• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Springboks, Brisbane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
My understanding was that he gets told his ankle is screwed towards the end of the S14. They do the operation and he misses the Tri-Nations. They take the punt on a cortisone shot, it might work and he can continue playing. That doesn't work so he still misses the Tri-Nations and then has to wait for the shot to clear his system and being a proud Two Blues unit plays on one leg to help his side.

You guys are closer to it all than me, but I had heard a different version. + there was definitely a view in Wallaby media and coaching land that TPN might credibly be available for the June Tests, or Tris. They certainly were not saying (in May/June) 'gee, forget TPN this year, he's 100% out'. The point belng that if he was definitely and conclusively out and should not play post-S14 (through risk to worsen the injury etc), why on earth risk him twicein one second-rate BaaBaas 'development' game? If he was definitely out, why not give someone else a full go and see if they could progress, etc? The post-BaaBaas game 2 comments I heard were that the second time he came on in that match really did flare-up or worsen the vulnerable ankle and he was limping badly because of it.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm no expert but I'm sure that you can't get a relevant increase in strength without a long managed conditioning programme.

I agree, Lee, and also with your other comments.

Unfortunately you can get a relevant decrease in strength very rapidly with a wrongly focussed conditioning programme.

The best example of this de-training is Jerry Yanuyanutawa who in September 2008 box-squatted 260kg for 6 reps. I am not aware of any serious player in world rugby who has squatted heavier. Jerry went to the Brumbies who seemingly don't believe in serious strength training. The result has been that he went backwards very quickly in both strength and mobility.

Had he been playing in any other major rugby playing country he would have been encouraged to further develop his strength.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I agree, Lee, and also with your other comments.

Unfortunately you can get a relevant decrease in strength very rapidly with a wrongly focussed conditioning programme.

The best example of this de-training is Jerry Yanuyanutawa who in September 2008 box-squatted 260kg for 6 reps. I am not aware of any serious player in world rugby who has squatted heavier. Jerry went to the Brumbies who seemingly don't believe in serious strength training. The result has been that he went backwards very quickly in both strength and mobility.

Had he been playing in any other major rugby playing country he would have been encouraged to further develop his strength.

Other issues with strength and conditioning programs that have to be carefully managed is that excessive strength training can shorten the muscle fibres (as well as strengthen and thicken) thus you can get a decrease is speed but also an increase in risk of tendon and joint injury if strength training does not include exercises to re-enforcing those areas. Reemeber the bulking up that Tiquiri did and his pace suffered for it. How many other examples of players bulking up only to fall injured with chronic joint issues.

That has always been my main issue with a generalised Weight and conditioning program across the team. It doesn't recognise the different requirements between the pigs and backs.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Good to see AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Rabbit are such good mates.

Adam_Ash_with_young_fan_%28Large%29_page_image.JPG

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Other issues with strength and conditioning programs that have to be carefully managed is that excessive strength training can shorten the muscle fibres (as well as strengthen and thicken) thus you can get a decrease is speed but also an increase in risk of tendon and joint injury if strength training does not include exercises to re-enforcing those areas. Reemeber the bulking up that Tiquiri did and his pace suffered for it. How many other examples of players bulking up only to fall injured with chronic joint issues.

That has always been my main issue with a generalised Weight and conditioning program across the team. It doesn't recognise the different requirements between the pigs and backs.

Strength, conditioning and speed programmes have to be tailored to the individual, fullstop. I'd be very surprised if it was only a general programme across the whole squad. I hope that's not the case.

I think the example of Lote is a very good one.

Boomer

Alfred Walker (16)
Good to see AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Rabbit are such good mates.

Adam_Ash_with_young_fan_%28Large%29_page_image.JPG

Hello to you all,

That is tremendously funny. Well done.

Speaking of youngsters, McCalman's potential debut is an interesting one. I've got a vested interest in watching the Force go round and while I believe he did some great work for them this year, I wonder if he can match it with the Boks in a Test.

While Sharpe reckons he "has some shit" this is a very big ask of a young man.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Speaking of youngsters, McCalman's potential debut is an interesting one. I've got a vested interest in watching the Force go round and while I believe he did some great work for them this year, I wonder if he can match it with the Boks in a Test.

While Sharpe reckons he "has some shit" this is a very big ask of a young man.

The young bloke will be up to the task.

I have never known then Sydney Uni Colts coach NIck Ryan put so much effort into acquiring a player and when he first came down from Orange I knew why. He had “Wallaby” written all over him. He’ll play 50 Tests.

One thing I like about him is that he’s not an angry player. He’s not hot-headed and just belts people or runs through them with sheer physical exuberance. Another one the Waratahs let get away.

Boomer

Alfred Walker (16)
You're dead right when you say he's no hot-head.

I felt he faded in and out of a few S14 games this year, as young blokes will tend to do, but obviously won't have that luxury on Saturday night.

