• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Wales, 6 July

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Lol wasn't even talking about you it, was the suggestion that, that Kellaway should be fullback, that Lynagh"s pass had anything to do with the try, and some one saying he only got the gap because Kellaway run an unders. There's a million replays out there it was 99 percent all him.

Wilson

Phil Kearns (64)
Yes all the posts about Tom Lynagh's try assist were 100% serious and in no way tongue in cheek :rolleyes:

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Usual story a couple of days after the game. Who is charged with starting the 3-2-1 POTY thread though?

Last edited:

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I didn't take any of them seriously, I mean it is patently ridiculous that anyone would seriously claim that. If it looks like a pisstake or troll, why not just ignore it?

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
My actual post was that it's ridiculous people are claiming Wright should be moved from fullback. anyway moving on :) great win

Joe Blow

John Hipwell (52)
Is he not allowed to improve? Like Gordon has for instance?
He reminds a lot of Chris Latham. He has crazy skills but sometimes has taken poor decisions early in his career. He is getting on top of it, as Latho did, and now he hopefully becomes that level of fullback.

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Bit late for my take on the game I know, but went down and watched it and had some other jobs in Sydney so didn't get a chance earlier.
Overall a much improved performance by the Wallabies, working off the base of a very strong set piece. We looked very good for a while, but then fell into the old Wallaby habit of dumb penalties and silly mistakes to let the Welsh back into the game. I thought we were a better side then the score indicated, but we just keep inviting the opposition back into the game.

I thought the front row were outstanding, all three were very impressive, locks were solid (I've seen a fair bit of criticism of LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) but I thought he was okay), L Wright had a solid game, McReight was a bit quiet, but Bobby V was outstanding. A few years ago I thought he had talent but needed to be involved more often, but now he's a machine, would be my first Wallaby selection for every test.

Despite being a Tahs supporter I wouldn't have had Gordon anywhere near the squad, however was happily surprised by a very strong game from him. He didn't try to overplay his hand like he does for the Tahs. I thought Noah had a bit of an off night, too many errors and didn't seem to be able to get his backline working, although to be fair he hasn't had much time with them. The centres were both sound, although I didn't think they posed any real attacking threat. The back three were very good, Kellaway as professional as ever, Daugunu was strong (although he needs his kicking license revoked) and Tom Wright was outstanding.

Of the bench, 7As (Allan Ala'alatoa) was solid, Kaliea powerful and Lynagh looked up to it. I thought Tate was a bit untidy. I would have liked to see Cale and Pietsch get a bit more time.

In summary, how good to get a win, and how much better was this than last year's debacle.

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Just a couple of specific comments, one involving the Wallabies penchant for dumb penalties. I don't mean to be overly critical of Liam Wright, I thought he played well, but I use him as an example as this happened right in front of me. I was sitting directly in front of a Welsh lineout, and Wright grabbed the Welsh jumper's arm, and it was so deliberate and so obvious right in front of the touch judge and the ref, we were penalised of course, and I was just a bit dumbstruck as to a professional, top level footballer doing something so dumb and obvious. As I say, I don't want to pick on Wright who had a very good game, but it just was an example of the stupid penalties the Wallabies seem to constantly give away.

My second comment is that two players, Jake Gordon and Kailea, when they were selected we all (including me) just said WTF!!, both had really strong games. Could it be possible (I know this is sacrilegious) that Schmidt could know more about rugby than we posters on GAGR????

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
imagine trying to put the blame for a loss on a singular player. christ i hope youre not a coach
I know, no individual is responsible for anything anymore but more to the point, you have assumed that I am blaming one person, you have dreamt this up based - very very loosely on my post...

Maulalltheway

Tom Lawton (22)
you arent the centre of the universe pal. you jumped in on a comment where i commented on a post saying tom wright will lose more games than he wins. its not all about you

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Well, what a breath of fresh air that was. And wasn't it refreshing not to have a batshit crazy lunatic of a coach carry on like a clown after another loss. What a lot of petty critics on this thread have overlooked is that the Wallabies (and the ABs) haven't played since last year's World Cup while Wales, England and Ireland have had a full round of Six Nations fixtures since. That's five, or six, tests each against zero (one for the Bokke, against Ireland plus Japan v England). The SH crew did very well over the weekend with only the weakest SH team losing to, possibly, the strongest 6N side.

After only a coupla training sessions together the Wallabies were, understandably, a bit clunky. Have Gordon and Lolesio previously played together? Dunno. The 13 forwards in the team were probably as good as we currently have playing in Super Rugby while the backs have some sorting out to do in the centres. Add Ikitau and the outside backs look to have those spots covered with some depth. I'd dearly like to see Lancaster and Pietsch get a goodish amount of time on the paddock for the Georgia test.

The big positives for me were the effort put in by Tupou (all right, only for a half, but destroying the Welsh scrum stopped any momentum they hoped to start with) and the performances by the debutants. Kailea, Cale and Lynagh deserve special mentions.