• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Tri Nations - AUS v SAF 23rd July 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Come on Bruce, now Tom Carter is huge and destructive? He's a good player, sure, but the barrow-pushing is getting a bit silly.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'd certainly argue that Carter is closer to being "huge" than McCabe and closer to being a "centre" than McCabe at this stage of his career.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
We don't need a second playmaker in the centers. We have Beale and O'Connor
When KB (Kurtley Beale) came on against Samoa he got into first reciever a lot and looked good, he can feed the ball around whilst Cooper sets up for his magic

Getting across the gain line from first phase was a big issue last weekend. We need someone who can take the ball up at 12 when needed. In the absence of a Nonu, I'm pleased McCabe is getting a shot at playing outside Quade.

R

Rev Spooner

Forget Carter - statistics can only highlight his mediocrity.

Wonderful to see the back of Giteau and Sharpe - those 2 bigheads have been coasting along for years.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Come on Bruce, now Tom Carter is huge and destructive? He's a good player, sure, but the barrow-pushing is getting a bit silly.

I've never worried about being regarded as "silly" even by people whose opinions I respect, Godfrey, but we have now arrived at the situation where the only options we seem to currently have at 12 are McCabe and Fainga'a. Carter is clearly bigger than either of them. Is McCabe really destructive at centre? There is a world of difference between running a ball back at speed from counter attack and going forward from virtually a standing start.

Once again we have people questioning my right to comment. I find that too a bit tiresome.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Hodgson got a big get out of jail card me thinks. His versatility across the back row is not a strong selling point in a 5:2 split bench. Beau would of been a better choice but Hodgson probably compliments a 4:3 standard bench.

Glad not to see Giteau in the 22. McCabe deserves to be retained but AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) mind as well be just be called teflon as nothing sticks no matter how bad he plays. Same can be said for Alexander. Baxter should of gotten the starting gig. I feel a bit for Sharpe but take nothing away from Simmons as he has earnt that spot. Sharpe will be valuable at the back end of the game with that experience.

More important is for Robbie to use his bloody bench. Please take not of how the Reds used theirs this season.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I've never worried about being regarded as "silly" even by people whose opinions I respect, Godfrey, but we have now arrived at the situation where the only options we seem to currently have at 12 are McCabe and Fainga'a. Carter is clearly bigger than either of them. Is McCabe really destructive at centre? There is a world of difference between running a ball back at speed from counter attack and going forward from virtually a standing start.

Once again we have people questioning my right to comment. I find that too a bit tiresome.

I wasn't questioning your right to comment at all, I enjoy and respect the vast majority of your posts. However, if you're going to make pithy remarks about Tom Carter being the obvious truth when people make posts supporting the alternatives (which is what I was responding to) then surely you can tolerate others doing the same?

brokendown

Vay Wilson (31)
I feel All three coaches will use this series to juggle players in different combinations,testing out fringe players in the big time,rather than against minnow sides in the early stages of the world cup,which tells us nothing.the game against the full strength Samoans already has shown us a few that wont cut the mustard

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Tom Carter discussion again? If he was good enough he would have been selected, that's pretty much all there is to it.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
I think Carter is a step to far for Deans, and that he won't see the green and gold during his tenure. That probably applies to pundits here too.

Carter is the antithesis of the "2nd 5" - strong in contact and marvellous in defense but not a distributor/stepper. Out-Fainga'aing Fainga'a may never be enough for him.

Of course, if Carter had a run in a red jersey he might be a chance. :fishing

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
I would not call Carter huge and destructive. He is a solid crash-baller for sure, but I have never seen him regularly smash through defensive lines like say SBW, 2003 version Mortlock, etc.

Actually Tom Carter made more line breaks than SBW this year. And 1 more try. He was not even close in line break/ try assists however. But SBW is a far less reliable defender. He may have made himself look like a twit a few times, but to have not even had a chance at a call up was rough. His contribution to the Tahs this year was huge.

Rapt to see MCCabe in, now wondering if AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will return to form...

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Actually Tom Carter made more line breaks than SBW this year. And 1 more try. He was not even close in line break/ try assists however. But SBW is a far less reliable defender. He may have made himself look like a twit a few times, but to have not even had a chance at a call up was rough. His contribution to the Tahs this year was huge.

Rapt to see MCCabe in, now wondering if AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will return to form...

Sorry - I'm confused. Did he make more line breaks than SBW or was he not even close??

Richo

John Thornett (49)
It seems like someone had to take the blame for Sunday and that rather than that being the forwards coach or captain, it was Giteau and Sharpe. Both unfair, IMO. Sharpe didn't have a great game, but he wasn't even close to the worst forward -- take your pick from Alexander and Hodgson -- and appeared to be the only player on the field offering any leadership at all until Genia came on. Sharpe was our most consistent forward last year and had a great Super season. Simmons deserves a place, but how an earth that is starting at Sharpe's expense is beyond me.

Hodgson very lucky, as was AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). Ben Alexander is charmed. The persistence in playing him at 3 is also borderline ridiculous.

Overall, though, it's a much much better side.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Saffer tean confirmed as the one I posted before:

Gio Aplon, Bjorn Basson, Juan De Jongh, Wynand Olivier, Lwazi Mvovo, Morne Steyn, Ruan Pienaar, Ashley Johnson, Danie Roussouw, Deon Stegmann, Johann Muller, Flip van der Merwe, Werner Kruger, John Smit (capt), Dean Greyling.

Reserves: Chiliboy Ralepelle, CJ van der Linde, Alistair Hargreaves, Jean Deysel, Charl McLeod, Adrian Jacobs, Patrick Lambie.

Surprised Lambie starts on the bench, the back three looks weak without him. Forward pack is undermanned but still bulky.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
It seems like someone had to take the blame for Sunday and that rather than that being the forwards coach or captain, it was Giteau and Sharpe. Both unfair, IMO. Sharpe didn't have a great game, but he wasn't even close to the worst forward -- take your pick from Alexander and Hodgson -- and appeared to be the only player on the field offering any leadership at all until Genia came on. Sharpe was our most consistent forward last year and had a great Super season. Simmons deserves a place, but how an earth that is starting at Sharpe's expense is beyond me.

I don't think Sharpe and Giteau have 'taken the blame' for Sunday. You forget that they were not the only people dropped, and you could equally say Timani, Hodgson, Phipps, Davies and Gerrard also took the blame. And did you really expect Williams or Rocky to resign/be sacked after one game against Samoa? Please.

Gits was always in danger of losing his spot if Deans favoured a crash-baller at 12. He did, so Gits goes. Sharpe is less easy to explain, but maybe he wanted to see what Simmons can do given a full 80. That is the only selection I disagree with, but it is hardly unforgiveable.

Status
Not open for further replies.