• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Wales, 6 July

stillmissit

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Schmidt's Wallaby trials start now. I reckon we will see quite different teams for the three tests in July, and we won't be able to read much into selections.

Really happy for Liam Wright, but fair old chance this is not a long term appointment
Agree with this Strewth, there is too much competition for the 6 spot at the moment. Liam will be going strongly to hold off the enemy is my guess and that's a good thing.
Noticed there is no VC, assume that means he will go all game or is there a VC but not announced? Tate?

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I like it. As expected (at least by myself and TomThumb), Nella starting to shore up the scrum and take the sting out of them and then AAA to bring it home. I actually won’t be surprised if Alan plays the more minutes.

We shouldn’t read too much into any selections I don’t think, some of the guys that missed out this week will get their opportunity next week, and/or the week after.

Wallabies by 17.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Agree with this Strewth, there is too much competition for the 6 spot at the moment. Liam will be going strongly to hold off the enemy is my guess and that's a good thing.
Noticed there is no VC, assume that means he will go all game or is there a VC but not announced? Tate?
Unlike any of the other "6's", none of them are capable of playing 7.

Outside of Fraser, is there even a back up "7" there?

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Unlike any of the other "6's", none of them are capable of playing 7.

Outside of Fraser, is there even a back up "7" there?
Depends if you think EJ (Eddie Jones) is crazy or not

1720061391411.png

rugbyAU

Colin Windon (37)
I still have concerns Lynagh is being thrown in a bit early - but happy to back Schmidt’s experience.

Otherwise looking forward to seeing how they go. It would be nice to have a 23 full of experienced World XV players but we haven’t had that for some time. Looking forward to the second coming of guys like Salakia-Loto, Wright, Daugunu, Lolesio and even Tom Wright after his fall from grace last year.

Looks like a team to me where Schmidt is willing to risk early pain to build the sort of long term game style that he thinks will be successful. I feel like the journey will be a bit rocky early on but is the best approach in the longer term.
Given Carter is gone until at least 2027 we probably just need to take the opportunity in an easier game to blood a new ten

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I don't see a lot of individual attacking threats in this side and not many "club" combinations to leverage "cohesion"

It will be interesting to see how connected/trusting of each other they are in defence and attack

Reds Rick

Allen Oxlade (6)
I don't see a lot of individual attacking threats in this side and not many "club" combinations to leverage "cohesion"

It will be interesting to see how connected/trusting of each other they are in defence and attack
Not a heap of club combinations but I’d argue there are a few important ones:
Lolesio and T Wright on attack
Paisami and Flook in the centres
Faessler and L Wright as line out thrower & caller
L Wright and McReight back row

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I imagine that it will be a simple game plan. Grind them down and then open up late in the game through the likes of Wright, Paisami, Cale, McReight and Pietsch. Not sure what Wales are bringing to the table but they looked decent occasionally against SA.