• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Wales, 6 July

eastman

Colin Windon (37)
I'd have gone in the opposite direction. I think he's a really good rugby player who isn't necessarily suited to a particular position. His overall skillset is pretty good it just isn't ideal for any position.

As a Waratahs fan though who will be attending on Saturday I wholly support the a potential token Waratahs selection.
I mean he can’t pass or kick but he is a good ball runner; very strong in contact and relatively fast- he’d be a great rugby league player.

Im not sure what makes him a fantastic rugby player?

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I should be happy for Lynagh, especially as a Reds fan, but I don't see him being suited for a bench spot.

If 12 or 13 get injured who is playing in the centres? I think he can cover 15 if needed but gee he will be targeted if he moves to the centres for injury cover during the game.

Dont get me wrong, he will put his hand up in a second to get on the field in any position and will keep getting up no matter what is thrown at him but he just seems too small.

I would have had Donaldson.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
I should be happy for Lynagh, especially as a Reds fan, but I don't see him being suited for a bench spot.

If 12 or 13 get injured who is playing in the centres? I think he can cover 15 if needed but gee he will be targeted if he moves to the centres for injury cover during the game.

Dont get me wrong, he will put his hand up in a second to get on the field in any position and will keep getting up no matter what is thrown at him but he just seems too small.

I would have had Donaldson.
I guess Lolo can go to 12 if needed or perhaps Flook? Daugunu to 13 or even Kellaway? Kellaway the backup 15.

Agreed that Donaldson is the more versatile reserve though.

Overtime

Herbert Moran (7)
Based off the article:

1. James Slipper
2. Matt Faesslar
3. Allan Ala’alatoa
4. Jeremy Williams*
5. Lukhan Salakai-Loto
6. Liam Wright (c)
7. Fraser McReight
8. Rob Valetini
9. Jake Gordon
10. Noah Lolesio
11. Filipo Daugunu
12. Hunter Paisami
13. Josh Flook*
14. Andrew Kellaway
15. Tom Wright
16. Billy Pollard
17. Isaac Kailea*
18. Taniela Tupou
19. Angus Blyth*
20. Charlie Cale*
21. Tate McDermott
22. Tom Lynagh*
23. Dylan Pietsch*

Fucking inexperienced bench but a mobile and beefy forward pack. Will be interesting to see who stays in the squad when Skelton, Koroibete, Bell, Ikitau and potentially Paenga-Amosa and Petaia are available. Very excited to see how Williams and Flook go in the starting side.
Not sure I like Wright being captain. I think Wilson if he is ready after surgery would have been better as McReight plays his best rugby with Wilson at 8 and move Valetini to 6. If Wilson not available I would have preferred Tom Hopper. Honestly, this team doesn't fill me with great confidence. Then again the alternatives we have don't fill me with great confidence either. We may stand a chance against Wales however I think the AB's and Saffas would have a field day against this team.

Hogan

Allen Oxlade (6)
Lolwot Donaldson never proved he was test quality. He has just had his first fairly decent Super season. Which, I might add, I am glad to see.

I maintain he should not have been anywhere near the Wallabies in the last few years and his performances for the Wallabies didn't really do anything to shift that view.

How am I being unreasonable thinking that Pietsch, who had an indifferent to poor (if hardworking) season, doesn't scream test quality standard?
Luckily for Donaldson…Rennie, Eddie and Schmidt obviously don’t share your ‘expert’ opinion on his ability and potential.

Didn’t he win a MOM award at last year’s World Cup? Not a bad achievement for someone so early in their Test career.

I like the look of Pietsch. Runs hard, tackles hard and is good over the ball. Probably just needs to work on his kicking game. Looking forward to watching him play.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
We are coming from a very low base. Even through Rennies time we were just a speed bump in the RC. The less said about EJs little foray the better.

Schmidt will hopefully build from the ground up, as he did in Ireland. He has good people around him and up is the only way to go.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
https://www.theroar.com.au/2024/07/...x-debutants-expected-for-schmidts-first-test/

Few wild cards thrown in there. From the article, I'm reading the 23 as:

1. Slipper
2. Faesslar
3. Ala'alatoa
4. Frost
5. Salakai-Loto
6. Wright (c)
7. McReight
8. Valetini
9. Gordon
10. Lolesio
11. Daugunu
12. Paisami
13. Flook*
14. Kellaway
15. Wright
16. Pollard
17. Kailea*
18. Tupou/Nonggorr
19. Blyth*
20. Williams*
21. McDermott
22. Lynagh*
23. Pietsch*
It’s clearly going to be close to this but there is a fair bit of ambiguity in Doran’s article with phrases like ‘up to’ and ‘could be’ so I would expect some divergence from this when the team is announced today.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I don’t mind it because personally I think a Thursday announcement for a Saturday game is pretty late. Particularly for internationals when these guys are in a camp for weeks together.

Rugby needs to be getting as much media out as possible in the lead up to Wallabies games especially. Would prefer a Tuesday or Wednesday announcement with a couple of days of stories about debutants, legitimate team analysis etc.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don’t mind it because personally I think a Thursday announcement for a Saturday game is pretty late. Particularly for internationals when these guys are in a camp for weeks together.

Rugby needs to be getting as much media out as possible in the lead up to Wallabies games especially. Would prefer a Tuesday or Wednesday announcement with a couple of days of stories about debutants, legitimate team analysis etc.
Team generally finds out on Monday.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not sure I like Wright being captain. I think Wilson if he is ready after surgery would have been better as McReight plays his best rugby with Wilson at 8 and move Valetini to 6. If Wilson not available I would have preferred Tom Hopper. Honestly, this team doesn't fill me with great confidence. Then again the alternatives we have don't fill me with great confidence either. We may stand a chance against Wales however I think the AB's and Saffas would have a field day against this team.

I'm not sure if Wilson, who isn't guaranteed of selection, and currently not in the squad, would be a better captain, than the captain of his SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) team...

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Luckily for Donaldson…Rennie, Eddie and Schmidt obviously don’t share your ‘expert’ opinion on his ability and potential.

Didn’t he win a MOM award at last year’s World Cup? Not a bad achievement for someone so early in their Test career.

I like the look of Pietsch. Runs hard, tackles hard and is good over the ball. Probably just needs to work on his kicking game. Looking forward to watching him play.
Oh you really got me there. Nailed. Donaldson really shone through in a stellar world cup for Australia. :rolleyes:

scrans21

Sydney Middleton (9)
Wales: Liam Williams; Josh Hathaway, Owen Watkin, Mason Grady, Rio Dyer; Ben Thomas, Ellis Bevan; Gareth Thomas, Dewi Lake, Archie Griffin, Christ Tshiunza, Dafydd Jenkins, Taine Plumtree, Tommy Reffell, Aaron Wainwright.

Replacements: Evan Lloyd, Kemsley Mathias, Harri O’Connor, Cory Hill, James Botham, Kieran Hardy, Sam Costelow, Nick Tompkins.

stillmissit

Peter Fenwicke (45)
If this is correct, it has all the hallmarks of Dave Rennie's first team based on local suggestions. It took him some time to get the team right and had it not been for those non-stop injuries he might have gone a lot better.
I will wait for the official story but assume this is close to the team. I would have had McRight as captain as I ain't sure Wright can hold the 6 spot.