• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Springboks, Sat 10th August 2.30pm AEST @ Suncorp,

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
are you going to make a coherent point or are you going to spend every post crying about imagined slights against Melbourne or your preferred players?

oh okay I didn’t realise that you couldn’t understand basic English.

simple stop picking shit club footballers & start picking the best 23.

ironically the same weekend this pathetic side who try to say they represent this country their best wing options are either ‘not ready’ or being plastered all over social media in a rugby league jersey. The best 10 option is working on his rugby league.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
People,

Give it a rest. Its not changing overnight. A few comments
1. Noah and Hunter don't work at the highest level. Noah played well for Noah today but his kicking in general play is 20-30 too short. We could not get ourselves out of trouble. Lynagh had time.
2. Harry Wilson had a great game today as did a number of the forwards putting Boks on their Bums. Make no mistake, the scoreline may not show it, but, The Boks would have known they had been hit. The problem was, that on attack, very few forwards bent the line.
3. The scrum. I am not saying that they were not penalties, but, when you tell the 9 to clear the ball and he does not and then penalise the other team....Not many scrums did not penalties for the boks. Makes it hard to apply pressure. We need TT to hold this. A Bell would be handy too,
4. The lineout was a mess.

So, while the score was not great, the lineout and scrums gave a heap of ground.

We need a 10-12 combination that has the ability to steer us around the field. Noah maybe OK, but, he needs a Giteau like foley had in 2015 RWC. There was a reason NZ took Giteau out in the final. They knew without him we were gone. Could not exit and apply territory pressure.
Lol

Overtime

Herbert Moran (7)
I've always rated Gordon. He's had a thankless task at the Tahs over the past couple of years as captain of an underperforming side but was often their best player. Very happy for him to be first choice 9.
I know people
All my fear with Tizzano have come to fruition. Too bloody small.
Yes, I said he would get smashed. Gives it a good crack, just too small. Forwards out muscled, backs to quick and slick. We don't have the cattle. They need Skelton A.S.A.P. Thor and Bell. Yes, backs didn't see much ball not their fault today. I will continue to say fly half has been an achilles heel for Aus rugby ever since Quade and Foley finished up (disclaimer Foley was not that good either, and Quade better with age). I will maintain (and get shouted at) that Aus rugby need to try something new with Carter Gordon gone to league. Lolesio, Lynagh and Donaldson give it their all but they all lack the skill required at fly half for Australia to become a top tier rugby nation again. I touted about 5 years ago about moving Wright to fly half in club and super rugby as I think he could of been very good there as he is quick off the mark and has the pace, vision to slip through on attack more so than anyone we have at the moment (I got laughed at on here for the suggestion). To old now to change Wright and yes, I am a Tahs fan but honestly I think they have to give Jorgenson a crack. Not saying he will do well there but both the Tahs and Wallabies have nothing to lose. Give him a crack at club rugby, then the Tahs, then the Wallabies if good enough. My future backline, Lonergan 9, Jorgenson 10 (if good enough), Toole 11, Sua'lli'i 12 (again give him a crack after settling in on the wing first), Ikitau, Tim Ryan or Lancaster unless someone else comes along, Tom Wright (if no one else).

Where's the beef

Chris McKivat (8)
Lynagh had time? It was 15 on 13 at that stage. No 10 goes well when they have minimal ball and the forwards were outplayed.
Yeah he did. You cant teach it.

The young man who played 12 for the reds and did his ACL in super rugby was hands down the the best 12 I saw this year. Hope he gets back.

Yes the forwards were beaten, but, the 10 could hardly get us out of the 22!. Position does count.

Too many people in this play expect miracles.

Joe needs time.

