• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Wales, 6 July

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Interesting analysis from the "X"

View attachment 19824

"The plan looks to be to maintain possession and grind." -> The Ireland game plan then?

My interpretation of the Reds game plan has been looking for opportunity where it arises and offloads in the pack have been a feature. It will be interesting to see how Wright and McReight work the change with minimal training time in the lead up. Likewise, actually for Faessler.

The other thing to note is Schmidt says he rates the Gordon kicking. Which doesn't seem 100% "bump and grind".

For what it's worth Daugunu and Paisami will be comfortable with holding the ball and taking on (or stepping) the D but holding the ball. It is not however where I would put the strengths of Flook and T Wright. Kellaway maybe.

I'm not sure the selections scream obviously of long continuous ball with minimal risk. This first game is a chess match on a lot of levels, trying to grasp where Schmidt wants the game plan to head will be interesting, for sure.

Edit/Add: reading the Harry Jones piece on Roar there is a suggestion that Schmidt takes a) players that suit his plan but also b) players of talent that are squeezed into what he is looking for. Let's hope the that any "cognitive dissonance" is minimised.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Yeah I was pretty surprised to see his name on the QPR list given the reasoning
Club land is a fair bit down in intensity on Super rugby. I'd say it's to keep him fit without burning him out, he'll probably get a run next week. 2nd row was the one area in the presser where Schmidt specifically identified we will see various combinations tried out.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
There are possibly statistic that disprove my opinion but I think LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is better as a big body, shifting other big bodies around the park, rather than making an impact with his running game.

I feel he has always been put forward as a main ball runner, but honestly he hasn't excelled in that role and I think some of the better seasons he had, he actually worked well being a bit more mobile around the park and doing ruck work.

Homer

Fred Wood (13)
Still looks to be plenty of tickets available which is a shame. The only section sold out is the travelling Welsh section.
If we cant get 30k at least it is a sorry sign of the times.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
I feel he has always been put forward as a main ball runner, but honestly he hasn't excelled in that role and I think some of the better seasons he had, he actually worked well being a bit more mobile around the park and doing ruck work.
There's a couple of ways to look at impact.

Impact could be, bending the line and getting across the advantage line (ala Bobby V, Hunter and Tupou), or impact could be drawing in multiple defensive players i.e. two - three to make a tackle creating space out wide.

We've seen over the last couple of years defensive teams only committing what they need to a tackle and ruck so they have bodies in the defensive line. That obviously makes it harder for the attacking team. So if you can draw more players in, it gives you the opportunity to find space.

But, that relies heavily on having quick clear outs and rucks. Something the Wallabies have been terrible at.

Reactions: dru

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
"The plan looks to be to maintain possession and grind." -> The Ireland game plan then?
Realistically we don't have the talent for much else
My interpretation of the Reds game plan has been looking for opportunity where it arises and offloads in the pack have been a feature. It will be interesting to see how Wright and McReight work the change with minimal training time in the lead up. Likewise, actually for Faessler.
I think there will be limits on free flowing offloads while he builds a base structure

The other thing to note is Schmidt says he rates the Gordon kicking. Which doesn't seem 100% "bump and grind".
His kick is good, but his pressure and support play is his strengths, opposing kickers will have him in their face and lazy defensive pillars will be under pressure, he poaches a lot of tries

stillmissit

Peter Fenwicke (45)

For what it's worth Daugunu and Paisami will be comfortable with holding the ball and taking on (or stepping) the D but holding the ball. It is not however where I would put the strengths of Flook and T Wright. Kellaway maybe.

I'm not sure the selections scream obviously of long continuous ball with minimal risk. This first game is a chess match on a lot of levels, trying to grasp where Schmidt wants the game plan to head will be interesting, for sure.

Edit/Add: reading the Harry Jones piece on Roar there is a suggestion that Schmidt takes a) players that suit his plan but also b) players of talent that are squeezed into what he is looking for. Let's hope the that any "cognitive dissonance" is minimised.
Dru, I suspect that he has given the guys a simple game plan and keeping it tight and recycling rather than playing it wide too soon and then letting the pretty fast bench play it wider if it look like Wales are falling off a bit. Putting more forwards into the breakdown and not having to rely on risky off loads that have plagued us for years strikes me as a sensible approach to the first game. With all the rain we've had - I suggest this is the only plan that makes any sense.

stillmissit

Peter Fenwicke (45)
But, that relies heavily on having quick clear outs and rucks. Something the Wallabies have been terrible at.
Very true and I am hopeful that this improves dramatically this Saturday. I hope Schmidt sets the longer term plan of a strong forward pack in the tight and the breakdown then we have the backs to compete with most international teams. Our D will also be something I will be watching closely.

