• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Wales, 6 July

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Pietsch is a worse call than Wright if true. I have a few doubts but Wright has undoubtedly been in good form and has all the skills.

Pietsch has pace and is reasonably physical but otherwise is lacking in all of the skills of a top line winger.
You do like a good hyperbole.

Mr Pilfer

Jim Clark (26)
I like Wright and hope he does well but not convinced he holds a starting spot for long with strong competition from Leota, Wilson, Hooper etc

AAA or McReight would have been the safer calls but let’s see how he goes

eastman

Colin Windon (37)
Pietsch has always been more of an athlete than a rugby player; hence the multiple switching off positions during his career to try to best use his physical capabilities (number 8, centre and now wing).

Wing looks like the long term solution as it’s less technical than the others. Honestly I think he’ll be fine against Wales and Georgia but will be outclassed against top opposition.

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
The stadium is new so I haven't been to it (though have been to it's predecessor). Give it 30 mins though. Drinks before/after on Oxford Street. If you're going by train you'll need to allow a good 20 mins walk.
Or catch the light rail

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
IMO the best backrowers in Super Rugby for the Aussie teams were Wilson, McReight, Wright, Cale, Valetini & Swinton. Throw Leota in there if you want. With Swinton and Wilson out (plus Leota) and assuming Valetini & McReight are in their spots the choice between Wright & Cale becomes a choice of styles/priorities.

Over the last few years Australia has desperately needed someone to do the graft work at breakdown.

Wrights selection as our starting 6 makes perfect sense IMO.

Last edited:

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This was my take on the Wallabies thread...

The choice of Wright, with his skillset, going forward opens up some flexibility with backrow combinations depending on the game...

You probably have Wright and Valetini as the two constants at 6/7 or 8/6 respectively, and then you've got options with McReight, Cale, or even Hooper depending on the game.

I'm actually surprised by some of the reactions... he's probably the unheralded hero of the Reds' backrow IMO.

And here is a bit of Wright's breakdown analysis from a few months ago:

Smart breakdown operator, pilferer, and good in the lineout...

I'd say he's a good chance to be a permanent member of the backrow.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
It does feel strange we are nitpicking Wright and while it took me by surprise he's up to standard when we will see some guys who straight up aren't involved in Tests at some stage.

Reminds me of Ben Mowen situation tbh. Gonna suck now if he signs overseas

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
The other thing I like about Wright’s selection is he’s a good example of a guy given some exposure early then set away to work on his short comings. After several years of growth (and a couple of injuries) his game has progressed and he has now added some grunt to his game smarts and work rate and, at face value, seems more likely to make his mark at test level.

LeCheese

Jim Lenehan (48)
The other thing I like about Wright’s selection is he’s a good example of a guy given some exposure early then set away to work on his short comings. After several years of growth (and a couple of injuries) his game has progressed and he has now added some grunt to his game smarts and work rate and, at face value, seems more likely to make his mark at test level.
I think it wasn't so much that he was sent away to work on things (i.e. H Wilson), more that he was unavailable due to injury, or not really selectable due to limited game time he'd seen as a result.

Probably a hot take from a one-eyed Reds fan, but I reckon his form has been consistent enough across the last few seasons that he would've been in the Wobs picture if available.

Eastcoast

Fred Wood (13)
Pietsch cant play on the wing for the Wallabies. Never nice to knock a bloke, good solid player, but not National team quality at this point. There were periods throughout the year that he would have been better in Shute Shield rather than Waratahs level. Ill be taking Wales with the line if some of these selections happen.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Pietsch has always been more of an athlete than a rugby player; hence the multiple switching off positions during his career to try to best use his physical capabilities (number 8, centre and now wing).

I'd have gone in the opposite direction. I think he's a really good rugby player who isn't necessarily suited to a particular position. His overall skillset is pretty good it just isn't ideal for any position.

As a Waratahs fan though who will be attending on Saturday I wholly support the a potential token Waratahs selection.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think it wasn't so much that he was sent away to work on things (i.e. H Wilson), more that he was unavailable due to injury, or not really selectable due to limited game time he'd seen as a result.

Probably a hot take from a one-eyed Reds fan, but I reckon his form has been consistent enough across the last few seasons that he would've been in the Wobs picture if available.
Sent away is probably the wrong way to put it, but he did go out of favour. I’m pretty sure he got left out a couple of times even when available. But maybe my recollection is wrong.

Agree that he’s been excellent for the Reds when he’s been available, but I’m pretty sure he said himself earlier in the season that with Les Kiss’ guidance he specifically trained to add some bulk and strength and I think it’s helped him advance his game even further.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Sent away is probably the wrong way to put it, but he did go out of favour. I’m pretty sure he got left out a couple of times even when available. But maybe my recollection is wrong.

Agree that he’s been excellent for the Reds when he’s been available, but I’m pretty sure he said himself earlier in the season that with Les Kiss’ guidance he specifically trained to add some bulk and strength and I think it’s helped him advance his game even further.
He just kept having season-ending injuries in Super Rugby. He's had six major injuries since 2021. Never out of favour, just never fit to be selected

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Pietsch cant play on the wing for the Wallabies. Never nice to knock a bloke, good solid player, but not National team quality at this point. There were periods throughout the year that he would have been better in Shute Shield rather than Waratahs level. Ill be taking Wales with the line if some of these selections happen.
And there were games when his efforts were some of the best in a shitty team that had given up

He is a work rate unit, chases kicks, tackles hard, good in contact and works hard off the ball to provide viable options whilst our more celebrated winger would just waive his hand in the air

There will be better finishes, there will be faster units, but he isn't crap