• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Tri Nations - AUS v SAF 23rd July 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

I don't support the calls to drop McCalman but I don't get the Samo love. I would prefer Dennis over Samo.

I don't support the calls to drop McCalman for Samo either, admittedly i would like to see how Samo goes even if its just off the bench, but i don't realy want him starting..
As for Dennis replacing McCalman... that would be a step backwards considering Dennis is one of the lightest forwards in the squad. We need a bigger bloke to get across the advantage line.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I think this may have affected Hodgson but it definitely did Pocock; the ref was all over him every time he looked like getting his hands near the ball in a ruck. That kind of attention is always going to diminish his usual impact and, for me, is the main area where Richie still outshines him.

Whether it's the captaincy factor or the invisbility cloak Richie would still have found a way to get pilfers and slow the ball down just that much more than Bam managed to do last night.

A

Anyaussiesidewilldo

Appologies if it has already been discussed, can any one tell me what the scrum penalty was for the 1st (or 2nd?) SAF points. We pushed thier scrum backward about 5 meters and got penalised. The ref said "Too much pressure". Stephen Moore came up in the scrum, but the penalty was against Kepu I think. It's got me totally puzzled. How can you put to much pressure on a scrum?

edit. actually, dont think it was points

T

tranquility

Had bought a cheap ticket since my rich brother in law was overseas and nobody knew where his Platinum member tickets were but I moved myself around the stadium before the game and ended up near the cheap private boxes. Was chatting to a bloke over the barrier and got some nice beer batter fish and chips and brewed coffee handed over from his box.

This is ace, I love a good grift. This would have made Henry Gondorff from the Sting proud I reckon.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Y'know, I reckon the Boks could easily go down 0-4 in the Trinations. Can't see them getting close to the ABs next weekend and they'll have no combos when their other players come back against the Wobs and ABs at home. By then the Wobs and ABs will have well and truly shaken the rust out.

Could be a shocker for the Boks going into the World Cup.

Marvellous!

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Great kicking from JOC (James O'Connor) last night. His action looked very consistent, it is coming together well. If he can continue to kick like that it will go a long way at the WC. When he is on the wing he has a lot less to worry about than when he is playing 10/12, so he can be much more focused on kicking.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Appologies if it has already been discussed, can any one tell me what the scrum penalty was for the 1st (or 2nd?) SAF points. We pushed thier scrum backward about 5 meters and got penalised. The ref said "Too much pressure". Stephen Moore came up in the scrum, but the penalty was against Kepu I think. It's got me totally puzzled. How can you put to much pressure on a scrum?

It wasn't points, we were in their half IIRC. I'd rather our scrum get pinged for being too good in the opposition half than obliterated in our own half!

A

Anyaussiesidewilldo

It wasn't points, we were in their half IIRC. I'd rather our scrum get pinged for being too good in the opposition half than obliterated in our own half!

Me too. I didn't know you could be penalised for being too good. Is this a rule? or a referee mistake?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Me too. I didn't know you could be penalised for being too good. Is this a rule? or a referee mistake?

I wouldn't complain. The Wallabies have been on the other side of that equation in the past. RWC 2003 and Mr Watson would be the first question asked by many English fans.

T

TOCC

it was "too much pressure" before the ball was in.. the springbok scrum was pushed back 1m before the ball was even in..

Its a 50/50, you could have rightfully blamed the Boks for not taking the pressure, but i think the Ref got the call right, the Wallabies were practically pushing before the ball was in.

Reactions: DPK

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I expect JOC (James O'Connor) to bag at least a hatrick this TN. Without the pressure of being the only offensive weapon in the backline I think he will find some mecurial form.

As for the refereeing of Pocock, every single breakdown the referee was shouting "number 7, number 7", and in a few instances he had to correct himself as Pocock wasn't even at the breakdown. I wouldn't be surprised if this worldcup we see very few tunrovers. Their seems to be so much focus on Richie and Bam in every game they play, that the only way to get a turnover at the breakdown will be through counter rucking.

A

Anyaussiesidewilldo

Thanks TOCC, that makes sense. It was frustrating the bejesus out of me, I totally missed the obvious. I agree, correct call in retrospect.

S

Stickybeak

I hope that what the ref meant was that Moore popped out first and hence he was guilty of standing up and that he stood up because there was too much pressure: if he did pop out first then that would justify a penalty for standing up. I would love to hear a more plausible explanation from someone - the scrums don't need to become any more unfathomable.

On that score its galling to watch the lenience shown to scrums other than ours now that we are competitive...think back to Al Baxter's struggles in Auckland: if you're South African or NZ and you stuff up a scrum against Australia its pounds to peanuts you get a reset....which brings us back to the point: when has NZ or SA ever had a ref call "too much pressure"

S

Stickybeak

it was "too much pressure" before the ball was in.. the springbok scrum was pushed back 1m before the ball was even in..

Its a 50/50, you could have rightfully blamed the Boks for not taking the pressure, but i think the Ref got the call right, the Wallabies were practically pushing before the ball was in.

Plausible - but he doesn't call it until much later and the correct call is pushing before the ball came in......how come when that happens to us we get down for not taking the hit?

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
See Tocc's post above, stickybeak. Pushing before the ball was in is the most plausible explanation.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I hope that what the ref meant was that Moore popped out first and hence he was guilty of standing up and that he stood up because there was too much pressure: if he did pop out first then that would justify a penalty for standing up. I would love to hear a more plausible explanation from someone - the scrums don't need to become any more unfathomable.

On that score its galling to watch the lenience shown to scrums other than ours now that we are competitive...think back to Al Baxter's struggles in Auckland: if you're South African or NZ and you stuff up a scrum against Australia its pounds to peanuts you get a reset....which brings us back to the point: when has NZ or SA ever had a ref call "too much pressure"

On that line having just re-watched the game you can see the Saffa LH turn and bore in on Alexander three times before collapsing after the Walabies start to drive them back on their ball. On each occassion the half back was allowed to clear the ball and play on when the appropriate penalty should have been awarded to Oz. This was in fact dangerous play.

Status
Not open for further replies.