• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Springboks, Sat 10th August 2.30pm AEST @ Suncorp,

Marce

Peter Sullivan (51)
If White played today I doubt we’d have much difference in the score.
That's the point. Your 3 half-backs aren't top class. McDermott is fast as hell but not consistenly in his passing game. White is better passing the ball but not pace

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I was happy with the effort of the forwards in defence. Every one of them put a huge shift in. We were always going to struggle against that Bok pack. In the line out we were a target short, and had to resort to dancing around to try and take the pressure off the throw.

Our kicking game was poor today. No team could keep the Boks out with that much territory and possession. Apart from that the turnovers when we finally got close to their line were coach killers.
You watching the same game? Our forwards let them stroll over the line

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Rassie mind fucked the refs as well. I swear the last 2 years they always get ridiculous calls go their way. Even knocks it on and somehow the Boks get a penalty. Frost all over the ball with no one for the Boks to clean out and no penalty called. Doenst make a kick of difference when you can't even set an attack up to score points though

Wallaby Man

Nev Cottrell (35)
I agree with sone of what you say Hawke - but I’m going to continue to bristle at this suggestion that someone being named a world beater on form OS. Firstly, exactly how many can actually be world’s best in a single comp because that title seems to be given to a hell of a lot of players, and secondly I’d argue that when these guys have come back more often than not they haven’t been significantly better then when they left, other than some improvement that comes with experience and maturity.

What we need to do (IMO) is broaden our base and improve our pathway development. Not a short term fix at all, but far more sustainable than parachuting guys in. In that sense relaxing the Giteau law would be a disaster IMO.
Or the players go overseas go into a better program that offers elite s&c, tactics, analysis and all round coaching, let alone game time. Then they come back and regress with the facilities, coaching, and because of our limited resources not the same level of conditioning. It was only few years ago Rob Kearney commented that he was shocked at how poor the coaching and resources were in Australia.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Most people on here need to get a cup of tea and have a good lie down.

SA have probably got 5 players in the world's top 10, we haven't got one. This was the world's best team vs a team somewhere between eighth and tenth. We can expect that if both sides play to their capabilities we will lose by 40 or 50 points. The South Africans could play their third best 23 and still expect to beat us, though maybe not by 40.

We don't have a loose head of the quality of Ox, we don't have a hooker of the quality of Marx or Bongi, we don't have a tight head of the quality of Koch or Malherbe. They had two of the all time greats as their locking pair, du Toit and Etsebeth. Only McReight (injured) and Valetini in our squad would have a hope of making the SA touring squad and only Valetini would be considered as a possible starter at 8. Tupou just doesn't train hard enough and misses lots of games. Our forwards were always going to get rolled today - most of them gave of their best but it was men vs boys.

We just have to suck it up and keep trying to develop a competitive team. We also have to throw Giteau's law in the bin and do what the South Africans do. Best Australians on the planet get picked regardless. We don't have the luxury for anything else.

And our Super coaches are incompetent, even the supposedly good ones. Staniforth goes to the Brumbies for three or four years, supposedly the home of great forward coaching. Plays off the bench 90% of the time. Comes to Sydney to get a starting role and for several years is universally derided as useless. Goes to France, arguably the world's best league, and immediately goes into top 5 best locks status. Our coaches do not value what's important. And that is why we are second tier and why SA are a 40 point better side than us.

Today was better than I expected. This is just where we are.
The two top TH's in URC rugby were Wilko Louw (Bulls) and Fouche Neethling (Stormers). Both will walk in any international side. South Africa has so many young talent coming through and thats the positive from todays test. SFM, BJD and Elrich Louw played like champions today.

Reactions: dru

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
That's the point. Your 3 half-backs aren't top class. McDermott is fast as hell but not consistenly in his passing game. White is better passing the ball but not pace
Disagree. White plays we are better. Gordan is third or fourth in Aus. He just looked good against a shit team in Wales

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
Or the players go overseas go into a better program that offers elite s&c, tactics, analysis and all round coaching, let alone game time. Then they come back and regress with the facilities, coaching, and because of our limited resources not the same level of conditioning. It was only few years ago Rob Kearney commented that he was shocked at how poor the coaching and resources were in Australia.
There is some obvious truth to the issues around coaching (I remember reading the article from Kearney). But it still doesn’t make sense these guys have become world beaters over there and then drop away so much so quickly. If anything they should absolutely carve up when they get back due to the lower standard.

capalaba

Ward Prentice (10)
We don't want wholesale changes. Most of the players out there today were the best available.

The set piece was smashed and the lineout was short of a third target as mentioned by others above, but all in all the defence by the Wallabies pack stood up for most of the game. It is just not possible to critique the backline attack because they had precious little ball. But it is fair to say that there were some defensive lapses in both backs and forwards and that there were far too many penalties given away through poor thoughtless play.

To me, Hunter Paisami is the worst for conceding senseless penalties and often in situations where the Wallabies have territory and possession. It's a pity we have so few options at 12 for the Wallabies. Stewart is not the answer imo as he is almost like for like with Hunter.

I am patiently waiting for the penny to drop among many posters here who think the sun shines out of Andrew Kellaway's dark places. He is simply a liability in defence. Mostly out of position in defence as he was in at least one Bokke try movement, or misses or falls off tackles.

For Perth, I would like to see the front row bolstered, hopefully by a fit Angus Bell and a returning Taniela Tupou if family commitments allow. I would stick with Kailea as I think he has a lot of development in him. I reckon there has to be a better No 5 around the franchises than LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) who is more a hybrid 5/6 better suited off the bench. Perhaps Smith from the Reds as I don't think Blyth or Williams really offer more than LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto). Not sure on 7, but Tizzano is a bit light to take on most test quality forward packs but give him his due he made a couple of steals during this game but it's not enough. Did Harry Wilson do enough to be retained in the starting lineup? Not sure. He is always very busy but his lack of go forward in contact marks against him. Maybe LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) at 6, Hooper at 7 and Valetini at 8?

I really would like to see someone else at 12. The outside backs in any game involving Hunter rarely see the ball. But who is available? Is foketi fit and in the squad? Maybe Flook to see if he can light up our attack?

The set piece was smashed and the lineout was short of a third target as mentioned by others above, but all in all the defence by the Wallabies pack stood up for most of the game
I agree with most of your post except for this. Our packs D was abysmal, we couldn't contain the forward momentum. I saw nothing positive for them.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Boys. This is us now. We have lost too many players and up and commers to league. Overseas. Other test sides. It will be a long time until the wallabies are a genuine top 3 side. Unless rugby league dies

Marce

Peter Sullivan (51)
Disagree. White plays we are better. Gordan is third or fourth in Aus. He just looked good against a shit team in Wales
When Australia was a Top 3/5 nation like 2015 RWC or 2019 RWC, Nic White was a consistent substitute below Will Genia and Nick Phipps. Since he has been a consistenly starter, the WBs haven't been a Top 5 nation. Coincidence? I don't believe it