they were actively discouraging a player from dropping his height at contact and to stay tall. The rationale being it kept there head out of harms way and also helped maintain agility at the contact line (obviously the tackle strategy they are dealing with is different too). Almost the complete opposite approach. Given so many of our players play both it does seem to me that things like this probably create a lot of issues.

For all the similarities in the two games a lot of the detail at top level is quite different.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
PS if Valetini spends tonight smashing Welshmen like skittles happy to take all the scorn and ridicule tomorrow

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
PS if Valetini spends tonight smashing Welshmen like skittles happy to take all the scorn and ridicule tomorrow
I think Rob will go ok, but I'd really like to see TT step up and be more physical with ball in hand. And on more than 3 or 4 occasions as seemed to be his limit of attacking activity at the Rebels this year.