• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Tri Nations - AUS v SAF 23rd July 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Agree a lot with what's been written on McCalman he just doesn't have enough impact on the game sure he does make his fair share of tackles but he's not driving anyone backwards or causing turnovers.

I think it's time Samo or Higginbotham are given a start until Cliffy comes back.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think that Big Dog Ben McCalman gets sold a bit short on here sometimes. He may not catch the eye like a Palu or Samo, but does the unflashy grunt work consistently and doesn't seem prone to having the odd off day or mad moment like the other two either. Rocky is your impact-with-ball-in-hand loose forward.

Ideally, I'd want him playing 6 instead of Elsom with Palu at 8.

Larno

Ward Prentice (10)
Two points from that:

1. I don't think mccalman needs to be great with the ball in hand in tight but it would be good for balance if one if our loose forwards was. Rocky for me isn't good in tight with ball in hand but is good wider out.

2. If mccalman was making some more dominant tackles it would balance out. At the moment he is making tackles but the likes of ioane and McCabe make more dominant tackles. There was one point he backed off instead of going up and driving the Boks back.

It might end up being a horses for courses selection at 8 and also depend on who is in the tight 4 (eg slipper in for Alexander brings a higher workrate in the tight 5 and may better allow for a samo or Palu to play 8).

Fair enough.

One thing to note about the game was a distinct lack of cards and what seemed like a low number of penalties for a test. Both teams playing it relatively safe re dodgy breakdown work and hard stuff perhaps? Excluding CJ van der Linde's (was it?) little neck pull in the first half of course.

R

rugbyfan

Why is Samo suddenly the option to go with in the future? Have I missed something...sure, he went phenominal at Super 15 level, but it's international level we are talking about. Everyone seems to be ragging on McCalman who is 99% more aggressive than Samo

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Why is Samo suddenly the option to go with in the future? Have I missed something...sure, he went phenominal at Super 15 level, but it's international level we are talking about. Everyone seems to be ragging on McCalman who is 99% more aggressive than Samo

I'd like to see what Samo has to offer. It's a wonderful problem to have.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I reckon Deans will manage Sharpe's playing time carefully in the lead up to the WC. IMO he is needed fit big time. Him and Horwill are first choice for the big games, experience, workrate and LO work.

Where OZ have been lacking is that 3rd and 4th lock, because let's face it Mumm is not test standard, 3M was always broke. Simmons looks like a decent prospect, but it's early days.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Much better effort from the forwards. Thought the front row were excellent and Kepu had a blinder in defence. Simmons and Horwill were also very good.

Plenty of x factor in that backline and the straight running of McCabe and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is a good foil to all that dazzling stuff.

T

TOCC

Simmons did very well tonight, he was calling the lineouts and also pinched 2 Bok line-outs towards the end of the match.. not bad for a young bloke..Scrum also did well which is a tick for the locking partnership.

Horwill and Simmons could well be our starting pair if they keep up the good form.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Interesting. Samo went "phenomenal" at super rugby but McCalman should get the Wallaby gig because he is more aggressive. he hasn't looked aggressive. in fact he has looked off the pace. World cup year the future is the next 10 weeks. Lets see is Samo is up to it. Before the world cup.

T

tranquility

I really hate the, 'this is a test match' line. If a bloke beats his opposite week-in-week out at super level he is good enough to play a test match. If he doesn't cut it, then so be it. However to write a bloke off on those grounds is rubbish.

F

Fredfreduels

Given the performance tonight, if all the possible players for the wallabies were available, what would be your backline?

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Given the performance tonight, if all the possible players for the wallabies were available, what would be your backline?

Drop AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) for Mitchell to come into the back line with Digby into 13.

Or, shift JOC (James O'Connor) into 12 and move McCabe out to 13.

Out of the entire back line, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is the one out of form this season and even tonight he looked slow of the mark.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Genia
Larkham
Campese
Horan
Mortlock
Mitchell
Burke (Someone's gotta kick the goals...)

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Sharpe is weak. Great over the ad line against weak opponents but otherwise paedistrian. On the bench for me. McCalman not good enough. Reputation for being tough and that's probably true but is not effective. There is a difference. That match proves the end of Giteau.

R

rugbyfan

Interesting. Samo went "phenomenal" at super rugby but McCalman should get the Wallaby gig because he is more aggressive. he hasn't looked aggressive. in fact he has looked off the pace. World cup year the future is the next 10 weeks. Lets see is Samo is up to it. Before the world cup.

I was intending to imply that both players have had impressive super 15 seasons, it's just I think people easily look for other options if a player has '1' bad game. I doubt you will see Deans take Benny out of the team because he believes in stability, taking players in an out of the team based on 1 bad game would just be silly. I have found Ben to be one of the more aggressive players in the pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.