• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Springboks, Brisbane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Bruce we are not that far off.

I indicated that the Wallabies don't have the strength and power of the Boks so they shouldn't try to match them in that department for 80 minutes. Trying to match them would just tire them out as they have been so many times in the second half in recent years.

They should use those rucking techniques I talked about to make the superior strength and power of the Boks less relevant and to generate quick ball which would give the Boks strength nowhere to go.

By avoiding as many of the blowfly against the windowpane situations as is credible the Wallabies will be able to finish fresher and that's what I meant when I said they had to exhibit better fitness. I assumed folks wouldn't think that I meant such fitness could be increased between one test and another.

I'm no expert but I'm sure that you can't get a relevant increase in strength without a long managed conditioning programme. I also think that by keeping an up tempo game we can tire the Boks out so their strength is blunted.

In our days of pomp either side of the 1999 RWC we were known as the smart team as we made up for our strength issues and technical issues by avoiding or defusing those things we were not good at and playing to the things we were good at.

I would like our team to be a strong team in body, mind and technique and still a smart team. Until those strength issues are addressed we have to play with smarts and technique so our players can finish test matches in a fitter state.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
An interesting analysis regarding the bok defense.

For some reason our defense has gone to shit.

In summary I think there are three reasons:

1. Not dominating the collision, which allows the attacking side more space and quicker pill and stretches the defense at the start of a move. This area is paramount at the moment and defines a game.
2. Attitude. The amount of times our defenders were in position to tackle and hesitated drove me nuts. It adds to giving the attackers space and time.
3. Offensive tackling, a mainstay of the South African game and sorely lacking against NZ. Most of the Boks tackled like pussies.

Our game feeds off defense and if the defense creaks, the whole thing gets wobbly.

Anyway, interesting stats. I hope and trust we will see a much improved attitude in defense this week. It's hardly difficult to improve from these kind of stats.

http://www.keo.co.za/2010/07/22/bok-defensive-wall-cracking/

The Springboks’ defensive statistics make for woeful reading from a South African perspective, says GRANT BALL.

It is said defence wins Test matches and World Cups, and on the evidence of the past two weekends, the Springboks need a notable improvement in their defensive structure and commitment if they’re to defend their title in New Zealand next year. Two bonus point losses and eight tries conceded (three less than the Boks conceded in six matches in last year’s competition) should be enough of a wake-up call, and the stats of certain individuals are alarming.

After the loss in Auckland, John Smit said it’s difficult to defend for so long with so little ball, but Bok sides in the past have often thrived when the opposition have possession and they have the opportunity to smash them back. In Wellington, Smit got his wish and the Boks shaded possession, but what they did with it was the problem, while defensively, they weren’t good enough in tackle completion rate and physically imposing themselves at that area.

In Auckland the Boks missed 29 out of 195 tackles, or one every six and a half tackles. The All Blacks missed seven out of 125, or one out of every 18. Smit said there would be an improvement in Wellington if they had more ball, but the Boks were just as bad. The Kiwis were actually worse defensively in Wellington, but the Boks couldn’t take advantage.

In the second Test, the Boks completed 166 tackles and missed 25. The hosts made 139 and missed 10, or one in every 14, and while it was a poorer showing than in Auckland, the Blacks were still far superior.

Schalk Burger was monumental in defence at the Cake Tin, making 19 tackles and 11 assists, missing just two. BJ Botha made 13 tackles in 40 minutes, while Gurthro Steenkamp has completed 33 tackles in two Tests – an enormous work rate for a prop. Along with Francois Louw, the above quartet have repeatedly got through work, but importantly, have also showed the hunger to try knock the opposition back. Victor Matfield also got through lots of work in making 19 and missing three, but his effectiveness in driving back opponents was sub-standard as players such as Ma’a Nonu and Richie McCaw bumped him off.