Where's the beef

Chris McKivat (8)
I know people

Yes, I said he would get smashed. Gives it a good crack, just too small. Forwards out muscled, backs to quick and slick. We don't have the cattle. They need Skelton A.S.A.P. Thor and Bell. Yes, backs didn't see much ball not their fault today. I will continue to say fly half has been an achilles heel for Aus rugby ever since Quade and Foley finished up (disclaimer Foley was not that good either, and Quade better with age). I will maintain (and get shouted at) that Aus rugby need to try something new with Carter Gordon gone to league. Lolesio, Lynagh and Donaldson give it their all but they all lack the skill required at fly half for Australia to become a top tier rugby nation again. I touted about 5 years ago about moving Wright to fly half in club and super rugby as I think he could of been very good there as he is quick off the mark and has the pace, vision to slip through on attack more so than anyone we have at the moment (I got laughed at on here for the suggestion). To old now to change Wright and yes, I am a Tahs fan but honestly I think they have to give Jorgenson a crack. Not saying he will do well there but both the Tahs and Wallabies have nothing to lose. Give him a crack at club rugby, then the Tahs, then the Wallabies if good enough. My future backline, Lonergan 9, Jorgenson 10 (if good enough), Toole 11, Sua'lli'i 12 (again give him a crack after settling in on the wing first), Ikitau, Tim Ryan or Lancaster unless someone else comes along, Tom Wright (if no one else).
Jorgo is no 10. He is wing or 15.

Dono has gifts with the boot, but does not steer the ship camly.
Noah scores points but cannot give you field position because his field kicking is too short
Lynagh is still developing but I like what I see. Needs to be nurtured.

I thought the 7 played well today. We have no pockock who was the best over the ball in contact.

Lower scrum, Less fancy linout. Gotta bend the line. Harry tackled his heart out today but needs a trailer to pop to. He does not break the line in tight. We need a few more animals.

DropGoal

Ted Fahey (11)
IMG_6546.jpeg

dillyboy

Arch Winning (36)
Trying to solve our problems caused by our forwards getting destroyed by rotating through yet another young 10 is indeed insane
Agreed also true.

If our forwards weren't getting smashed the backline play would have been different.

I still don't rate that 9-10 combination though

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Unsure what I expected. But, after seeing Taniela and Bell warm up with the squad, part of me thought there had been late substitutions and both were in the 23.

When they didnt come back out with the team I think that's when it all went downhill.

Having a scrum that much of a liability was the biggest get out of jail card for the Boks. They could win a penalty on either feed, kick the ball 30-40m down the field and get the pill back.

There's not much we can do other than Bell and Taniela coming back. Perhaps Hodgman as Slipper is busted.

Skelton and other French players aren't match fit or around. So you're really only got Blyth and Smith who are around and can assist.

With both Rights out, I'd be getting Uru or Hooper to start at 7 because Tiazzano was unnoticed.

Finally, whoever is captain next week needs to be in the Refs ear about Kolbes constant off sides. He was in our backline on the pass that lead up to our try.

Aussie D

Bob Davidson (42)
Second half: 12-7

Test team next week:

15. Kellaway
14. Wright
13. Ikitau
12. Paisami
11. Koroibete
10. Lynagh
9. Gordon
8. Valetini
7. Rory Scott
6. Williams or LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
5. As above
4. Frost
3. Nonggor
2. Nasser
1. ?
Keep Wright at fullback, Koro for Dungunu, Lolo at 10, agree on Williams at 6, not sure if Frost's fitness but would look to bring in Smith and Swain, Sam Talakai would be worth a go at tighthead with Hodgeman at loose.

Happy

Alex Ross (28)
I was happy with the effort of the forwards in defence. Every one of them put a huge shift in. We were always going to struggle against that Bok pack. In the line out we were a target short, and had to resort to dancing around to try and take the pressure off the throw.

Our kicking game was poor today. No team could keep the Boks out with that much territory and possession. Apart from that the turnovers when we finally got close to their line were coach killers.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I see we're starting to get predictable calls for wholesale changes already. Bell and TT back in the front row will help, but ultimately the coaching team have to keep working with these blokes and improve their technique and formations out on the park.

This has been a reality check of the most severe kind and was going to happen at some point. We should not be throwing away everything we've been trying to build with knee jerk selections.

A bit of bloody calm please. IMHO we are already functioning better than this time last year.