• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Tri Nations - AUS v SAF 23rd July 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
Great attacking play, but I thought the message at half time was be patient. Did anybody listen? You are rarely going to score a try with first phase ball, so why not straighten up, take a few steps and go to ground. Why do we think it is a fucking hot potatoe that must be off-loaded every single time with high risk pop-ups?

That made me frustrated too. It was like watching a 7s game. Some practised phase play in the last 20 would have helped them prepare more for the ABs game than playing hot potato. Apart from that, well played to the whole squad.

S

Stickybeak

Great stuff. Genia is just outstanding, don't know where we would be without him. I like JOC (James O'Connor) on the wing, he is a majestic try finisher. McCabe and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) are just what we need, they made a fair few solid tackles together, pushing the boks back behind the gain line.

I wouldn't change much for next week. Elsom hasn't done too bad, but there are world class backrowers on the bench itching to get a go, he needs to really perform next week.

The forwards are the key: they did a good job of adjusting their commitment to each breakdown. I don think there was a successful counter ruck from the meat eaters - but that raises more questions than it answers: the awesome blackness are superior all round athletes and have a 6th sense for viable counter rucking: unless and until we have a forward display against them in which we avoid any counter rucking turnovers i remain to be convinced. Until then any halfback's performance is at risk from lack of adaptability in the forwards.

Nathan Sharpe should be a worried boy: Horwill and Simmons are a far superior combination not playing like an inside centre trapped in a forwards body. Funnily enough, when Sharpe came on he played a tighter game than I have ever seen him play at any level: I assume he is reading the signs the same way I am. The work rate of the numbers 4 and 5 is what gave Genia the room all halfbacks need.

McCabe was good - better than I expected: but I don't think last night was a real test of him. Ma'a Nonu will ask him some serious questions the answers to which will determine his fate.

7/10

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Quade needs to reel in some of those Carlos Spencer moments...

He can do 100 amazing things, but it will be that one arrogant piece of play that will cost a game...

Just like when the Reds lost to the Canes...

He actually did something similar early in the game last night and thankfully the Boks couldn't hold onto the ball...

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Nathan Sharpe should be a worried boy: Horwill and Simmons are a far superior combination not playing like an inside centre trapped in a forwards body. Funnily enough, when Sharpe came on he played a tighter game than I have ever seen him play at any level: I assume he is reading the signs the same way I am. The work rate of the numbers 4 and 5 is what gave Genia the room all halfbacks need.

I expected Simmons to not quite make the grade but he and Horwill went pretty well. Simmons seems to call himself in the lineout infrequently but it works, esp with the options available. Be interesting to see them up against a stronger pairing than the Saffers put out last night.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)

He can do 100 amazing things, but it will be that one arrogant piece of play that will cost a game...

He actually did something similar early in the game last night and thankfully the Boks couldn't hold onto the ball...

He got ridiculously loose in the second half, crossed the threshold (brilliant --> loopy) as the wobs put those tries on early in the first half.

He needed a slap but of course Genia, Elsom and Pocock were subbed. I say Genia first because he often takes matters into his own hands and plays it tight then kicks himself when the situation demands.

I think Cooper getting too much good ball is like smack for an addict - he will eventually overdose.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Simmons played well, but didn't think his lineout calling at test level is quite there yet...

We managed to disrupt the Boks who were missing some key forwards, but our lineout didn't look overly steady either, and there was a throw with no jumpers...

But definitely promising...

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)

Or just like the time the Reds beat the Blues to make the Super Rugby Final for fun. See what I mean? He needs to play like that from word go, otherwise if he starts pulling that shit out during a World Cup semi, his team mates are going to have no fucking clue what's going on. Wait for the Bledisloe in Brisbane to see how a few more games make the difference.

S

Stickybeak

Did you see his effort in the U20s (21s?) a few years ago? He's lucky that isn't still held against him

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
I still think McCalman, while has a high workrate, does not really have the impact at no.8, he doesn't get over the advantage often.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I believe Simmons calls the lineouts for the Reds... although their lineouts weren't exactly the best of the Australian teams either...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Or just like the time the Reds beat the Blues to make the Super Rugby Final for fun. See what I mean? He needs to play like that from word go, otherwise if he starts pulling that shit out during a World Cup semi, his team mates are going to have no fucking clue what's going on. Wait for the Bledisloe in Brisbane to see how a few more games make the difference.

There's a time and a place.

You don't do a crossfield kick straight to the opposition winger inside your own 22m when a clearance is required.

Cost his team one game this year. Luckily the Boks weren't very good last night and didn't capitalise on the opportunity.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
I thought QC (Quade Cooper) was great last night, and bought a spark to the wallabies as did genia. not the same Aus Rugby were seen over the years. Like the Gits and barnes game and that kick kick kick.....We finally have another fresh number 10 that likes to attack and great vision and will make something from nothing and that will get all the wallaby fans excited again... And once the boys get use to him, there will be some exciting rugby. Im sure the were a lot of NSW fans last night excited to see QC (Quade Cooper) and Genia play together and be able to cheers for them.

Give that team a few more games together and the non RED boys in the AUS back line will click with cooper and make for some awesome try's and line breaks

Cant wait for NZ

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I agree about time and place but you could also argue he should have kicked the ball from inside his own 22 rather than stepping the chasers in the lead up to the first try. I dont want to see that sort of instinct drilled out of him, just tweaked a little.

A

antipodean

Or just like the time the Reds beat the Blues to make the Super Rugby Final for fun. See what I mean? He needs to play like that from word go, otherwise if he starts pulling that shit out during a World Cup semi, his team mates are going to have no fucking clue what's going on.
Deans does like mercurial first five-eighths for WRC semi finals...

T

TOCC

Cost his team one game this year. Luckily the Boks weren't very good last night and didn't capitalise on the opportunity.
you can repeat that all day long, yeah it might have cost one game, but individual brilliance from cooper also handed then another 3 or 4 games on a platter....

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
you can repeat that all day long, yeah it might have cost one game, but individual brilliance from cooper also handed then another 3 or 4 games on a platter....

Eh... I'm not doubting his individual brilliance, or his ability to create tries out of nothing situations.

I think there's a difference between having the vision to see an opportunity and capitalising on it, and a random shot in the dark that leads to turnovers.

Quade had a very good game. But it was a few bad passes from being perfect.

As I think Scotty perfectly stated, his talents just need to be tweaked so it's more Stephen Larkham and less Carlos Spencer.

T

TOCC

Eh... I'm not doubting his individual brilliance, or his ability to create tries out of nothing situations.

I think there's a difference between having the vision to see an opportunity and capitalising on it, and a random shot in the dark that leads to turnovers.

Quade had a very good game. But it was a few bad passes from being perfect.

As I think Scotty perfectly stated, his talents just need to be tweaked so it's more Stephen Larkham and less Carlos Spencer.

After 4 season of watching Quade i think everyone now recognizes this.. That he plays on a knife edge(this is the 'difference' which you refer to), a cross field kick from his 22 could have worked because generally the wingers are standing deeper, if it paid off we would have been singing his praise.. therein lies the issues, the fine line between success and failure for quade is so fine because he pushed it to the edge, some people will love him for it, and others will despise him.

I agree he needs to bring a bit more composure into his game for the tight matches.. but last night wasn't exactly one of those matches where it was needed

Status
Not open for further replies.