That said, I hope you're right, I hope he gets a start and that he tears it up.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The young bloke will be up to the task.

I have never known then Sydney Uni Colts coach NIck Ryan put so much effort into acquiring a player and when he first came down from Orange I knew why. He had “Wallaby” written all over him. He’ll play 50 Tests.

One thing I like about him is that he’s not an angry player. He’s not hot-headed and just belts people or runs through them with sheer physical exuberance. Another one the Waratahs let get away.

I saw a lot of him with Uni last year on the telly and then up close with the Force and I didn't necessarily have him as test class yet, but he is as honest a toiler as you'd want to see and I don't mind that in the Wallaby squad.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Isn't he a 6 usually? Deans is pretty tight with using the bench, and I doubt he'd sub Elsom of (as he's captain). So he'd be playing out of position.

If the hype is right, I think he may be the guy were looking for.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Do you think Genia is going to put a fair amount of pressure on himself? Form player of the Super 14, got injured and missed the first Wallaby game - then came straight back into the starting side and didn't play amazingly. Injured again, now back straight into the starting team after a few weeks layoff - if he doesn't perform again like we know he can, do you think Deans will keep faith with him or drop him?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Isn't he a 6 usually? Deans is pretty tight with using the bench, and I doubt he'd sub Elsom of (as he's captain). So he'd be playing out of position.

If the hype is right, I think he may be the guy were looking for.

Played at lock for Uni and at blindside for the Force. He might have occasionally subbed at lock during the season long injury crisis over here.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I usually don't look at the selections of players in Wallaby matches too closely, as I considered that most of the players are good enough. The attitude the team plays with is more important than the names of the players but you don't know what it is until the whistle blows.

The team is much as expected given the recent injuries to Ioane, Hynes, and Hodgson.

Chisholm is the only player dropped on form from the 22, (for Simmons). Daley, Edmonds and Valentine make way for Robinson, Moore and Genia who have all recovered from injury with Burgess dropping down to the bench, joining McCalman who replaces the injured Hodgson.

The back 3 are the same but they have been moved around as on a Rubik cube which means that Australia's best fullback is playing in his favourite position, and that Mitchell gets a reprieve, though on the other wing.

It's not quite moving the deck chairs on the Titanic but with so few professional players in Oz and only a portion ever at the level to be considered for test duty, we don't have a range of choices when a wave of injuries strikes.

If the Wallabies front up enough to get enough good pill and deny the Boks their share they should be able to run the Boks around enough to make their big guys less effective.

In the Bok team Aplon replaces the suspended JdV, who should have been playing 12 anyway and not on the wing. Januarie is dropped from the 22 as Bok fans have been baying for, and replaced by Pienaar who had a marvellous 2nd half last Saturday. If he gets crocked the excellent utility Hougaard will get a shot. But where is Duvenhage?

They'll lose nothing swapping CJ for BJ at THP.

The big surprise for me is the dropping of openside flanker Francois Louw who is supposed to be tired. Kankowski moves from the bench to the blindside flank with Burger moving to the open side. They are going to miss Louw's fetching ability, tackling and work rate, but are signalling an indication that they will run more with the pill. If they wanted to drop Louw they should have started fetcher Dewald Potgieter. Pocock should thrive.

I reckon that we'll win this one, but if we play as we did in the last two test matches, we won't.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
That's a good initiative from Matfield- although this system of punishment has been in place for years in Subbies, although instead of a monetary fine it is usually an alcoholic one. Should be widened to include generally stupid penalties (looking squarely at you, Dick Brown), missed tackles and other assorted fuckups.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
That's a good initiative from Matfield- although this system of punishment has been in place for years in Subbies, although instead of a monetary fine it is usually an alcoholic one. Should be widened to include generally stupid penalties (looking squarely at you, Dick Brown), missed tackles and other assorted fuckups.

+1.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Lee:

Don't know if you're watching the Cheetahs WP game on the Fox this afternoon but Duvenhage is such a good player. He looks a serious contender as a long term Bok option.

I agree about the imbalance in the bok back row but I think it's not as unbalanced as people think. Burger has played many games as openside and although he is not an out an out fetcher, he gets right into the rucks and will disrupt. Pocock might pinch a few but I don't think he'll have it all his own way as people seem to suggest. As you rightly note I think we will miss Louw's work rate and defense. Big ask for Kanko and could define his test future.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Matfield announces that any SA player incurring a yellow this Saturday will pay up to the team...serious stuff:

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/TriNations/Yellow-carded-Boks-to-pay-up-20100722

I think it's not commented on enough just how much these yellows at just those key times cost the Boks in NZ - if there's none in Brisbane, they will be much more dangerous.

Another bit of proof that the senior players run the boat. While Piet Div is runnign around making a fool of himself, the players are trying to fix their game.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
:) :) :)

Didn't know it was on so switched from my recording of last nights TdF - and the first word I heard was Duvenhage. I kid you not.

Status
Not open for further replies.