• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Tri Nations - AUS v SAF 23rd July 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Braveheart.

Surprised Lambie starts on the bench, the back three looks weak without him. Forward pack is undermanned but still bulky.

Agreed. Lambie is the SA equivalent to JOC (James O'Connor) and it's beyond me why they haven't selected him in the run-on side.

He had a great year for the Shorks, IMO a better option than Gio Aplon.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I don't think Sharpe and Giteau have 'taken the blame' for Sunday. You forget that they were not the only people dropped, and you could equally say Timani, Hodgson, Phipps, Davies and Gerrard also took the blame. And did you really expect Williams or Rocky to resign/be sacked after one game against Samoa? Please.

Gits was always in danger of losing his spot if Deans favoured a crash-baller at 12. He did, so Gits goes. Sharpe is less easy to explain, but maybe he wanted to see what Simmons can do given a full 80. That is the only selection I disagree with, but it is hardly unforgiveable.

No, not sacked. Of course not (although i think Williams should have been sacked long ago). And no, I don't forget that other players were dropped. The difference is blindingly obvious though. All the other players you list are fringe players. Giteau and Sharpe are senior players. Dropping them is a big move, especially the latter.

I find the Giteau non-selection understandable and I'm not surprised, still think he was unlucky though -- especially to drop out of the 22 entirely. You may well be right about Sharpe, but that is still an odd choice to make after dropping a game that really should have been won.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's a bit rough on Giteau as he deserves to be in the squad based on his form this year, but as Barbarian has just mentioned with McCabe at 12 and a 5:2 split there just isn't space for him...

Depending on how players go on the weekend we could potentially still see a McCabe/Fainga'a centre partnership... particularly as McCabe is in better form than AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)...

However, I still see McCabe as more of a future 13...

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
No, not sacked. Of course not (although i think Williams should have been sacked long ago). And no, I don't forget that other players were dropped. The difference is blindingly obvious though. All the other players you list are fringe players. Giteau and Sharpe are senior players. Dropping them is a big move, especially the latter.

I find the Giteau non-selection understandable and I'm not surprised, still think he was unlucky though -- especially to drop out of the 22 entirely. You may well be right about Sharpe, but that is still an odd choice to make after dropping a game that really should have been won.

Interesting comment there.....apart from history, why was that a game that really should have been won?

I think it's exactly that line of thinking that bought the Wallabies down on SUnday.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Not read the thread, but in a one liner, I think your team is a little small. And the yarps shoudl be able to physically dominate you.

However, the talent should see you through & I'll predict you'll win.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Bullrush - Tom Carter made more line breaks and tries than SBW but less try assists and line break assists.

Looking fwd to the centre clash this Sat, will be very telling. No Fourie is a let off IMO.

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
Jeez, Hodgson was lucky to escape the axe. He was pretty avarege on the w/e. Robbie has already made the big decisions with Sharpe and Giteau, so you would think dropping Hodgson would be easy.

Giteau is a case of 'we know what he can do and it ain't gonna change before the world cup'. As much as they deny it, Robbie is still using the remaining trination games to test whether the players have performed in super rugby really have it. If the world cup was tomorrow then Simmons, McCabe and Phipps would be nowhere near this squad due to their lack of experience.

In the end he is just doing what he said he would, which is selecting based on super form. As much as people don't like it, and I'm certain this comes from not watching any of the brumbies games, McCabe was a standout at 12 in his last few games for the Ponies. McCabe was developing and improving his performances at such a rate that he is the preferred option at 12 over Fainga'a. Whilst Fainga'a is deserving of a wallaby jersey McCabe has the potential to fulfill his role and exceed his performances.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Interesting comment there.....apart from history, why was that a game that really should have been won?

I think it's exactly that line of thinking that bought the Wallabies down on SUnday.

Just based on history. And I agree with you. Samoa played fantastic and deserved their victory, no question.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)

Because every game should be won. I certainly hope they don't go into games v the ABs thinking "there's no way we can win this, but lets put up a good show"

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Just based on history. And I agree with you. Samoa played fantastic and deserved their victory, no question.

Fair enough. I gotta admit that I would expect any AB team to be able to beat Manu Samoa. In saying that, watching the game with my cousin on Sunday, I made the comment to him that with the calibre of players we had in the team and the level of competitions they were individually now playing in, I couldn't see how the score-line would blow-out as it usually does. Manu Samoa had some pretty recognisable names and some really good talent in that run-on XV. Unbelievably happy when we won.