Smit missed five tackles and made four, and Zane Kirchner was only asked to make three, but missed two. Pierre Spies has also been woeful in this regard, and although he made 12 and missed two, a player with his power should be more imposing.

The Blacks dominated the collision in both Tests, as they breached the gain line 76.29% of the time in Auckland, compared to the Boks’ 60.34%. The Boks improved slightly in Wellington as they got over the gain-line 65.75% of the time, but the hosts were again better at 67.86%.

The most talked about change ahead of the Australian Test has been the axing of Louw. Yes he was tired in Auckland, but bringing in Ryan Kankowski out of position in an unfamiliar role won’t aid the Boks. Louw made 17 tackles and missed just one and hit 33 rucks – 21 on his own ball and 12 on defence or in a counter-ruck. Will Kankowski near those numbers in an unnatural position?

Stats can’t show the effort in scramble defence or defensive lines in the kick chase, but it doesn’t take a defence guru to note the Boks have been poor. Australia are set to try run the Boks off their feet and counter-attack as much as possible. With many Boks looking jaded, the Wallabies will try move them around and from side to side, while Will Genia and Quade Cooper will also take ball through the middle with the defence spread, as they’re at their best when they run at tired forwards.

The visitors have stated their intention to try keep more ball in hand, but no matter how much their attack improves, if they aren’t defensively better individually and as a unit, they can’t expect to win their first game on tour.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Bruce we are not that far off.

I indicated that the Wallabies don't have the strength and power of the Boks so they shouldn't try to match them in that department for 80 minutes. Trying to match them would just tire them out as they have been so many times in the second half in recent years.

They should use those rucking techniques I talked about to make the superior strength and power of the Boks less relevant and to generate quick ball which would give the Boks strength nowhere to go.

By avoiding as many of the blowfly against the windowpane situations as is credible the Wallabies will be able to finish fresher and that's what I meant when I said they had to exhibit better fitness. I assumed folks wouldn't think that I meant such fitness could be increased between one test and another.

I'm no expert but I'm sure that you can't get a relevant increase in strength without a long managed conditioning programme. I also think that by keeping an up tempo game we can tire the Boks out so their strength is blunted.

In our days of pomp either side of the 1999 RWC we were known as the smart team as we made up for our strength issues and technical issues by avoiding or defusing those things we were not good at and playing to the things we were good at.

I would like our team to be a strong team in body, mind and technique and still a smart team. Until those strength issues are addressed we have to play with smarts and technique so our players can finish test matches in a fitter state.

Lee, I think we've always been and I hope will always be just about the smartest team in world rugby. But rugby is in large part about the collision and the contest for the pill and those are areas that we've struggled with in the last couple of years. We regularly get blasted off the park by the AB's, especially at the tackle and that shits me to tears, frankly. Against the Boks, I agree that an up-tempo game to run their big forwards around is the way to go. It's our more natural way to play anyway. Australian rugby has always been about ball in hand and I think if we stick to that and play with great precision we have a chance. Maybe even a good one. Quick ruck ball will be absolutely crucial.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Good thing we have the 2 best fit halfbacks in the world.

Ah c'mon laddy, you're drawing a long bow by saying 2. Possibly best fit halfback. You're only as good as your last game, and Genia was pretty average.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Ah c'mon laddy, you're drawing a long bow by saying 2. Possibly best fit halfback. You're only as good as your last game, and Genia was pretty average.

He looked to be battling to raise a gallop out there. That knee was obviously still bothering him.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
He looked to be battling to raise a gallop out there. That knee was obviously still bothering him.

Yeah. He did the thumb while he was out there too, didn't he? Still, those factors in mind, I thought he still did way too much dicking around at the base of the ruck.

HodgoBerro

Bill Watson (15)
Looking forward to this game,*I won 2 corporate box seats to the game as part of the Qantas Frequent Flyer Upgrade Competition. I get to meet John Eales & get free food & drink & rugby goodies :) I will post up a review and photos :)

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yeah. He did the thumb while he was out there too, didn't he? Still, those factors in mind, I thought he still did way too much dicking around at the base of the ruck.

