• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Tri Nations - AUS v SAF 23rd July 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
No offence intended but who cares?!? On the evidence tonight the problem will not be 9-15...

Really? I thought tonight was a game of the backs. Our critical tries were counter-attacking long-range efforts, against the run of play.

Surprising, for a wet ground.

gone

Ted Fahey (11)
Really? I thought tonight was a game of the backs. Our critical tries were counter-attacking long-range efforts, against the run of play.

Surprising, for a wet ground.

That's what I meant 9-15 are not a problem, 1-8 are to varying degrees...

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Great stuff. Genia is just outstanding, don't know where we would be without him. I like JOC (James O'Connor) on the wing, he is a majestic try finisher. McCabe and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) are just what we need, they made a fair few solid tackles together, pushing the boks back behind the gain line.

I wouldn't change much for next week. Elsom hasn't done too bad, but there are world class backrowers on the bench itching to get a go, he needs to really perform next week.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
The Wallabies delivered exactly what we asked of them tonight didn't they?

For me I was rapt with our forwards. They shone in all areas. I don't kid myself that was a dominant SAffa forward crew, but our boys did all we could ask and some more.

Other than some strange kicking options in the last 20 rapt with the backs also. Gelled brilliantly, serviced by a centre pairing with go forward.

SAffa subs were very good, don't think I can say the same of ours.

Onto a considerably tougher assignment next up, but now we know we can win!

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Ok maybe not world class, but Palu, Higgenbotham, Hodgeson, Robinson are unlucky to be held back by someone not exactly performing.

what? expanded

Elsom - 9 tackles, 4 runs, 45m, 1 offload, 1 try assist.

The only other fwds to come close was;

Moore, 1 try, 8 tackles, 6 runs, 43m, 1 linebreak, and
Ben Alexander 1 try, 9 tackles, 1 offload, 3 runs, 23m, 1 linebreak

He was everywhere tonight. As a BSF Rocky just led from the front. Best of all he still isn't at match fitness level for him.

Best tackle count - Pocock(14), best ruck maul Horwill (7)

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Fair enough i take it back. The stats i read on super15 earlier were pre-mature. Didn't realize he did so much work off the ball, i assumed it was all Pocock and McCalman, and that our running #6 would need to be more effective if that was the case.

S

saulih

There's still a problematic gap between our best and second xv...

However, still a few players to return and plug that gap...

As replacements the 2nd XV players will do okay, just don't put 'em all on at the same time.

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
Elsom played well. I can't believe anyone can question that. Sure he has played below par for the last year, but don't forget he played for around 20 months of rugby straight, which is pretty much unheard of. Of course you're going to be jaded and below you're best.

IMO, being injured for the super season was a massive blessing in disguise. He will be rested and be able to peak in time for the RWC. Based on 2nite he is looking like he could be about to regain the form he had in Ireland. Here's to hoping.

D

daz

Yup, the boys did ok tonight. Pretty much what I expected. Two things did grab my attention though:

1) Quade needs to remember that some of the squad are not too familiar with his razzle dazzle. a few red hot passes went into the ground because they were unexpected. You are not in the S15 anymore QC (Quade Cooper). Settle a bit, mate, and give everyone time to catch-up.

2) Great attacking play, but I thought the message at half time was be patient. Did anybody listen? You are rarely going to score a try with first phase ball, so why not straighten up, take a few steps and go to ground. Why do we think it is a fucking hot potatoe that must be off-loaded every single time with high risk pop-ups?

Anyway, that is all I really had to gripe about. All in all, I'm pretty happy with the response from last week.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Good win and the side can only improve as combinations get better. McCabe/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) combo in midfield looks good and is a more balanced backline than another playmaker at 12. This game showed with Genia/Cooper in halves there really is no need. Hodgson was still ineffective when he got on and will probably be the only player to struggle to stay in the 22.
It will be interesting to see if Robbie takes a 5/2 split for the next game. He won't want to be in the position of needing to take a back off for a prop against the ABs. He can either direct swap Hodgson for Samo or bring Gits back.

Status
Not open for further replies.