• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Tri Nations - AUS v SAF 23rd July 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Looking at the bench, I guess the question is not "who do the players cover as injury" but "what impact will these guys have late in the game."

Hodgson isnt a good choice for that. Id of had Robinson (Im a Force fan too!)
Higgers is a good bench choice as he plays very loose and with a tiring opposition, his running will be invaluable. McCalman on the other hand plays much much tighter and also has a huge workrate. He is struggling a little to make the gain line. But in defence he is a monster.
Samo would have been a great option as he is big and can cover several positions and he works hard. But where does he fit? Hodgson is the cover for Pocock, Sharpe is there as a very experienced forward who will come on should we be struggling. The other spot was between Higgers and Samo. I think Higgers was the better option.

In the backs, I would have preferred Giteau on the bench to Phipps. He can cover 9 at a pinch, but he will do well confusing tired defences and opening up gaps for our other backs.
Fa'ainga is an interesting choice. He and McCabe are similar players. Both run hard at defences but dont really ask questions. But both are aggressive defenders. But I think as a late entry he will add some energy by charging out of the line and making a few big hits. That will lift the team, and if a turnover comes of it the broken defence of the Boks will give us a real opportunity.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Disappointed for Samo but looking through the Boks line up, I think Paarl is once again on the money.

We're going to tear those blokes apart - Wallabies 13+.

Also having both Hodgson and Higgers on the bench should have put Elsom well & truly on notice. If he's going shit - off he comes at half-time.

Who is vice-captain for us btw?

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Hey I finally predicted something, the backs bench and the starting backs bar the direct swap of McCabe and Giteau.

Not sure why some are questioning JOC (James O'Connor) on the wing, his combination with Beale at the back and filling in as a 2nd fullback type winger was very good last year.

And Scotty, bring on the Redabbies aye....

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
its bucketing down here Paarl and forecast to continue raining until the weekend so it could be low scoring/scrappy game.

I don't think this is Deans' best 22 just yet as I think Sharpe will be in the starting 15 and Giteau will be on the bench for a 5/2 split (he can cover everywhere in the backline and can kick if needed). What is happening with the players not in the 22 for this weekend? Some of them could do with a run in the shute shield (or equivalent).

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
its bucketing down here Paarl and forecast to continue raining until the weekend so it could be low scoring/scrappy game.
Dont think the rain will help the Bokke cause. With Aplon in 15 I expect him and Ashley to run it back and not much kicking from Steyn in this one, the Bokke will want to play phases this time with Danie and two grunting like locks.. Cooper will kick us to pieces if the weather is bad.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Hey I finally predicted something, the backs bench and the starting backs bar the direct swap of McCabe and Giteau.

Not sure why some are questioning JOC (James O'Connor) on the wing, his combination with Beale at the back and filling in as a 2nd fullback type winger was very good last year.

And Scotty, bring on the Redabbies aye....

You think hodgson was clearly better than Robinson? Robinson was one of the most important players for the reds.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I don't think Sharpe is being punished, I just think this is Robbies last oppourtunity to give Simmons a run against a side that we "should" beat.

My only dissapointment is Samo missing out. I can't work out if McCalman is ineffective, or I just don't notice all the work he does. I think we tend to under appreciate the tight work he does and only realise how much work Samo does because let's face it, it is pretty hard to miss a burnt palm tree running around.

But the Giteau dropping is huge news, just when you think you have Robbie worked out?? ?? ?? ?? ??

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Anyone else see that Cooper and O'Connor had a "kick off" at training to see who'd be the place kicker.
They tied so O'Connor got it cause he was the incumbent.

Not sure why they did this, goal kicking is Quade's most inconsistant attribute.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I agree Robinson would be a better bench player. Has a bit more mongrel and would make more impact IMO. Hodgo is a workhorse not an impact player.

grievous

Johnnie Wallace (23)

I don't think this is Deans' best 22 just yet as I think Sharpe will be in the starting 15 and Giteau will be on the bench for a 5/2 split (he can cover everywhere in the backline and can kick if needed). What is happening with the players not in the 22 for this weekend? Some of them could do with a run in the shute shield (or equivalent).

wet time is what we need, let it pour like a Wellington gale, might make the brainstrust remember something else about the WC campaign

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I don't think Sharpe is being punished, I just think this is Robbies last oppourtunity to give Simmons a run against a side that we "should" beat.

My only dissapointment is Samo missing out. I can't work out if McCalman is ineffective, or I just don't notice all the work he does. I think we tend to under appreciate the tight work he does and only realise how much work Samo does because let's face it, it is pretty hard to miss a burnt palm tree running around.

But the Giteau dropping is huge news, just when you think you have Robbie worked out?? ?? ?? ?? ??

Yep. But I didnt think I had Robbie worked out. Rain will be interestin too, a simulation of NZ in Oct may not be such a bad development

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
As shown in the video McCabe was very productive in a losing side against Samoa and deserves his chance. I think he offers more than Fainga'a and so too does Deans. He is also an option at 13 should Barnes return and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) not find form.
One of the Reds great strengths this year was the breakdown. Their backrow was sensational and was ably supported by Horwill (who is a legitimate option at 6 by the way). So it makes sense to include at least 1-2 of their backrow in the test side.
Higgers and Samo. Add Pocock to that and you have a balanced backrow that will match any other in all aspects.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
So Robinson is now a world class player?

Reading your posts 229 and 234 do you realise how boring it is for anyone who is not a reds supporter to read this state biased stuff on a Wallabies thread?

Super 15 is over, time to take the red glasses off and put the gold ones on.

Naming the number of my posts is sooo boring ^_^ Sorry you didn't like that post #239 ^_^

Anyway, me saying that Robinson is a world class player is irrelevant. It doesn't matter if this is true or not. But the underlying motive of my opinion is that I think Robinson would be a better player for the Wallabies than Hodgson. Nothing wrong with that is there? :p

If Hodgson and McCabe are there because of stats...I dunno, I think stats can be misleading. They only tell half the story. Stats don't include verbal interactions on field, simple communications between teammates eg. a look, sledging on field, being a pest in the ruck, winning Super rugby championships for fun. See what I mean. Like Hodgson and McCabe are good players, but they are probably robots, right. "I like to play rugby and run like a robot into a brick wall until I compile 12 effective robot runs". Get someone in there like Beau Robinson, who actually loves to wake up in the morning and smash people into the ground for fun because he knows he will win a trophy for it and then you are going to get somewhere. Seriously.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I think this game will be much closer than we hope. There will be rust - there always is at this stage of the Wallabies schedule. I reckon they may also have had their legs run off at training. Factor in the wet, and I'll take a win, thank you very much.

If I'm wrong I'll giggle into my chardonnay.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I don't get the state bias here.
It really doesn't matter how many players from each state are starting.
Obviously several Prominent Waratahs are injured and their positions taken by the next best player (most Brumbies by chance).
And if we did send out the Reds 22 as the Wallabies they would pretty much be destroyed by all comers, including Samoa.
Super rugby is finished and the RWC is a couple of months away. Everyone in the squad is a Wallaby.

Status
Not open for further replies.