Because every game should be won. I certainly hope they don't go into games v the ABs thinking "there's no way we can win this, but lets put up a good show"

I actually like this. But there is a fine line between backing yourself and disrespecting (or not having enough respect for) your opposition. I think the Wallabies strayed into the 2nd one on Sunday and paid the price.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
We almost need two centres that can come of the line quickly and make strong tackles in defense when you consider the size of the remainder of the backline. I assume we are looking for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to be our defense leader, so I hope he steps up to the mark. I wouldn't be surprised to see him subbed for Fa'ainga in a direct swap at some stage if he is struggle to have the right defensive impact.

I like our backline from an attacking point of view. Cooper has two hard running centres - McCabe straightening and possibly coming inside, with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) being able to run strongly into gaps. Second line of attack can be lead by Beale in behind them setting up the remaining outside men. I expect Beale to play at 12.5 and 13.5. I would also be tempted to run set plays with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) swapping with JOC (James O'Connor).

But of course if Alexander and Kepu do more ruck watching, it won't matter what the backs do.

T

TOCC

Move on people, stop bringing up trivial subjects, the selection of Carter and appointment of Deans has been done to death and in fact have there very own threads, it's a bit monotonus reading the same shit over and over

Everyone is entitled to there own opinion, but try not to hijack threads by using it in the wrong area,

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
I think Deans is right.

He is using this under strength side from SA as his last possible chance to blood some of the extended squad while still fielding a strong enough team to win. There are some obvious omissions because they are dead certainties for the WC team. This will be the last chance for some of the fringe players to get any game time and that game time might be invaluable for their confidence if they get called into the squad at the WC...

He is also giving some players one last chance to show last week was just a blip (Hodgson, McCalman, McCabe) and they are worthy of the WC squad. If McCalman plays like that again, Samo/Palu combo at 8 is a must.

All of that said, i would have liked to see JOC (James O'Connor) at 12.

H

high tower

Pat McCabe being described as a crash ball centre suggests he plays like Nathan Grey, who hit the line with low body height and never showed much inclination to pass.
Lets see how he goes outside Cooper before his made out as being so one dimensional.
His combination of speed and reasonable size and track record of straightening the attack should create more room outside for Digby, JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale. Coopers ability to hit all these guys with long passes while McCabe and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) keep the midfield defenders from drifting out will hopefully create more opportunities.

H

H...

It's a bit rough on Giteau as he deserves to be in the squad based on his form this year, but as Barbarian has just mentioned with McCabe at 12 and a 5:2 split there just isn't space for him...

Depending on how players go on the weekend we could potentially still see a McCabe/Fainga'a centre partnership... particularly as McCabe is in better form than AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)...

However, I still see McCabe as more of a future 13...

Who cares how good Giteau's Super rugby form has been? He's been a waste of space at 12 (and 10, but that's for another thread) at test level 90% of the time for a long time.

G

GC

We got a tighthead playing loosehead, a loosehead playing tighthead, an inside centre playing wing and a wing playing inside centre. Makes perfect sense.

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
I'm throwing it out there, but i think Giteau should be 12. He has a very crafty running game. I don't know if 10 is his position.

McCabe, whilst i am not questioning his courage against Samoa, i don't know if a battering ram of a 12 is what we need anymore. Against good defensive sides this may not work? Unless O'Connor has a roaming type role possibly? We need to let the ball sing!

As for McCalman, was he even on the field against Samoa? Samo or Higginbottom should be the number 8

I know our backrow and our commitment to the breakdown against Samoa wasn't great but Phibbs had more than enough ball to show what he could do with it. The fact he is the second best halfback is an insult to the position to anyone who plays the game at a professional level in this country.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Saffer tean confirmed as the one I posted before:

Gio Aplon, Bjorn Basson, Juan De Jongh, Wynand Olivier, Lwazi Mvovo, Morne Steyn, Ruan Pienaar, Ashley Johnson, Danie Roussouw, Deon Stegmann, Johann Muller, Flip van der Merwe, Werner Kruger, John Smit (capt), Dean Greyling.

Reserves: Chiliboy Ralepelle, CJ van der Linde, Alistair Hargreaves, Jean Deysel, Charl McLeod, Adrian Jacobs, Patrick Lambie.

Surprised Lambie starts on the bench, the back three looks weak without him. Forward pack is undermanned but still bulky.

Lambie has played most of his rugby at 10. Not surprised they aren't starting him at 15.

Not sure what's weak about the back 3. Very quick and Aplon has a good boot.

It's a very physical pack but not a skilled one in any way. It will be kitchen sink with no fuss.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Agreed. Lambie is the SA equivalent to JOC (James O'Connor) and it's beyond me why they haven't selected him in the run-on side.

He had a great year for the Shorks, IMO a better option than Gio Aplon.

Playin 10 until the last 2 matches. I agree he should have started but I can see why they are cautious. I am happy he is being managed carefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.