• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Wales, 6 July

dru

Tim Horan (67)
You’d hope so anything less than that would be disappointing

Clearly I have unrealistic views. The Reds were getting that size a crowd back in 2011/12 in Super games. We continue to be told that the Wallabies earn the cash to fund Super. How the heck does that work with 35k home crowds?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Clearly I have unrealistic views. The Reds were getting that size a crowd back in 2011/12 in Super games. We continue to be told that the Wallabies earn the cash to fund Super. How the heck does that work with 35k home crowds?

Because people pay 3x or more per ticket to go to a test match than a Super Rugby game.

35k should hopefully be conservative. Below 40k would certainly be a bit disappointing and would be down on previous attendances for similar tours. We're obviously at a pretty low point in terms of Rugby in Australia though.

This equivalent fixture had just under 43k in 2012.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
1720058539611.png

Overtime

Herbert Moran (7)
I'm not sure if Wilson, who isn't guaranteed of selection, and currently not in the squad, would be a better captain, than the captain of his SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) (Super Rugby Pacific) team...
Sorry, badly worded not saying Wilson should be captain. I just think he should be in the team with Valetini at 6 in place of Wright. Maybe Slipper captain.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
So the early reports are pretty much on the button. I didn't want to comment until now.

It often seems I am on my own, but I quite like Jake Gordon, all the same - wow. Tupou given plenty of room, did not expect him to start. Big welcome and best wishes to Williams, Flook, Kailea, Blyth, Cale, Lynagh, Pietsch.

Very keen to see how Liam takes this massive opportunity.

Last edited:

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I still have concerns Lynagh is being thrown in a bit early - but happy to back Schmidt’s experience.

Otherwise looking forward to seeing how they go. It would be nice to have a 23 full of experienced World XV players but we haven’t had that for some time. Looking forward to the second coming of guys like Salakia-Loto, Wright, Daugunu, Lolesio and even Tom Wright after his fall from grace last year.

Looks like a team to me where Schmidt is willing to risk early pain to build the sort of long term game style that he thinks will be successful. I feel like the journey will be a bit rocky early on but is the best approach in the longer term.

stillmissit

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Dru, Better than I expected considering the lousy press coverage of the Wallabies during and post RWC.

Reactions: dru

LeCheese

Jim Lenehan (48)
Unfortunately it isn't 2011/12 anymore. 35k off the back of last year's results is honestly more than I expected.

Just like the Reds, if the Wallabies can start winning, they'll also be drawing higher crowds.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
Despite the comments by some idiots behind a keyboard about Wright as captain, I think he is a good selection. Doesn’t have the sexy highlights others might have but is a student of the game, does the technical things right and sticks his head where others won’t.

Also has the composure and ability to communicate with referees diplomatically.