• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Wales, 6 July

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Slipper
Faessler
AAA (c)
Frost
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
Hooper
McReight
Valetini
White (vc)
Donaldson
Kellaway
Paisami
Flook
Daugunu
Wright

Pollard
Hodgman
Nonggorr
Williams
Cale
McDermott
Lolesio
Lancaster

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Minor issue but swap Kellaway and Daugunu. I'd give Kellaway the statistical greater space and Daugunu the likely more traffic. I'd probably have a different VC as well in fact I'd start Tate. For that matter I'd start Lolo over Donaldson. All of these are quibbles only and def like your 23.

Last edited:

Denominator

Frank Row (1)
Howdy folks,
I'm lucky enough to be attending a conference in Sydney on the 6th and plan to attend the match. However, I'm an American and have very little exposure to rugby (although I'm an avid American football fan). Any thoughts or advice for someone new to the sport attending their first match?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
That's a bloody open question, ;).

In theory the game is continuous, but ref calls tend to break it up.
The ball cant go forward out of the hands, but can be kicked forward.
You can't have blockers to the runner. Strangely the exceptions are the scrum and the maul.
Scrum: the big fat blokes bind together and push each other off the ball. Usually expect the ball to be won by the team that puts the ball into the scrum.
Maul, if the runner does not go to ground, the big fat blokes can bind together in an informal scrum and push each other. The bloke with the ball can, within rules, be blocked and it is a tactic for a group pushing over to score. In a mall you do NOT have to let go of the runner and it can be a pile in.
If the ball goes out there is a lineout, those big fat blokes line up in two lines and the ball is thrown in between them. Usually the team throwing the ball in wins. Throw is to the team that did NOT put the ball out.
Kick out on the full - lineout from where it was kicked. Exception is in the quarter of the field defending. Out on the bounce, lineout from where it goes out.
Ruck, not a maul and where the runner is tackled to the ground. You must release the runner, and the runner must release the ball. There are rules as to how you join the ruck (not from the sides) and about picking the ball up. A turnover (where you get the ball back from the runner) is a big deal.

Look for neither team wanting to do anything from their own end of the field - just hoof it (kick) to the opposition down the other end and then it is their problem.
Get possession closer to the middle of the field and the team is likely to start setting up plays to hold possession. Get closer to the line and the ref starts to get really determined on the rules about defending.

Expect to be befuddled by ref decisions, don't worry about it, so are we most of the time.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Slipper
Faessler
AAA
Frost
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
Valetini
McReight
Cale
McDermott
Lolesio
Kellaway
Paisami
Flook
Daugunu
Wright

Pollard
Hodgman
TT
Williams
Wright
White
Donaldson
Pietsch
I would guess that this is pretty close. I would start Lancaster on the wing and have Daugunu on the bench in place of Pietsch to cover 13-14.

Latts1992

Herbert Moran (7)
That'll depend on if you want to watch both matches. The Women's match kicks off at 4:45pm and is included in your ticket. I wouldn't arrive any more than about 15 minutes before the first match, but give yourself a good 30-40 minutes if arriving for the Men's match. The suburbs around the ground are great for a pre-game drink and meal with many excellent pubs to settle in at. The weather isn't looking great on Saturday so an indoor booking would be a good option, and a seat about 10 rows back from the field would be your best bet to avoid any risk of rain.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Great effort Dru. I was thinking the main points for an American Football fan would be about not passing the ball forward and the continuous aspect of the ball in play, both of which you covered perfectly well. Some other points to be aware of are :

- scoring is by way of effecting a try or by kicking a goal. Tries are worth 5 points. After a try is scored the successful team has an opportunity to kick for a conversion goal which, if successful, is worth 2 points. An infringement of any of the laws of the game sees a penalty awarded to the non-infringing team. If they desire, they may take an attempt at a penalty goal which if successful is worth 3 points. Kicks at goal may be by way of a place kick (from a tee placed on the ground) or by drop kick.

- if a player with the ball loses control of the ball and it is propelled towards the opposition goal line, it is ruled to be a knock on. These incidents tend to occur much too frequently in a game, and lead to a scrum being set with the non-offending team to feed the ball into the scrum.

- certain types of play are outlawed, including foul play, and may lead to the offending player being removed from the game temporarily (yellow card) or for the remainder of the game (red card).

Reactions: dru

Denominator

Frank Row (1)
So looking at pictures of the stadium, am I right to assume that my limited budget and distance from the field should actually keep me dry?

Watching y’all’s match against the All Blacks from last season. I can confirm that I don’t have the slightest ideas about the penalties being called

Reactions: dru

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
D, check the stadium layout and seat prices; about 8 rows back in one of the corners shouldn't be too expensive and will be under cover. There are plenty of pubs in Paddington and Surry Hills around the ground, they'll all have a goodish number of fans meeting mates before the game. Introduce yourself and bung on "I'm a poor, lost Yank who knows bugger all about rugby. Can you help me?", and the rugby fans present will look after you. And buy you a beer.

Enjoy the game.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
So looking at pictures of the stadium, am I right to assume that my limited budget and distance from the field should actually keep me dry?

Watching y’all’s match against the All Blacks from last season. I can confirm that I don’t have the slightest ideas about the penalties being called
That’s alright. Neither do we.

Nor did the ref.

I only know we was robbed.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I’ll leave it to the other helpful souls on here to give you specifics on the game itself, location etc, but here are my tips -

- if you want the true Aussie experience turn up full of naive optimism and hope. It makes the beer taste better in the second half
- go early with the intention of not drinking too much so you can really enjoy the game. But then have half a dozen too many too early leading to a total lack of self control and really do a job on yourself.
- try and identify early who the Brumbies players are so you know who to blame if things go bad
- if you want to get on well with the local crowd make sure you mention how things would’ve gone much better if Bernard Foley and Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) were picked. Maybe even throw in that they should have brought Hooper back out of retirement for this one to rally the troops (although there is a chance no one will know who you are talking about unless they are Roosters fans)
- it does sound wonderful when the Welsh (and others) sing at the rugby. Unfortunately not so when the Aussies do. It’s just not our thing
- if you happen to sit next a bunch of Welsh people I am assured they are lovely. If a bit nuts. But don’t expect to understand them. Just smile and tell them you love Tom and that Michael Douglas is definitely punching
- if we win, you are definitely one of us. If we lose - well misery loves company and we need all the jersey sales we can get so you are still welcome back on Monday to rip in

Hope you have a wonderful time.