True enough, but the kiddie is class. I reckon by this time next year he ought to be spoken of in the same terms as FdP.

B

Bod

Saw this earlier :-

Run on reserves

16. Stephen Moore (Brumbies)

17. James Slipper (Queensland Reds)

18. Rob Simmons (Queensland Reds)

19. Matt Hodgson (Western Force)

20. Luke Burgess (NSW Waratahs)

21. Berrick Barnes (NSW Waratahs)

22. Kurtley Beale (NSW Waratahs)

This raised my curiosity - what other types of reserve do you lot have in Aussie? Do you send them on riding unicycles? cartwheeling? parachute them onto the paddock? fire then on from circus cannon, drag them on screaming?
Just a thought!

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Actually, as of late they've been doing fuck all running on, and loads of sitting on thier arses watching the debacle.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
Some very good points there jay-c.

I agree that Dunning should not be considered as despite his experience, his s14 season was not great.

Baxter would be an option for me, if he wasn't injured, for a couple of reasons - his s14 form, his international experience. I recall very well the Wallaby scrummaging disasters of the past, the latest being all too recent (although many of them didn't involve Baxter at all). The unfortunate thing is that having suffered through Baxter's rough initiation into international scrummaging, we are not now benefiting from what he has learnt (which is quite a lot - you don't put one over the English front row if you haven't), because he has not been selected.

Waugh is close to the end of his career, no doubt, but whilst he is around I'd like to see the things he has to offer utilised. I'm not saying I'd pick him ahead of Pocock, but it would be nice to have him in the team to add that all so elusive 'mongrel', see also experience, will to win, leadership in a tight match...what a shame he doesn't play in one of the many positions the Wallabies are weak in.

In the case of all 3, you haven't made clear how they didn't 'do it', nor what the other options have done better.

hmmm i believe that if the world cup was tomorrow baxter would be in the squad although since its another year away i believe its best to give mafu and extra 15 caps so hes a lot better prepared for the world cup>
lets be honest with ourselves we dont have the squad to beat nz in nz and sa in sa this year but after another year we may well do and although baxter may have moved past his seven year rough introduction to international rugby (and jeeesh its been a long rough seven years) but after watching replays of the recent games i belive mafu looked very busy and comparing where hes at now to where he could be in a years time as opposed to where baxters gunna be in a years time i thihnk the pros far outway the cons of having mafu in the team over baxter
last year baxter had his best s14 to date and hes was treated the same by refs in the tests as always, this year hes had his best year again but again i fear he will always hold his reputation> props in my opinion are on the field for a primary reason to scrum and i doubt his ability to do this in tests he also doesnt do enough else for me to have him in the team at the moment> for a bloke his size how often do we see him bashing the line, and his pick and gos arnt that flash either, his not noted for his defence>>>also jus look at his sole try in 100 state caps and one in 69 tests>>> now before everyone tells me backs score the trys and forwards win the game after this many attempts to me hes not backin up>

waughs leadership is something that has been talked about for years and his team mates all praise him for this however when you consider his woeful record in finals football for the tahs> being convincingly outplayed in every attempt > id suggest theres a few areas hes found wanting. hes good in tight but i doubt thats the directiuon the wallabies are planning on takin the next few years as we dont dont have the size to play that combative style against nz or sa
being only an openside i think hes only of use to a team where hes #1 ranked in that position and i believe hodgeson outperformed him in his few force caps in that position this year + hodgeson can also play @ 8
i also thik hes too small to provide mongrel at international level> or to have much of an impact as anything but a pilferer> what we need is bigger stronger higgenbothan types not small ineffective tough buggers

points taken on board thou > i guess jus being a tah supporter over the years and watching these two fail when it comes to finals over the years makes me a bit bitter>>> i like leaders who can lead from the front> take charge> break a line> hurt someone in defence>> not that i ever liked mortlock as captin but without doubt his finest moment as captain was after barnes had been injured (youngest guy in the team)against wales in the las wc he lined up (gareth thomas init?) the bugger and fkn nailed him then nailed one of his mates to totally stamp his authority on the game.
smit can have that kind of impact, mcaw can have that kind of impact and this is who i compare waugh too when i thik of captains

