• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Tri Nations - AUS v SAF 23rd July 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RuckinGoodStats

+1.

When a goal kicker is lining up, I usually go through my TV routine to put them off the kick. You know, making the sign of the evil eye, holding my tongue a certain way, muttering "miss it you bastard" under my breath. The usual mockers.

With Steyn (much like a certain Jonny W a few years ago), I take a toilet break or top up my beer. You know with almost dread certainty that 3 points are about to be added to the total...

Yeah with my computer programme if it knows it Steyn then it almost loads the over part of the programme in certain parts of the field. Not all mind you and he is starting to have a bit more of a go on the statisically low kicks.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
No doubt. Having said that, This is the first game a full-strength Wobs team will be playing together for 2011. I expect some rustiness, to be honest.

Now before I get hammered, I will say that I expect the Wobs to make a statement this weekend. I expect them to win. However, I don't expect them to win by a huge margin. Just get the combo's, chat and game-plan working and I will be happy.

Agreed. This week should be a statement of intent, especially in the pack. I'm not expecting razzle-dazzle, but I am expecting key areas to be improved upon, especially the breakdown.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The more I think about it the better I feel about the backline that is being put out by the Wallabies this weekend. Yes the centres aren't to flashy but we have options all over the field and one of the huge improvements in Quade's game this year has be his ability to take the correct option. McCabe can crash the ball up and we all know how well AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) can run into a hole(remember the SA game at Suncorp in 09). Quade will hit them when he wants. Behind that line he will be able to hit Beale who will link well with JOC (James O'Connor) when that option is on and off his sholder will be his running back Diggers who will take the ball in traffic and make meters almost every time.

The forwards are more of an issue as I don't like the balance of the backrow. I would have liked Samo at 8 as he can provide go forward with ball in hand and pulls off some big hits that will set the standard for the game early on. McCalman while normally a busy player doesn't seem to have the impact I would like.
Elsom has been past it since his return from Dublin. I am so sick of him stopping or slowing down before contact. When playing for Leinster he would bust through the defensive line at will but he no longer offers this as part of his game.
Pocock I can not question as we need him but Hodgson wasn't up to it last week and if we need a back up 7 I would have liked to see Robinson get a run.
I have no issue with the locks. Simmons and Howill work really well together at the Reds and this will be a great test for them. Sharpe is still there to be injected if required and I don't see it as a reflection of his game last weekend that he is on the bench.
The front row just confuses me. OK Moore is the best hooker available but Kepu was going great at THP for the Tah's and they want him to play LHP. Alexander didn't have a great year at the Ponies playing LHP and they expect him to return to the heights of 09 when he was playing well a THP. The front row is a bit more complex than that. Guys need to have some consistency in where they play to maintain form. We really need Slipper back ASAP and I hope that Benn manages to recover in time for the RWC. As for the back up prop I am lost for words. I would have picked Weeks, Holmes or even Blake in the squad ahead of the rubbish that they have dished up. I hope that the guys here find some form but I wont hold my breath.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
+1.

When a goal kicker is lining up, I usually go through my TV routine to put them off the kick. You know, making the sign of the evil eye, holding my tongue a certain way, muttering "miss it you bastard" under my breath. The usual mockers.

With Steyn (much like a certain Jonny W a few years ago), I take a toilet break or top up my beer. You know with almost dread certainty that 3 points are about to be added to the total...

That is dedication Daz. Mine normally involves a quick piss and trip to the fridge for another beer.

Reactions: daz

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It was over 40m...

McCabe heats up the track in CA Brumbies speed testing
Monday, 16 November 2009

Brumbies Media Unit

Now you see him... Pat McCabe races past in speed testing

CA Brumbies fullback Pat McCabe has continued an impressive pre-season by topping the CA Brumbies’ speed testing at the Australian Institute of Sport today.

The squad took part in a series of 40-metre sprint time trials and vertical leap testing, before pairing up to go head to head in six repeat 30-metre sprints.

While the group was without their Wallabies contingent, McCabe narrowly outpaced James Stannard and Shaun Foley to finish with the quickest time of 5.02 seconds over 40 metres.

McCabe says the results are little more than a guide through the pre-season.

“It’s probably the best I’ve done in a lot of [the pre-season speed tests], so it’s a nice way to start off,” he said.

“It’s a good benchmark against the other guys, it gives you a good idea of where we’re at this time of year and let’s you see how you’re progressing as you head towards the season.

“[The pre-season’s] been tough. This is the start of the second week and everyone’s starting to get back into the swing of things and really enjoy it. It’s only the start of week two so there’s a long way to go and there’s no point in training if you’re not looking to make improvements.”

CA Brumbies 117-kilogram lock Sitaleki Timani was the quickest of the forwards at 5.18 seconds.

CA Brumbies Strength & Conditioning Head Coach Rod Lindsell says the results are a starting point for the players.

