• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Tri Nations - AUS v SAF 23rd July 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gladiator

wallabies vs springboks last 20 minute's .

scoreboard for the last 20 minutes , was 14 - 0 in favour for the springboks , what does this say about the players who came on from the bench ? no impact ?

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
This really shouldn't be made into a new thread, it fits perfectly in the match thread.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Possibly. Game was won though, and I have rarely seen a side play well after the bench is cleared out like that. I thought losing Genia and Pocock really took the wind out of our sails.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
The bench players need time, especially in games like these, so they can be ready for when it matters. It's an easy investment of 14 points.

T

TheNextBigThing

It was a replacement strategy aimed at closing out the test match (A. Fainga'a, Higginbotham) by muscling up in defense and in that respect it seemed to have failed. Not too concerned though as there was a leadership crisis and a massive lead which can lead to complacency.

Got a text from my old man who put it very well, "Wish they hadn't taken the boot off the neck".

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
I still think McCalman, while has a high workrate, does not really have the impact at no.8, he doesn't get over the advantage often.

Agreed, but against New Zealand we can get away with his lack of impact because workrate will be more important.

IMO it should be selected on a horses for courses policy. It probably won't happen though.

Samo - or possibly higgonbotham, but I am not convinced of his workrate - should play against England and South Africa for his superior physicality, impact in the tackle and at the gain lain.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I was pretty disappointed with the input off the bench, the bench should add enthusiasm and dynamism. None of that was there last night.

I hope it was the lack of decent time (and the weather) to develop some accuracy but ...................................... they were all over the shop.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
With respect. In the last 20 Cooper was trying anything he wanted. Yes the replacements and the injury to Beale did change things but with the game already won there was a devil may care attitude amongst the payers.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Great to be at the game after seeing that funny light in the sky yesterday morning. It was the bloody sun; I had forgotten what it looked like and was expecting a wet match.

Had bought a cheap ticket since my rich brother in law was overseas and nobody knew where his Platinum member tickets were but I moved myself around the stadium before the game and ended up near the cheap private boxes. Was chatting to a bloke over the barrier and got some nice beer batter fish and chips and brewed coffee handed over from his box.

Er, the game?

Some impressions were:

• Australia's lack of depth, already noted midweek on the 2010 EOYT, as if we didn't know about it before then, was confirmed last week by the dirt-trackers against Samoa. It was evident again last night when the Oz bench couldn't lift their team as much as the Bok reserves lifted theirs.

• Before the game they showed highlights of the 2010 Bloem test on the big screen, After being 33 points ahead I got a bit nervous that a similar big lead would be whittled down again. You would take a win by 19 points against the Boks every day of the week, but once again in a 3N match the Wallabies faded.

• The early Oz lead made the Boks chuck out their game plan and they contributed to an entertaining game. What was noticeable was a lack of interest of both teams to take it up the middle as there didn't seem to be a lot of pick and goes. Oz will be better served in the next game to earn the right to go wide.

• Some of the Oz passing was manic: as if they had to score a try to win and the siren had gone, every time. The backs should work on recycling in the next couple of weeks and scrap the miracle passes - not that some forwards, such as Alexander, were entirely innocent on the matter.

• Goal line defence of the Wallabies was a highlight in some games last year but was not flash last night as the Boks scored two quick goal line tries in two attempts. Maul defence was poor and the boys didn't seem to know that if they all chose to unbind and leave the maul, the maul laws still applied, even if the Boks were rumbling ahead by themselves.

• The scrum was good. Last week Alexander showed some improvement – oddly, by standing up sometimes. This indicated that his feet were in a better place not to hinge down all the time. Last night he did well against Greyling, who I rate as a scrummager, and Kepu had no trouble against Kruger as was expected. Kepu has returned to his Tahs pre-injury form in all areas and is showing a rare attribute: being able to scrummage at LHP and THP at the highest level with equal facility.

• The midfield of McCabe and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) was a nice counterpoint to some of the manic game breaking efforts of the other backs.

• What you don't realise on TV is how influential Quade is. Although he created 3 of the tries he didn't have his best game because some of his kicks and passes were ropey. But he has that X-factor quality that makes opponents pause and watch him, which gives his outsides and insides a few steps on defenders.

• Not much joy for the Boks. Morné Steyn was poor, Pienaar not much better, Aplon, whilst brilliant on attack was weak on defence, and Olivier made McCabe look like Horan.. Was disappointed in Johnson, Kruger had an unhappy debut and Smit would not have stopped criticism at home.

All that and losing by only 19 points was more a function of some poor Oz kicking and handling plus a lack of patience, but the Bok comeback from 33 points down had a lot of merit. Hargreaves doesn't look like a Springbok but Rossouw does, and from the bench Deysel earned his pay and Lambie looked much better than Steyn.

• The anthems were highlights of the night the young Oz girls and lead singer were super, and the SA choir was brilliant.

G

GC

Y'know, I reckon the Boks could easily go down 0-4 in the Trinations. Can't see them getting close to the ABs next weekend and they'll have no combos when their other players come back against the Wobs and ABs at home. By then the Wobs and ABs will have well and truly shaken the rust out.

Could be a shocker for the Boks going into the World Cup.

T

TOCC

out of all the reserves i was probably dissapointed most in Hodgson, gave away silly penalties and didnt really provide the boost that one would hope from your reserve openside flanker in a game which is just starting to open up a bit.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
Seeing Scott Higginbotham on the wing in the last 10 minutes would have given a few posters on this board raging hard-ons.

Braveheart, it is looking at your avatar that has that effect on me. No offence to Scott Higginbotham but he's not my type. He is getting good at that chip kick though.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I haven't yet commented on the match, will watch it again this arvo before I make any observations.

One thing I will say is I am surprised how much credit Simmons is getting. Thought he was solid without being brilliant, far from the best on the field. Lacks punch in contact for me. But maybe I missed something, will have another look in a bit.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Yeh I thought Simmons was solid, not his best game, but outplayed Sharpe after he came on.

On Higginbotham, even though he ended up on the wing, i thought he had a few dynamic runs when he came on, he is very strong in contact, even when caught flat footed

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Congratulations Rocky. That was a fair step up in performance and if it is good enough to bag you, it is also good enough to praise you.

Simmons and Horwill were great in combination, scrum looked good. Kepu was sensational. Our tight five played well tonight.

I don't support the calls to drop McCalman but I don't get the Samo love. I would prefer Dennis over Samo.

Happy to see Quade go like a headless chook at the back end of the game. If he had of toned it down it would of been at Phipps detriment as Phipps needs that experience being only a Genia injury away from starting.

There looked to be a good vibe amongst that team and a sense of Reds type comradery. Great to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.