• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Springboks, Sat 10th August 2.30pm AEST @ Suncorp,

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
A question and a series of random observations.

Was South Africa’s try to Kolisi legal? I don’t see how you can lift a player specifically to pass him the ball. Further to that what is the actual merit in it? Yes - I know they scored but why throw him in the air. Ok - no one can touch him in the air but you also can’t start your drive until he hits the ground. A feel like it just buys the defence a bit of time. To be clear not suggesting for a minute it made a difference to the result. Just seems unusual.

With regards to lineouts a couple of comments on here around lack of third jumper. I thought most of the missed were just inaccurate throws. Our jumpers were mostly finding space (apart from once I think). It just looked like the throw missed.

As disappointing as that game was I obviously had lower expectations to others. Before the game I hoped for a win, but admit I feared it would be worse. The thing that most disappointed me is that we shot ourselves in the foot so many times. The lineouts were a big part but also a bunch of penalties we just didn’t need to give away. We actually defended really well for periods but just kept giving penalties away. And the kicking!!! I actually think Schmidt’s tactics may have been okay - but handing back possession on lineouts, needless penalties and poor kicks against one of the best teams I’ve seen in my lifetime - just makes it too hard. Some were forced by pressure, but plenty weren’t.

I don’t expect any miracle calls or silver bullets - there aren’t any. A few different players might had made it closer but we don’t have the team to beat SA at the moment, except if the moons align. But there were a bunch of fixable issues today so, hopefully, the coaching group can get some traction this week. But turning the ship will take time and take perseverance.

Yoda

Bob Loudon (25)
oh okay I didn’t realise that you couldn’t understand basic English.

simple stop picking shit club footballers & start picking the best 23.

ironically the same weekend this pathetic side who try to say they represent this country their best wing options are either ‘not ready’ or being plastered all over social media in a rugby league jersey. The best 10 option is working on his rugby league.
Ha. Codswallop.

Marce

Peter Sullivan (51)
Damian De Allende is an unstopabble beast. That's what you expect from your 12 at test level. Meanwhile Paisami is invisible

Marce

Peter Sullivan (51)
I never saw this HUGE different in levels between Australia and South Africa. I can't believe this is the best 23 Australia can launch. It's just not at Tier 1 level

Yoda

Bob Loudon (25)
We don't want wholesale changes. Most of the players out there today were the best available.

The set piece was smashed and the lineout was short of a third target as mentioned by others above, but all in all the defence by the Wallabies pack stood up for most of the game. It is just not possible to critique the backline attack because they had precious little ball. But it is fair to say that there were some defensive lapses in both backs and forwards and that there were far too many penalties given away through poor thoughtless play.

To me, Hunter Paisami is the worst for conceding senseless penalties and often in situations where the Wallabies have territory and possession. It's a pity we have so few options at 12 for the Wallabies. Stewart is not the answer imo as he is almost like for like with Hunter.

I am patiently waiting for the penny to drop among many posters here who think the sun shines out of Andrew Kellaway's dark places. He is simply a liability in defence. Mostly out of position in defence as he was in at least one Bokke try movement, or misses or falls off tackles.

For Perth, I would like to see the front row bolstered, hopefully by a fit Angus Bell and a returning Taniela Tupou if family commitments allow. I would stick with Kailea as I think he has a lot of development in him. I reckon there has to be a better No 5 around the franchises than LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) who is more a hybrid 5/6 better suited off the bench. Perhaps Smith from the Reds as I don't think Blyth or Williams really offer more than LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto). Not sure on 7, but Tizzano is a bit light to take on most test quality forward packs but give him his due he made a couple of steals during this game but it's not enough. Did Harry Wilson do enough to be retained in the starting lineup? Not sure. He is always very busy but his lack of go forward in contact marks against him. Maybe LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) at 6, Hooper at 7 and Valetini at 8?

I really would like to see someone else at 12. The outside backs in any game involving Hunter rarely see the ball. But who is available? Is foketi fit and in the squad? Maybe Flook to see if he can light up our attack?
“The outside backs in any game involving Hunter rarely see the ball.”…. Agree with this. I disagree though that Stewart is like for like. I thought Joe would have had White, Donaldson and Stewart play together against Georgia to see how they went. Unlikely now for Stewart to get a start with all games from now going to be very tough..especially in Argentina now they just beat the All Blacks. I suspect Marika will come in for injured Daugunu and be otherwise unchanged. Forwards just aren’t big enough and no mongrel.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
Was South Africa’s try to Kolisi legal? I don’t see how you can lift a player specifically to pass him the ball. Further to that what is the actual merit in it? Yes - I know they scored but why throw him in the air. Ok - no one can touch him in the air but you also can’t start your drive until he hits the ground. A feel like it just buys the defence a bit of time. To be clear not suggesting for a minute it made a difference to the result. Just seems unusual.
So you can obviously lift someone in the lineout. As soon as they pass it the lineout is over. But it's also legal to lift someone in open play too.

Law 9.26
In open play, any player may lift or support a team-mate. Players who do so must lower that player to the ground safely as soon as the ball is won by either team. Sanction: Free-kick.

Given the refs reactions, I think South Africa had cleared it with him before the match.

The most frustrating thing about this SA team is they are obviously very good, but they are very innovative and smart too

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
So you can obviously lift someone in the lineout. As soon as they pass it the lineout is over. But it's also legal to lift someone in open play too.

Given the refs reactions, I think South Africa had cleared it with him before the match.

The most frustrating thing about this SA team is they are obviously very good, but they are very innovative and smart too
As much as I dislike some of the shit Rassie carries on with South Africa rugby has really come along under his direction.

Marce

Peter Sullivan (51)
37 minutes and it's the first time the Wallabies step on the opposition 22 :shock:

Last edited: