• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Tri Nations - AUS v SAF 23rd July 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheNextBigThing

Pat McCabe being described as a crash ball centre suggests he plays like Nathan Grey, who hit the line with low body height and never showed much inclination to pass.
Lets see how he goes outside Cooper before his made out as being so one dimensional.
His combination of speed and reasonable size and track record of straightening the attack should create more room outside for Digby, JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale. Coopers ability to hit all these guys with long passes while McCabe and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) keep the midfield defenders from drifting out will hopefully create more opportunities.

I'm inclined to agree with you. Although I've watched Mccabe a fair bit recently I've never seen why he's touted as a centre. That being said keener eyes than mine have noticed his potential so I'm willing to wait and see how it pans out.

As far as his performance on the weekend goes. It may not have been pretty but it was exactly what Australia needed. He was the only backline player to consistently attempt to bring the point of attack to the Samoans. It's all well and good to have ball-players but it is important to be able to adapt and play ugly if your being pushed to the sidelines by strong defence.

Basically I expect more from Mccabe than I've seen so far, but I'm happy to wait.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
As I said on the Samoa game thread, McCabe's stats from Sunday were very good. I think this week will tell us a lot more about his Wallaby potential.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
He is using this under strength side from SA as his last possible chance to blood some of the extended squad while still fielding a strong enough team to win. There are some obvious omissions because they are dead certainties for the WC team. This will be the last chance for some of the fringe players to get any game time and that game time might be invaluable for their confidence if they get called into the squad at the WC...

Let's hope this isn't another case of under-estimating the opposition! I expect we'll smash them...

...but I don't know if I can take another loss.

H

H...

What dribble...

When did he last perform at 12 at test level against top tier opponents?

His Super rugby form doesn't count for shit, nor do flashy moments of brilliance against the likes of Japan or Italy.

Flat track bully.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
This game is the acid test for mine. If we can't front up and beat a second string Bok team, then I think we are in real trouble. In particular, we need to see some starch in evidence in the pack, as the Samoans showed more ticker and greater willingness at the breakdown. Sure, they were doing some of that illegally, but it was up to us to put a stop to it and we didn't. So for me it's almost all about the pack this weekend.

The midfield does worry me a bit too. Not in defence, mind you, as I think we'll be solid there. The problem is that we have two of the same type of player in 12 and 13. I worry about the ball not getting wide quick enough unless Cooper continually throws the wide flat pass, which in itself is a bit one-dimensional. I'm hoping that McCabe and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) show us some hitherto undiscovered passing/offloading skill. Make no mistake, I do rate both of these guys, but I can't help but feel that we may not ask enough questions in the middle of the paddock. Other than that, the backline looks pretty deadly. Hopefully we'll see Diggers, JOC (James O'Connor) and KB (Kurtley Beale) running off Cooper's shoulder all day.

We're playing pretty close to our best side on the weekend (injuries aside) and if we don't show more than last weekend, I think we're in real trouble.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Let's hope this isn't another case of under-estimating the opposition! I expect we'll smash them...

...but I don't know if I can take another loss.

That's the worst Bok side I have seen on or off paper in many years. Samoa would beat them comfortably. Wallabies should really hammer them.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Those two defensive centres will be good in attack as they will use their defense as attack. The reason I like Anthony Fainga'a for a centre position is that he is oustanding at pilfering ball and it can change the momentum of play very quick and put our X factor players on the front foot in an instant. We should see Beale pop up between them frequently as a link man to add that distributing game. Who takes control of our lineout has me curious.

I am just bloody excited to see Kev back in a Wallaby jersey.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
When did he last perform at 12 at test level against top tier opponents?

His Super rugby form doesn't count for shit, nor do flashy moments of brilliance against the likes of Japan or Italy.

Flat track bully.

He had some pretty good games at fly half for the Wallabies throughout 2008/2009. Don't think you are giving him enough credit, a lot of people hate Giteau and that seems to cloud their vision a little bit. I don't even think he should be in the starting team, but he is a pretty good player and i'm glad we have someone like him as cover if Cooper gets injured during the WC. Without Quade we will be much less likely to win, but all is not lost with someone like Giteau coming into the side. Just as long as he doesn't kick for goal.

*he played crap at 10 this weekend, but i'd attribute that to the teams tactics as much as anything. Not many fly halves play well when told to play one-dimensional, predictable, aimless running rugby all game.

R

RuckinGoodStats

I only have one reservation about picking Baxter: will he get murdered by the refs at scrum time? Other than that, I'd be happy to see him in a Wallaby jersey this year after the season he's had.

Pollack is the ref and he not big and scrum infringements based on his Super15.

R

RuckinGoodStats

Who would kick goals in that line up? Steyn or Lambie?
Steyn hands down. Lambie is a much better kicker when he is playing 10 than playing 15 for some reason. Steyn is just solid all day up and down the field he'll kick it and I can't find a dead spot on the field for him yet (except maybe the car park). Lambie is coming along nicely but needs a year or two to get the consistency to push Steyn off the tee...

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Pat McCabe being described as a crash ball centre suggests he plays like Nathan Grey, who hit the line with low body height and never showed much inclination to pass.
Lets see how he goes outside Cooper before his made out as being so one dimensional.
His combination of speed and reasonable size and track record of straightening the attack should create more room outside for Digby, JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale. Coopers ability to hit all these guys with long passes while McCabe and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) keep the midfield defenders from drifting out will hopefully create more opportunities.

How fast is McCabe in relative terms? Genuine question - I don't know.

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
I don't see a problem with Sharpe coming off the bench. Good to see Simmons get a run-on start, well deserved.

It's a long way between here and the end of October, we're going to need more than 2 game-hardened locks.

D

daz

We're playing pretty close to our best side on the weekend (injuries aside) and if we don't show more than last weekend, I think we're in real trouble.

No doubt. Having said that, This is the first game a full-strength Wobs team will be playing together for 2011. I expect some rustiness, to be honest.

Now before I get hammered, I will say that I expect the Wobs to make a statement this weekend. I expect them to win. However, I don't expect them to win by a huge margin. Just get the combo's, chat and game-plan working and I will be happy.

D

daz

Steyn is just solid all day up and down the field he'll kick it and I can't find a dead spot on the field for him yet (except maybe the car park)

+1.

When a goal kicker is lining up, I usually go through my TV routine to put them off the kick. You know, making the sign of the evil eye, holding my tongue a certain way, muttering "miss it you bastard" under my breath. The usual mockers.

With Steyn (much like a certain Jonny W a few years ago), I take a toilet break or top up my beer. You know with almost dread certainty that 3 points are about to be added to the total...

T

The_Riddler

How fast is McCabe in relative terms? Genuine question - I don't know.

You would have to think he is reasonably quick if he has played fullback and wing for most of his rugby life, and at a high level.

When is Palu expected back? I question his 80 minute ability and consistency. Where would he figure in current no. 8 pecking order? Clearly a position still up for grabs I reckon.

Status
Not open for further replies.