• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Springboks, Sat 10th August 2.30pm AEST @ Suncorp,

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I agree with sone of what you say Hawke - but I’m going to continue to bristle at this suggestion that someone being named a world beater on form OS. Firstly, exactly how many can actually be world’s best in a single comp because that title seems to be given to a hell of a lot of players, and secondly I’d argue that when these guys have come back more often than not they haven’t been significantly better then when they left, other than some improvement that comes with experience and maturity.

What we need to do (IMO) is broaden our base and improve our pathway development. Not a short term fix at all, but far more sustainable than parachuting guys in. In that sense relaxing the Giteau law would be a disaster IMO.
To borrow an old favourite word from the past of GAGR, the "thrashwank" about doing this has been going for decades, and 4/5 of fuck all has been done about it by any administrators in that time. I've given up hope that it ever will happen.
Not having a go at you, by any means, but I reckon we need to put the strongest Wallaby team on the field as often as we can. If nothing else.

Sword of Justice

Trevor Allan (34)
Even if not a single overseas player made our best XV it would still be worth opening up the market, IMO, for two three reasons:
1. Our player depth is about 1mm;
2. We are a breeding ground for the meat grinder leagues in the northern hemisphere who know that they have a guaranteed journeyman inalmost all Aus players. If we pull players out of those leagues in the international window our pool gets stronger and their league gets weaker, meaning;
a) market prices for Wallabies could drop;
b) incentives for players to make the starting XV amplify given match day payments become significant income drivers;
3. Teams like fucking Scotland wouldn't beat us as often.

Tomthumb

Dick Tooth (41)
if we are opening up selection then what exactly are they going to say to the guys that signed with RA after the sales pitch being only then they can play for the wallabies? What are going to say to super rugby? What are they going to say to the tv networks?

South Africa can afford to let players play overseas because they have amazing depth that mean they can still field great local teams and their players don’t play on France, who are trying to make it difficult for any international players

Reactions: TSR

Sword of Justice

Trevor Allan (34)
if we are opening up selection then what exactly are they going to say to the guys that signed with RA after the sales pitch being only then they can play for the wallabies? What are going to say to super rugby? What are they going to say to the tv networks?

South Africa can afford to let players play overseas because they have amazing depth that mean they can still field great local teams and their players don’t play on France, who are trying to make it difficult for any international players
Is that sales pitch really being made? I wouldn't know so I'm genuinely curious. I think any Wallaby or prospective test player is aware of the Giteau rule and know that they are a future chance of selection. Heaps of players who left have been selected recently. Richie Arnold.

As to TV networks, Wallabies drives revenue and if we were competitive that would only be more so the case.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
What's the big difference when you look at the Boks and argies and then less so the Abz. Experience. The wallabies haven't had any for 10 years or more. Where the hell is everyone

Goosestep

Jim Clark (26)
Not having a go at you, by any means, but I reckon we need to put the strongest Wallaby team on the field as often as we can. If nothing else.

Well you’re going to have to fire schmidt if you want that …

his M.O coaching the wallabies was only selecting Australian based players… and excluding all others- including making ridiculous “statements” like dropping Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) who still had a year left on his contract .

Sword of Justice

Trevor Allan (34)

his M.O coaching the wallabies was only selecting Australian based players… and excluding all others- including making ridiculous “statements” like dropping Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) who still had a year left on his contract .
There must be something more to it. Koroibete is currently in camp and he strongly considered Skelton by his own admission.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
We didn’t throw a punch. Even when 2 men up we did not have the capacity to slow down and take advantage. This will be a learning experience in the long rebuilding process. The Boks were relentless and it was like a training run for them. Rassie trying some new ideas throughout.
We need to hold them up front before we can play out the back and without the likes of TT, Bell, McReight and possibly Skelton it was never going to happen.
Going backwards there was no direction from the halves. Lolesio had probably his worst performance in tests. Where do we turn?
I thought Frost stood up, as did Kailea. Valetini was once again himself. Our TH side of the scrum was crushed from the first time they packed down and we just could not even get close to parity from then. We were shut down and out right from the start. I think the Boks will be very pleased.
Lots to work on for us and up is once again the only way to go. I doubt that our coaches are very surprised at this result.

dru

David Wilson (68)
[...] Even when 2 men up we did not have the capacity to slow down and take advantage.
[...]
Going backwards there was no direction from the halves. Lolesio had probably his worst performance in tests. Where do we turn?
[...]

Hey Joe. I realise the above two observations were not directly linked in your post, but thought I might mention that the Wallaby halves when we were two up were Tate and Lynagh.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
I honestly wasn't surprised with result or score. That Bok forward pack is bloody good, and the whole team looks a class above the rest of the RC teams (including ABs). I can understand Wallaby fans disappointment etc, but I really didn't think they were that bad, rather Bok pack was so bloody good.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
But, we got dished up at the coal face. There is no way around that. As said, we were going backwards and under pressure. Hopefully we can change it around a bit for next week and muscle up.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)

his M.O coaching the wallabies was only selecting Australian based players… and excluding all others- including making ridiculous “statements” like dropping Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) who still had a year left on his contract .
I think he’s just drawn a line in the sand and his first step was to see what he can do with the local based exclusively. Second step was to fill a couple of holes where we have weakness, which he is doing via Koroibete and Skelton by the looks of it. He said he won’t know what his best xv is until the EOYT, and that’s when he can go all in with foreign selection. Marky didn’t warrant selection, his head was already at the Roosters.