• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Wales, 6 July

scrans21

Sydney Middleton (9)
https://www.theroar.com.au/2024/07/...x-debutants-expected-for-schmidts-first-test/

Few wild cards thrown in there. From the article, I'm reading the 23 as:

1. Slipper
2. Faesslar
3. Ala'alatoa
4. Frost
5. Salakai-Loto
6. Wright (c)
7. McReight
8. Valetini
9. Gordon
10. Lolesio
11. Daugunu
12. Paisami
13. Flook*
14. Kellaway
15. Wright
16. Pollard
17. Kailea*
18. Tupou/Nonggorr
19. Blyth*
20. Williams*
21. McDermott
22. Lynagh*
23. Pietsch*

rugbyAU

Colin Windon (37)
https://www.theroar.com.au/2024/07/...x-debutants-expected-for-schmidts-first-test/

Few wild cards thrown in there. From the article, I'm reading the 23 as:

1. Slipper
2. Faesslar
3. Ala'alatoa
4. Frost
5. Salakai-Loto
6. Wright (c)
7. McReight
8. Valetini
9. Gordon
10. Lolesio
11. Daugunu
12. Paisami
13. Flook*
14. Kellaway
15. Wright
16. Pollard
17. Kailea*
18. Tupou/Nonggorr
19. Blyth*
20. Williams*
21. McDermott
22. Lynagh*
23. Pietsch*
Gee I hope we can win

Tomthumb

John Solomon (38)
Surprised to see Hodgman down the pecking order, was the form loosehead this year I thought, and not sure how much Slipper has left in the tank at this stage

Gordon probably the best type of player to help Noah succeed. Have been a big critic of him but he played really well behind a bad Tahs pack all year, and wont overly dominate the speed of the ruck ball like Nic White

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Hopefully if Pietsch gets a run he will prove up to this level, like Donaldson, the last 'worst ever' player under the Derpus rankings
Lolwot Donaldson never proved he was test quality. He has just had his first fairly decent Super season. Which, I might add, I am glad to see.

I maintain he should not have been anywhere near the Wallabies in the last few years and his performances for the Wallabies didn't really do anything to shift that view.

How am I being unreasonable thinking that Pietsch, who had an indifferent to poor (if hardworking) season, doesn't scream test quality standard?

Last edited:

Homer

Fred Wood (13)
Surprised to see Hodgman down the pecking order, was the form loosehead this year I thought, and not sure how much Slipper has left in the tank at this stage

Gordon probably the best type of player to help Noah succeed. Have been a big critic of him but he played really well behind a bad Tahs pack all year, and wont overly dominate the speed of the ruck ball like Nic White
Nothing in the article about whether Slipper is in or not, so Hodgman may join Kailea.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
"Of the 15 that started against Wales at the Olympique Lyonnais, only three remain with James Slipper, Rob Valetini and Andrew Kellaway expected to start."
I think Frost started as well so does that infer that either Blyth or Williams are running on with LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)? Edit: McReight also started so Doran is mixed up somewhere.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Jake Gordon! Would have got long odds on that.

Yellow cards in his last two starts for the Wobs

Though he had a decent year, but it really is a new team now

Eastcoast

Fred Wood (13)
And there were games when his efforts were some of the best in a shitty team that had given up

He is a work rate unit, chases kicks, tackles hard, good in contact and works hard off the ball to provide viable options whilst our more celebrated winger would just waive his hand in the air

There will be better finishes, there will be faster units, but he isn't crap
I dont believe he is crap, although its a Wallabies team. You need to pick the best players rather than just the hard workers. If you are in the Wallabies and not a hard worker, then maybe you shouldnt be there.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Jake Gordon! Would have got long odds on that.

It certainly makes sense as by why he wasn't granted a release. I assume he'd also be happy not to have been granted a release on the basis that he was commencing the season as the Wallabies 9.

It's an interesting one. He really hasn't excelled in his previous test appearances but has routinely put himself in the argument based on good Super Rugby play. I wonder if this time he'll be able to nail down the spot for a while?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Article says Frost to miss out.

Must admit I’m amazed by Blyth’s sudden ascension up the ranks given he was injured for most of the season and, even when he wasn’t Kiss didn’t appear in a hurry to pick him. Maybe making sure he was fully fit? And I’m a fan - just seems to have come from no where. Hope he goes well. Certainly will bring a more physical edge. Hopefully he brings discipline with it.

scrans21

Sydney Middleton (9)
Based off the article:

1. James Slipper
2. Matt Faesslar
3. Allan Ala’alatoa
4. Jeremy Williams*
5. Lukhan Salakai-Loto
6. Liam Wright (c)
7. Fraser McReight
8. Rob Valetini
9. Jake Gordon
10. Noah Lolesio
11. Filipo Daugunu
12. Hunter Paisami
13. Josh Flook*
14. Andrew Kellaway
15. Tom Wright
16. Billy Pollard
17. Isaac Kailea*
18. Taniela Tupou
19. Angus Blyth*
20. Charlie Cale*
21. Tate McDermott
22. Tom Lynagh*
23. Dylan Pietsch*

Fucking inexperienced bench but a mobile and beefy forward pack. Will be interesting to see who stays in the squad when Skelton, Koroibete, Bell, Ikitau and potentially Paenga-Amosa and Petaia are available. Very excited to see how Williams and Flook go in the starting side.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Love a punt on younger players, and the perfect time to do it.
I guess the bit I like is that they aren’t completely green but have experience to fall back on. Flook & Williams are 22 & 23 but have been around a couple of years. Guys like Wright, Pietsch, Blyth, Lolesio, Gordon all have been around for a while. Charlie Cale & Lynagh are the only real rookies and Cale is nearly 24 so he is not a complete youngster by comparison to 2020 when we were bringing in a group of 20 - 22 year olds, a number of them in their first or second year of super rugby.

Edit: sorry, Pollard is 22 as well.