• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Wales, 6 July

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I applaud the Brumbies for their ongoing commitment to fielding a fullback who is maybe just good enough for the Wallaby 15 jersey, but maybe not.

Tom Wright is merely a custodian of those who came before him - Tom Banks, Jesse Mogg, Mark Gerrard, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Andrew Walker, Stephen Larkham.

He should be respected by the forum for carrying on this rich history.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
I would argue that a lot of other players have made greater errors in most situations where a fullback is required to make a last ditch covering tackle.
True but there is the FB as the only guy to clean up the mess and it ain't easy. All players are equal but some are more equal than others.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think in the past, the tactic/strategy? has been just to aimlessly box kick it, and it's so well telegraphed, and there are no chasers that it ends up being pointless.

I didn't think it was that aimless when I watched the game - it appears that a little more thought has gone into when and how to box kick. I'm sure I saw one time, where there was actually a setup for a box kick, then Gordon passed it, caught the Welsh a little unawares. I could be wrong though. (Makes for a good story though)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I think in the past, the tactic/strategy? has been just to aimlessly box kick it, and it's so well telegraphed, and there are no chasers that it ends up being pointless.
It's interesting, regarding box kicks. I don't love them, but I get the utility of them, as stated above by others. Talking to a mate who grew up living and breathing rugby but now watches sparingly and is far more invested in NRL and even the Swans, he hates them. "Unwatchable" was a descriptor. So telegraphed, repetitive... Same thing for the phase play - boring.
He prefers the unpredictable magic of 5 hit-ups and a kick...
It does show how rugby has changed over 30 years of professionalism, but hard to get that genie back in the bottle.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
I reckon it's the slow robotic nature of the whole process, that the opposition can't do anything about, or stop.

Plus the blatant illegal stuff that never ever gets stopped. The offisde halfback playing the ball back with his hands through the caterpillar, while two blatantly offside blockers prevent any defence from getting through on the kicker, all in slow motion

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
The caterpillar is a blight on the game. The fact that so many teams get away with keeping it there, or adding to it even after the ref has called "use it" shows WR (World Rugby) isn't really that interested in getting rid of it.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The time applied after the "use it" call did seem longer over the weekend...

I feel like we're going to go through the same cyclical nature of players getting used to having all the time in the world, and then getting pinged for not using it at a critical time in an important game by a SH based referee... or in round one of SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) next year when it gets cracked down on, again.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
OK, an attacking side has the ball just outside the 22

What other "safe" options are there other than a box kick?

Truck it up and you are likely to end up turning it over

You aren't going to run a backline move from there, at best you send it wide for the 13 to kick it towards the other edge

Kick shit out of it and play forces back?

At least the box kick puts the ball in front of the pigs and the chance of the chase contesting it

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I get that - happy with it being used appropriately. Can't stand when it's done nearly all the time, and aimless.

Gordon was really on point with his box kicks this weekend - which is an improvement on past performance.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Of course they are a great safe option at the moment that would be a lot less safe if refs/WR (World Rugby) actually enforced existing laws of the game

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Jake Gordon is very slow at clearing the ball.
I was a backrower and the faster the halfback could clear the ball the better, but I’ll admit to not being a great reader as what is fast and what is slow when it comes to watching live. However what was obvious to me was that Gordon’s clearance was lighting compared to his Welsh counterpart, and faster than Tate.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
I think they should change the rule to 3 seconds from when the ref says use it (which is normally 4-5 seconds at least anyway) and the actually enforce it. Box kicks would still be a useful tactic but would be harder to execute properly and wouldn’t bring the whole game to a stop as much.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I mean it's the go to clearance strategy for every international team as it's clearly the best option to exit your own territory, so you better get used to it being used all the time.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
Shit execution is always a problem, but it is multi factorial ie a good kick, a good chase, a good clean out, some idea what to do next etc etc
OK fattie so you think it is impossible or tough to go back to what we had ie catch the ball, set up a maul, hand the ball to someone to kick it into touch or upfield. This manoeuvre strikes me as a waste of time and a method to kill any attacking high ball it also slows the oppostion down, I think too much.

dru

David Wilson (68)
Bet half you hated the grin the arrogant bastard had after he broke the line..

You are really being way to sensitive. What I actually said was that grin was a game highlight. Last time I checked the english language there was a less than subtle difference between lowlight and highlight.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I think the counter-point to this is that it's the only safe, reliable way to exit. Having at least one method of exiting reliably seems pretty important if you don't want the sport to end up being tit for tat like basketball.