“These tests give us a rough indication of where the guys are athletically at this early stage of the season,” he said. “The trick for us is transferring these results onto the field but for the time being it’s more about ensuring the guys are making improvements more than focusing too much on the times themselves.

“We’ve done a variety tests in pre-seasons gone by and we’ve trialed some new ones this year but it’s all about collating the results and giving us something to improve on.”

D

daz

I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but I am slightly puzzled as to why Nick Phipps is the bench back-up to Genia this weekend.

As much as I think he has future potential, Phipps had a shocker against Samoa and I don't think the Boks will be any easier. I assume Genia is planning to play out 80 minutes, but still, anything could happen.

Surely there is a more-than-handy reserve 9 in Oz who ranks higher than Phipps?

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
I am perplexed by the selections of Hodgson, McCalman and McCabe in this Wallabies 22?! Is Beau Robinson and Samo injured, does any one know? Because I can't fathom how you would leave out these 2 guys - who have just had their best Super season and played in a championship winning team - out of the Wallabies 22. And wouldn't it have been the perfect time to bring in Anthony Fainga'a into the starting team to play alongside team mate Quade Cooper? Does Deans still not care about sting in defence and work at the breakdown? In my opinion Fainga'a offers this better than McCabe and is a smarter distributer of the ball.

No Giteau either...and in a 5-2 split! Phipps and Ant Fainga'a are the worst 5-2 split back options ever. What happens if Quade goes down? Or Beale?

I honestly don't see where some of these selections are going...4 games left before the World Cup and McCalman, McCabe and Hodgson are the best we have Robbie? I don't think so.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Robinson doesn't make it because Hodgson has been the better player for 3 years bow...

Samo is unlucky not to figure somewhere...

McCabe deserves his chance... If anything it's AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) that risks losing his place in the centres...

B

Braveheart.

Who takes control of our lineout has me curious.

I'd imagine it'd be Simmons - he ran the Red's lineout all year.

Unless the reasoning behind that was to take the burden off Kev, given his Captainship.

D

daz

If anything it's AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) that risks losing his place in the centres...

I think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) needs to shake whatever funk he has carried over from his ordinary S15 season. Quickly.

I love the guy, but by God, this is a bad year to carry any passengers. He was Mr. Invisible last weekend. A bad game here, and I think he might be in trouble.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Robinson doesn't make it because Hodgson has been the better player for 3 years bow...

Samo is unlucky not to figure somewhere...

McCabe deserves his chance... If anything it's AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) that risks losing his place in the centres...

Hodgson hasn't helped his team win a Super Rugby final, and doesn't have the physical impact a world class player like Beau does.

McCabe and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in the centres will starve the outside backs of any ball. Ant Fainga'a has a distribution game as well as stinging defence. If anything, I see the inclusion of McCabe and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) as a way of making up for the light weights like McCalman and Hodgson in the forwards packs. Got to get over the advantage line somewhere...

Still have no idea where Samo is. Bizarre selections.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
It will be musical chairs for sure, but they've pretty much all played every backline position anyway.

It just makes sooo much sense to bring Giteau off the bench for a straight swap for Cooper...or McCabe, hell even O'Connor or Beale. Even Genia. Giteau just offers everything, so I have no idea why he isn't there. I know Deans feeds us the bullshit "numbers on the back are irrelevant"...

D

daz

Hodgson hasn't helped his team win a Super Rugby final, and doesn't have the physical impact a pretty decent player like Beau does.

Had to fix that for you. Steady on the hyperbole Reddy!. Beau is a talent, but let's not start crowning him in a world XV, or even a world XXX, just yet.

Beau will get another gig this year, more often than not, I suspect. But Hodgson needs his chance as well.

:)

aussie1st

Alfred Walker (16)
Still not convinced with JOC (James O'Connor) at wing, I personally would have kept Davies but can understand why Deans wouldn't go down that route. Very surprised that Giteau wasn't on the bench but not too fussed about that. Can't wait to see how McCabe and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) go with the Reds halves combo.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hodgson hasn't helped his team win a Super Rugby final, and doesn't have the physical impact a world class player like Beau does.

McCabe and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in the centres will starve the outside backs of any ball. Ant Fainga'a has a distribution game as well as stinging defence. If anything, I see the inclusion of McCabe and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) as a way of making up for the light weights like McCalman and Hodgson in the forwards packs. Got to get over the advantage line somewhere...

Still have no idea where Samo is. Bizarre selections.

McCabe has a distribution game, and can kick... He offers everything Fainga'a dies but more lethal in attack...

Pocock hasn't helped win his team a title either...

Mank

Ted Thorn (20)
That's the worst Bok side I have seen on or off paper in many years. Samoa would beat them comfortably. Wallabies should really hammer them.

Interesting you think that, others have said it looks pretty decent. Are you sure you're not judging based on some names you don't know? All of these guys had a good year at S15, most are capped Boks.

Who would you replace and reasons?

Status
Not open for further replies.