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
by the way anyone checked the current tri nations standings?
aussies in second > woo hoo!!!!!!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Bod - very droll. :)

Lee, I think we've always been and I hope will always be just about the smartest team in world rugby. But rugby is in large part about the collision and the contest for the pill and those are areas that we've struggled with in the last couple of years. We regularly get blasted off the park by the AB's, especially at the tackle and that shits me to tears, frankly. Against the Boks, I agree that an up-tempo game to run their big forwards around is the way to go. It's our more natural way to play anyway. Australian rugby has always been about ball in hand and I think if we stick to that and play with great precision we have a chance. Maybe even a good one. Quick ruck ball will be absolutely crucial.

Hornet - have you been reading my mail? Seriously I have probably have written what you have quite a few times. The only part I disagree with is that it has been in the last couple of years when we have struggled. IMO it has always been like that unless, by exception, we had a few tough, aggressive forwards whose careers aligned like planets around the rugby sun.

It can be galling to see our lads dominated. I remember last year how we had our pants down at the Cake Tin and got thrashed 33-6. Had we not seen that so many times it would have been unaccountable. Yet the forwards had fronted up when we smacked the Boks in the previous game. Yours truly and others doubted we could back that Suncorp physical performance at the Cake Tin but hoped we would be wrong, but we weren't.

You're right: ball in hand is how we play the game and always have and probably always will. We have made some progress in the scrums which regressed with our injuries and our lineout hasn't been too bad in the professional era. Restarts have been problematic in the last couple of years but give or take our fowards have done well in many areas..... except ...

..... consistent physicality in the physical contests - consistent from game to game, from home to away, from year to year, and even from one part of a game to another. Part of that is the fitness issue of strength that Bruce talks about another is between the ears and another is lack of ticker.

Another part is that our fellows have been brought up by their father and uncle coaches as nippers to run with the ball at all costs, as the coaches were by their relatives. It's only when they get to Colts and sometimes even Grade that they appreciate that their rugby education has been 3rd World stuff. Some are still learning on the job on the playing fields of NZ and the RSA in Super rugby against players who have been there and done that years before.

I made the comment in the U/20 thread that although we had some big dogs in that team that made the final in Argentina, the Kiwis had young wolves. The NZ senior players are the same most of the time but ours are almost always like dogs.

Like the strength issue: there is no quick fix.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

Yes. If there was anything stupider than letting a key player like Genia play with a still-unfixed knee in Sydney (knee injuries can easily be worsened if not completely healed and rehabed...ask Hynes btw, someone else that should not have played in the BaaBaas with an unfixed knee), it was the lunacy of sending TPN back into that second BaaBaas game and he re-injured or re-flared-up his ankle/foot problem which then definitely ruled him out of any June Test (or Tris so far). Many of these risks to crucial player have been inexcusable. (I am sure Hynes' skills will be missed in the Tris, let alone TPN's.) Another place where the 'building depth' line has been inconsistently applied - you don't preserve depth by risking key players whose injuries are not 100% fixed and properly established to be so.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
it was the lunacy of sending TPN back into that second BaaBaas game and he re-injured or re-flared-up his ankle/foot problem which then definitely ruled him out of any June Test (or Tris so far)

My understanding was that he gets told his ankle is screwed towards the end of the S14. They do the operation and he misses the Tri-Nations. They take the punt on a cortisone shot, it might work and he can continue playing. That doesn't work so he still misses the Tri-Nations and then has to wait for the shot to clear his system and being a proud Two Blues unit plays on one leg to help his side.

Status
Not open for further replies.