Tomthumb

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Don't disagree - but still seems odd to me, and could have probably been reasoned better. Smith is a 100% effort player and that's where the skill shines. If he plays within himself so to not 'cook' himself too much - he probably doesn't stand out. Damned if he does/ doesn't.

I appreciate this is likely the case of Schmidt keeping them close to his chest, and there is probably much more going on behind the scenes we're not privy too with players coming in and out of the squad or team calculations as suggested. Hopefully gets a go in either of the next 2 tests.
It's not really odd. Schmidt got him into camp and realized he was knackered and needed a rest more than anything

He wasn't dropped for putting in too much effort, he just needs a rest to be able to put his best foot forward in test rugby. He will get his shot

stillmissit

Peter Fenwicke (45)
It's not really odd. Schmidt got him into camp and realized he was knackered and needed a rest more than anything

He wasn't dropped for putting in too much effort, he just needs a rest to be able to put his best foot forward in test rugby. He will get his shot
A week off is almost magic in terms of effort you can put into future games but it is not something you can do much of as it can quickly turn into laziness.

HowRYa?

Frank Row (1)
I'm backing Jake Gordon and Noah Lolesio, to show some big time tikka. They have got they nod from Joe, and they'll know, especially J.G., that there is clear replacements for them, if they don't perform. As for Noah, his recall was expected, but there is another player that is the obvious replacement, Tom Lynagh. I do think it is important for Jake to establish the kicking game early, and kick deep to make sure that Noah and the rest of the back have more room on the outside to go to work (I am thinking this maybe why Kellaway has been moved back to the Wing). But I do think the Wallabies will get up tomorrow, with too much power in the forwards, we will have more possession and therefore more opportunity to score.

Yours Dearest,
HowRYa?

Yoda

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I'm backing Jake Gordon and Noah Lolesio, to show some big time tikka. They have got they nod from Joe, and they'll know, especially J.G., that there is clear replacements for them, if they don't perform. As for Noah, his recall was expected, but there is another player that is the obvious replacement, Tom Lynagh. I do think it is important for Jake to establish the kicking game early, and kick deep to make sure that Noah and the rest of the back have more room on the outside to go to work (I am thinking this maybe why Kellaway has been moved back to the Wing). But I do think the Wallabies will get up tomorrow, with too much power in the forwards, we will have more possession and therefore more opportunity to score.

Yours Dearest,
HowRYa?
They will definitely get up. The bookies are not in the business of losing money and do their homework.
Australia 1.17 Wales paying 5.60. Totally different sides to the World Cup so the last result in France means nothing. If Wales do upset Australia, which I don’t think will happen, then Joe definitely will earn his pay moving forward!

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Joe's comment about Liam Wright sometimes calling lineouts at the Reds got me thinking. Who in this team has been the primary lineout caller for their Super Rugby side this year, or at any time? I am presuming that one of the locks, probably Blyth, called the lineouts for the Reds though it might have been shared with Wright, while I expect Rodda and Frost were probably the main callers at the Force and Brumbies. Was LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) a caller at the Rebels? Which leads me to wonder who will have the job this weekend and is there any chance it will all go to shit?

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Joe's comment about Liam Wright sometimes calling lineouts at the Reds got me thinking. Who in this team has been the primary lineout caller for their Super Rugby side this year, or at any time? I am presuming that one of the locks, probably Blyth, called the lineouts for the Reds though it might have been shared with Wright, while I expect Rodda and Frost were probably the main callers at the Force and Brumbies. Was LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) a caller at the Rebels? Which leads me to wonder who will have the job this weekend and is there any chance it will all go to shit?
Given the amount Rodda played (or more importantly didn't play) I'd expect it was Williams doing plenty of calling at the Force. I imagine the call is probably between Williams and Wright for this game. Might depend on who Schmidt wants to play for 80, but he could also be looking to share some of the responsibility around rather than lumping it all with Wright.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Joe's comment about Liam Wright sometimes calling lineouts at the Reds got me thinking. Who in this team has been the primary lineout caller for their Super Rugby side this year, or at any time? I am presuming that one of the locks, probably Blyth, called the lineouts for the Reds though it might have been shared with Wright, while I expect Rodda and Frost were probably the main callers at the Force and Brumbies. Was LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) a caller at the Rebels? Which leads me to wonder who will have the job this weekend and is there any chance it will all go to shit?
My understanding is the main lineout callers at each of the teams this year were (long termers) Wright, Holloway and Frost (and Swain), with Canham and Ekuasi sharing at the Rebels, and Jeremy Williams stepping up at the Force when Rodda was out.

So a few options there, but it can always fall apart with a new team