• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Wales, 6 July

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
If Gordon is really starting I think we will have him running the pigs off the edge of the ruck & being a sniping/kick chase pest around the edges while our 10 sits in the pocket out the back looking for options to bring in a second forward pod or go wider

But I can't imaging a world where we are going wide that much, more likely going around the corners & keeping it tight until clear overlaps appear

stillmissit

Peter Fenwicke (45)
If Gordon is really starting I think we will have him running the pigs off the edge of the ruck & being a sniping/kick chase pest around the edges while our 10 sits in the pocket out the back looking for options to bring in a second forward pod or go wider

But I can't imaging a world where we are going wide that much, more likely going around the corners & keeping it tight until clear overlaps appear
Two issues fattie, "forward pod" it has been years since we ran in pods, "Keeping it tight and looking for options" will be something new.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Because they're only required to name the team 48 hours before the game and it's considered that you're giving away a potential competitive advantage by naming your team further out than your opposition.

Right.

So every other competition around the world and here in Australia that names teams 4 days out from the game are doing it wrong?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Right.

So every other competition around the world and here in Australia that names teams 4 days out from the game are doing it wrong?

I'm not saying they're doing it wrong. Rugby has a rule that teams need to be named at least 48 hours from kick off. Most teams are named on Thursdays for a Saturday game.

The Springboks are something of an exception naming their team a couple of days earlier.

Other sports are different. Depending on the competition, soccer starting XIs only need to be named 75 minutes before kick-off. NFL name their gameday rosters (or more accurately the inactive players from their team) several hours before the match.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Two issues fattie, "forward pod" it has been years since we ran in pods, "Keeping it tight and looking for options" will be something new.
We have been running two pods for years, our new "bits" have been adding endless no look passes with the hope of finding that soft shoulder.

When they can catch the ball it can work, but usually it leaves the ball carrier wondering where his inside cleanout went, which leads to desperation cleanouts, which leads to slower ball and less numbers at the next ruck and it being turned over or dumb kicks

dru

Tim Horan (67)
We have been running two pods for years, our new "bits" have been adding endless no look passes with the hope of finding that soft shoulder.

When they can catch the ball it can work, but usually it leaves the ball carrier wondering where his inside cleanout went, which leads to desperation cleanouts, which leads to slower ball and less numbers at the next ruck and it being turned over or dumb kicks

Ireland used to run against the usual policy of hoofing the ball if something doesn't happen. They'd hold crazy long possession and trust themselves to retain the ball. I can't recall if that was under Schmidt but I presume so. If we are trying something in that order we are surely presuming a level ball retention skills in the pack that might not have solid credentials.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Any Sydney siders have any insight as to how ticket sales are going/any word on what kind of crowd we might see?
Was looking at ticketek and it seems the bottom level is full. Couple of singles around.

One of the high sides is available for purchase and the other greyed out and I find it hard to believe it is sold out and may only open once demand requires it.

stillmissit

Peter Fenwicke (45)

Agree, should have said 3 person pods but we still get a forward runner going on their own too often. The difference is important as you point out it also gives a running pod inside and outside options for a short pass or take the tackle knowing the two runners will block the ruck securing the ball. The idea that protecting our ball is less important than the D is an old piece of EJ (Eddie Jones) nonsense.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)

The pod based attack is such a club approach. You see it in the school boys as it is meant to retain possession and give you an out the back option but relies on the forwards having ball skills. Effective enough to maintain possession and eventually break the line in lower levels but not going to break a top defence down in Tests. defence knows where you are going if they have a half decent 9.

stillmissit

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Ireland used to run against the usual policy of hoofing the ball if something doesn't happen. They'd hold crazy long possession and trust themselves to retain the ball. I can't recall if that was under Schmidt but I presume so. If we are trying something in that order we are surely presuming a level ball retention skills in the pack that might not have solid credentials.
Could be, but if we run the 3 person pods as Fattie and I are talking about the retention rate should rise. Having said that nothing is a given with the Wallabies of recent years.

Reactions: dru

stillmissit

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The pod based attack is such a club approach. You see it in the school boys as it is meant to retain possession and give you an out the back option but relies on the forwards having ball skills. Effective enough to maintain possession and eventually break the line in lower levels but not going to break a top defence down in Tests. defence knows where you are going if they have a half decent 9.
Ghost, if you watch Ireland, SA, France and even England they mostly look for a 3 person pod, I have noticed it's re-emerging as the risk of TO at the ruck is increasing due to better attacks at the BD and Kiwi style counter rucking.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Members on the 2nd level? Tbh I'm not familiar with the set up out there so thanks for letting me know.

Hopefully a big crowd as it does get a good buzz in there even when half full.

You can still buy 10 Gold standard tickets in a row if you want. Supporter bays exhausted though.