• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Wales, 6 July

Linerunner2023

Alfred Walker (16)
Well done to the debutants this week
7 new faces is a lot but with many injured and overseas players not selected can see this occurring
Not many would have predicted Kailea at the start of the year. And maybe Blyth a little Lucky but overall exciting to see how it goes
Tbh wales look a shadow of the team they have had in the past - with plenty retired, injured or left international rugby recently

Let’s hope it’s not a tier 2 quality game but tbh wallabies just need wins atm
Will be hard to tell if the wallabies will be any match for ABs or SA after these even if they win

Cauliflower Ear

Frank Nicholson (4)
I just bought my tickets for a discounted price of $30, you beauty! I can't wait to see this next gen of players, underneath a coach that I actually have a smidge of respect for.
Love the team:
- A full clean-out and turnover of hungry players
- A hardworking character as captain of the wallabies
- A bench that can/will make an impact

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Can't the starting THP return to the field if the bench THP is injured? That scenario is a problem whoever starts.
Yeah but Dru, if Alan starts and gets injured after 20 minutes, Taniela has to play 60 minutes.

Whereas, if Taniela starts, gets subbed at 30, Alan is capable of play 50 minutes (or like you said Taniela can come back on).

It's "less" of a risk to start Taniela than it is to have him on the bench if he can't play 50+ minutes yet.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah but Dru, if Alan starts and gets injured after 20 minutes, Taniela has to play 60 minutes.

Whereas, if Taniela starts, gets subbed at 30, Alan is capable of play 50 minutes (or like you said Taniela can come back on).

It's "less" of a risk to start Taniela than it is to have him on the bench if he can't play 50+ minutes yet.

Yes it's what I was trying to say. Ideally though, I'd want both to realistically be capable of lasting 60 mins.

Last edited:

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)

And we can test their scrum early

Filipo Daugunu

Allen Oxlade (6)
Wales tighthead stocks are extremely thin. The starting prop is a 22 year old with 1 cap to his name, who is the third pick tighthead for Bath in the English Prem, and the reserve tighthead has got 3 caps. Injuries and unavailability has wales lacking quality, thomas francis, keiron assiratti, henry thomas, and dillon lewis are all out. Tupou has been picked to hopefully destroy the welsh scrum in the first 30 minutes of the game. I anticipate (despite our own front-row worries) that the Wallabies will have a dominant scrum for most of the match.

JRugby2

Chris McKivat (8)
On why Ryan Smith missed out … and Angus Blythe didn’t

Reds locks Smith was released early after the opening days of camp while his teammate Angus Blythe has won a spot on the bench.

“Some of them are a bit fresher than others. Some had big Super Rugby campaigns,” Schmidt said.

“Ryan Smith was super in camp but he played so many minutes. And he has so many match involvements when he plays. Everyone’s minutes don’t look the same.

“He just gets involved in so much play. So that was part of the balance in trying to have a really keen, fresh group. But a balance of experience and I suppose a balance of what we saw potential in. Hopefully that potential becomes the performance that we need.”

Odd reasoning if I'm honest. Infers Ryan played himself out of a position by going too hard, and playing too well...?

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Odd reasoning if I'm honest. Infers Ryan played himself out of a position by going too hard, and playing too well...?
I think it probably speaks to how changeable the side is at the moment with Schmidt keen to try players out, particularly around the locks. I thought Smith was pretty flat against the Chiefs, so I can understand them looking to give him a couple of weeks off and maybe bringing him in later. Not ideal for him though, you never want to give someone else a chance ahead of you.

LeCheese

Jim Lenehan (48)
Smith played every game this season and averaged 71 minutes. If a player is seen to be cooked from a season of high workload, then they're probably not going to be able to perform at their best. I don't hate it tbh, and hopefully it means we'll see him get a run further into the season.

JRugby2

Chris McKivat (8)
Don't disagree - but still seems odd to me, and could have probably been reasoned better. Smith is a 100% effort player and that's where the skill shines. If he plays within himself so to not 'cook' himself too much - he probably doesn't stand out. Damned if he does/ doesn't.

I appreciate this is likely the case of Schmidt keeping them close to his chest, and there is probably much more going on behind the scenes we're not privy too with players coming in and out of the squad or team calculations as suggested. Hopefully gets a go in either of the next 2 tests.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
So you keep saying, Tomikin. I look forward to Wright fullfilling your expectations. He is one of the more experienced Wallabies on the field so holds quite a leadership role.

In the mean time It is good to have Kellaway available should something unexpected happen.
I've always thought Wright was better on the wing at test level than he was at fullback, and vice versa for Kellaway.

Be interested to see how they both go under JS in those roles

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Player management, and resting players for the first test of the season.

That's going to drive some posters here up the wall

I feel like I'm in an insane asylum.

A player gets 4 weeks of rest and camp and then is deemed that he needs more rest, so they send him back to clubland this weekend?

Either Schimdt is starting off his Wobs coaching career by lying about the reason a player is left out, or if that reason is legitimate it's mind bottling.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Smith played every game this season and averaged 71 minutes. If a player is seen to be cooked from a season of high workload, then they're probably not going to be able to perform at their best. I don't hate it tbh, and hopefully it means we'll see him get a run further into the season.

I imagine he's going to play big minutes for Brothers this weekend though. QPR isn't a test match obviously but if the reason is a bloke needs more rest, give him more rest. The whole thing reads very strange.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Interesting analysis from the "X"

1720136369686.png

LeCheese

Jim Lenehan (48)
I imagine he's going to play big minutes for Brothers this weekend though. QPR isn't a test match obviously but if the reason is a bloke needs more rest, give him more rest. The whole thing reads very strange.
Yeah I was pretty surprised to see his name on the QPR list given the reasoning